Your Round 1 Team?

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton plays alot like Jack wighton. Just needs to run and use that big body.. he does have a habit of not straightening up and running his outside players out of room. I think he will always be divisive because all 6s are a bit different and some people like creative 6s, others are happy with running 6s

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Tracey
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. critta
5. JAC
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Salmon

14. Mann
15. Curran
16. Poasa
17. Kautoga/Morrin/ Patolo(?)

18. Hutchison

Was impressed with Skelton.
Disappointed with knight, taafe and Burton.
I'm hoping that Burton was just taking it easy to avoid injury given it was a trial.

Also keen to watch O'Neil, papalii, Eli Clarke, Hayward continue to develop in cup/flegg, some real talent there.

Haven't watched the second half yet other than the highlights, so this may evolve..

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Well I don’t like fox at all, can’t stand the guy, so that’s the reason he ain’t in lol. And with Tracey. Will have to see him in a doggs jersey before I decide, he was amazing for the sharks agree.
Why don't you like JAC?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton plays alot like Jack wighton. Just needs to run and use that big body.. he does have a habit of not straightening up and running his outside players out of room. I think he will always be divisive because all 6s are a bit different and some people like creative 6s, others are happy with running 6s
I have to disagree. Wighton is a strong runner but he also has a decent kicking game in general play

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1. Crichton (I'd prefer Tracey over Taaffe if Ciraldo goes another way, I don't really want to see Taaffe starting personally, I also think Tracey needs to be in the starting team)
6. Burton
7. Hutchison
9. Mahoney

2. JAC
3. Xerri
4. Tracey
5. Kiraz

8. King
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Turpin (also wouldn't be upset with Mann - Mahoney can't play 80 regularly tho)
15. Morrin
16. Faamausili
17. Salmon (can play as a ball playing lock, spell Kiks in the second row if needed and can play centre or halves if needed)

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Tracey/Taaffe
2. Kiraz
3. Crichton
4. Xerri
5. Fox
6. Burton
7. Hutch (loved how he was doing the pregame talk)
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Mann
15. Posa
16. Knight (will be better for the run, but Morrin if he doesn’t improve next week)
17. Salmon

18. Taaffe/Tracey
19. Sexton

Really hard leaving out Wilson/ Skelton but iron sharpens iron and makes everyone better with the competition.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Tracey
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. critta
5. JAC
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Salmon

14. Mann
15. Curran
16. Poasa
17. Kautoga/Morrin/ Patolo(?)

18. Hutchison

Was impressed with Skelton.
Disappointed with knight, taafe and Burton.
I'm hoping that Burton was just taking it easy to avoid injury given it was a trial.

Also keen to watch O'Neil, papalii, Eli Clarke, Hayward continue to develop in cup/flegg, some real talent there.

Haven't watched the second half yet other than the highlights, so this may evolve..
Forgot about Harrison Edwards. He could be the 17 with versatility to play middle or lock and push Curran/salmon to edge.

APUP

Waterboy
Reaction score
One of the many reasons I would pick Hutch over Burton is he can play to the structure better than Burton.

Matt has a real problem choosing when to run or pass when there is an opportunity, plus Hutch is better in defense.
I didn’t think he played that bad? Give him an edge of fox, Critta and kiks and his running game will flow on from that. If the right side can generate some kind of attack it’ll only help burton

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why don't you like JAC?
Not sure, just not likeable lol. to me he is a storm has been, and he’s more of a show pony with no tricks. don’t like his attitude/antics. If he never played for us again I wouldn’t even mention it. We looked good today without him.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn’t think he played that bad? Give him an edge of fox, Critta and kiks and his running game will flow on from that. If the right side can generate some kind of attack it’ll only help burton
He didn't play that bad is the reason most people on here are not thrilled, after a big off-season he was supposed come out of the blocks firing and not an underwhelming performance. He's supposed to be our star player.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Would love to see this starting lineup in NSW Cup:

01. Joash Papali'i
02. Blake Wilson
03. Eli Clark
04. Bronson Xerri
05. Jeral Skelton
06. Blake Taaffe
07. Joseph O'Neill
08. Jack Todd
09. Jake Turpin
10. Lipoi Hopoi
11. Harry Hayes
12. Kurtis Morrin
13. Harrison Edwards

Would allow our youngsters to improve with some experience around them.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not sure, just not likeable lol. to me he is a storm has been, and he’s more of a show pony with no tricks. don’t like his attitude/antics. If he never played for us again I wouldn’t even mention it. We looked good today without him.
JAC would've destroyed this Storm team. He's one of my favourite players.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
JAC would've destroyed this Storm team. He's one of my favourite players.
And that’s good FREAK !! Just like Xerri an Taaffe are mine. Even before they joined us. We all have our likes an dislikes lol.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sexton came on against an even weaker Melbourne line up to be fair though.
It’s not really about the opposition though it’s the style of play and general footy nous

Burton looks like he played volleyball until 16 then got picked up for his athleticism

Sexton and hutch look like they had a footy in the womb. Both know how to straighten up at the right time and have awareness of who is on their outside and how their run will affect the decision making of the defenders 2 or 3 men outside them

Burton can improve drastically so easily, just run straighter. Even if it’s every second run just run straight and step off the left. 2 years later and he’s still sliding with the ball and dragging his own man out across and compressing the entire left side of the field. This isn’t even touching on his defensive issues, lack of leadership, poor general play kicking.

Hutchinson in burtons body is what everyone thinks Burton is right now

Edit: soz the quoted was about sexton vs hutch at 7 but point still stands. CC probably knows dropping burton is the right call as well

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
anyway,

1. Tracey
2. Kiraz
3. Burton
4. Crichton
5. Wilson
6. Sexton