Your favourite doggies centres from the 90s till present

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Kerrod Holland?
you got his number?
I need a cheap sparkie to look at my faulty garden solar lighting. They only work at night.
I do have his number but I can’t give it to you because he got a bit upset at me even because when I got it I kept texting him and hadn’t met him even though I was saying really nice things

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Now that we finally have some decent and exciting centres at the club for the first time in a very long time in my opinion, name 3 or 4 of your favourite centres from the past and tell is why. Try using players that were at the club from 1990 till present so the young spring chookens on here may remember them also. Dont name Critta, Xerri or Kiraz ( I reckon he is a genuine top shelf winger anyway)
I would start with Nigel Vagana. Probably my favourite centre we have had at the club as he was here at a great and successful time, but did so much for us in attack and defense and really shook up the comp with his tries. Very hard to separate him and my other favourite Josh Morris. Jmoz could do it all. Enough said. I also rated Willie Tonga highly. He always looked like he was about to make a break with every touch. That late jink and step at the line was phenomenonal and he could whack in defence. Love him or hate him, SBW when he burst onto the scene as a young centre was an absolute freak. His step, his defense and his offloads changed the game and our attack. Once in a generation player. They are 4 of my favourites and the ones I feel were the most rounded and stood out above the rest. Im excited about the future with the likes of Critta, Xerri and Skelton if he kicks on.
Darren smith,Willie talau

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vagana was definitely rated best centre in the comp for a while. Tonga might have been also or close. Don't think J.Moz was quite that but close also. Lolesi was worth a mention also.

Vagana
Tonga
J.Moz
Lolesi
Talau
Timu

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jarrod McCracken but also liked Nigel Vagana, prolific try scorer for us.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talau was always my favourite in the late 90's in a team that played well above its weight. Those diagonal lines with bulldozing runs were memorable.

Tonga and Vagana were obviously the flamboyant ones but also played in a top 4 team.

JMoz was good but I always felt he was a finisher rather than a creator for his winger. Brilliant in defence though.

An x-factor that hasn't been mentioned was Kristian Inu. Like Tonga he looked like he would create something everytime he touched the ball.

Honourable mention to Jackson Topine and Josh Jackson who filled in the role in the last couple of seasons....

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apart from the Belmore Immortals in Lamb, Mortimer, Folkes and Dr George…. Darren Smith would be my favourite player . Tough and versatile!
100%!
also a Farrar fan...C Mortimer was good as well....though both pre 90's to be fair...but they were our golden years..

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apart from the Belmore Immortals in Lamb, Mortimer, Folkes and Dr George…. Darren Smith would be my favourite player . Tough and versatile!
Darren Smith one of the best most consistent footballers ever.

Better at Brisbane as a centre. Better at Canterbury as a second-row, lock, utility. He was skilful. He was tough. He was the tradesman with class. I was gutted when he left us. Happy when he returned. Never played a bad game. Darren Smith makes any best ever 17.

In the 2002 season he start games at lock or second-row switch to dummy half when Hughes or Perry had to be interchanged and ripped games open.

As for centres. My favourites Farrar and Ryan. The best I saw Farrar and J Morris.

Darren Smith best utility to play for the club. The current batch of utilities combined don't even come close to one Darren Smith.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have his number but I can’t give it to you because he got a bit upset at me even because when I got it I kept texting him and hadn’t met him even though I was saying really nice things
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure if he gave you a chance to meet in real, he would warm to you. You would make him feel special.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
One of my fav centres and "utility" is Darren Smith. Hell of a player. One of the Legends of the club

And my claim to fame with him, was playing half a season of touch footy with him. Very surreal running and scoring off his passes...

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure if he gave you a chance to meet in real, he would warm to you. You would make him feel special.
I definitely would. I would read him some letters I wrote to him back in 2018/19 but kept in a drawer

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100%!
also a Farrar fan...C Mortimer was good as well....though both pre 90's to be fair...but they were our golden years..
Opponents hated playing those two ... Farrar was without doubt the dirtiest player i have ever seen ... ask Mick Delroy.

C Mortimer was the first NSW center to handle the likes of Mal, Miles and Close ... Rogers, Cronin and a host of others all failed miserably.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my fav centres and "utility" is Darren Smith. Hell of a player. One of the Legends of the club

And my claim to fame with him, was playing half a season of touch footy with him. Very surreal running and scoring off his passes...
Have a bit of toe, did you Moey?

Love me some Darren Smith ... probably the most underrated player in my time as a fan.

Makes any all-time Bulldogs best 17 in my opinion.