Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 31 28.7%

Votes: 49 45.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
1995 for me. Beating the two top sides in the last two games, coming from 6th - incredible.

Living in Canberra, losing to the milk in 94 sucked as a kid, so beating them in the semi was awesome. Especially when that raiders side had Daley, Stuart, Clyde, Mullins, Walters etc.

Beating that Manly side in the final - they had Lyons, Menzies, Hill, Toovey, Hasler, Roberts, Hopoate etc - and to top it off my older brother is a Manly fan so it made it an even sweeter win.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I was a 17 year old lad from the bush who happened to be in Sydney on grand final weekend due to conducting some interviews for uni for the following year.

Anyway, keeping to a budget, my father an i stayed in a caravan park in Bass Hill on the Friday night (not sure if its still there?). I had no idea it was dogs territory, but i ventured into the city on the Saturday morning to meet a friend wearing my Dogs gear, and everywhere i went, there were people yelling out "go the Dogs" - from cars, on the train etc.

For some reason, we stayed in a shithole private hotel in Coogee the following two nights, right near the Palace. The room only had a little black and white TV (yes, in 1995), and Dad and I watched the magic on that tiny TV.

I'd watched the 80s grand finals as a kid, but the 95 one stands out the most - maybe as it was part of a memorable trip with my old man (who, 4 years after his death i miss terribly).

I happened to literally be on a plane over the pacific when the dogs won the '04, but watched a replay as soon as i got home.

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Loving the stories.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best thread for a while……awesome stories!

‘88 saw Ellery Hanley go off after head butting Lamb’s elbow.
Missed the presentation that year….caught a train that evening to Expo88 at what now is Brisbane’s Southbank.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1980 is my sentimental favorite as it was "The Year of The Dog" as promised by Dr George after losing the GF in 79. But 1995 is my best becuase I was there with 3 mates and loved it! Was a massive day that started with schooners at the Bat and Ball and ended with drunken karoke at the pub in chinatown after a celebration succulent chinese feed...

On the way in to the ground a hawker was flogging Manly Premiers 1995 shirts for $25 each and then when we were leaving they were desperately trying to sell them for $5.. I was pissing myself laughing and offered him $2 bucks and he told me to fuck off but then chased me and snatched the 2 bucks. I gave it to a Manly supporting mate to give him the shits, he used it to wash his car.

Last edited:

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Born in 91, so only have a solid recollection of 2004.

However, 2012, closely followed by 2009, were my favourite seasons. The bounce back after being woeful the year(s) prior, deep Finals/ GF runs, Barba Dally M season, so many memorable matches along the way.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hear alot from the older fellas that 1988 was a great win... Plenty of reasons not to win but somehow got the job done.

Personally i was too young to understand 88 but was ready for 95. Great team, grew up idolizing those monstrous men of Belmore and great to see them win a title.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Being err much older 1980 and 1995 are a deadheat for me.'95 because i loved the great man T Lamb with great passion and 1980 because I was there all those years ago for both the 1979 and 1980 deciders, our men the entertainers were unreal to watch in the finals.
Had we not been robbed in '79 and won it(a clear forward pass to Wynn then to Johnson who scored, plus Gearin was off only kicked 2/5 as we mounted our comeback)that year might be No 1 just ..that was a great game and had Turvey vs Slippery Morris, who burst onto the scene that year.

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Every GF win is special, but being a bit (?) older, I loved the 1980 win because I remember wondering before that when we would ever win one.
And the Steve Gearin try is still one of the best and most exciting GF tries I have seen.

1984 was special because we stopped the Eels winning four in a row.

And we all remember the Terry Lamb slap on Ellery Hanley in the 1988 GF, but IIRC, in the 1985 GF, the Dragon's Graeme Wynn started off the game making some good runs and line breaks - until Peter Kelly sorted him out. After that, Wynn wasn't as effective. Another great GF win.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1980 because we hadn't won for so long but mainly because the team, and game were so exciting. That GF itself changed the way game was played.
1995 is next because it was such a good side. One bonus was we beat Manly and to this day I always enjoy watching Manly lose more than any other side - because of what Arthurson did to Norths. I was a Norths junior even though I had followed Canterbury as we first lived in Belmore.
And 1995 was also good because the Rothmans MOM medal was a no-brainer. It had to go to a player from NRL rather than Super League and from the winning side. So there were only 4 possibilities: McCracken, Smith, Pay and Dymock who had signed with NRL and the Eels.
Smith was on the bench and McCracken was in the backs. So it was between Pay & Dymock & Dymock was definitely more likely. The odds? 15-1. Can you believe it? They were giving money away!
I won't say how much I put on it but that was the best bet evah & a great day.
But 1980 was still the best game it made the Bulldogs up as the most exciting club for a generation.
I think you'll find few fans who remember 1980 and won't say it was the best.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the 1995 GF pick as it was one that we weren't supposed to win. The heartache of losing in 1979 under similar circumstances was soothing many years later.

sam snee

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
88 just the pre game show was on another level,never forget tigers came out to eye of the tiger,they were heavy favourites terry lamb famously knocked ellery Hanley we won !

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2004 was such a great year. NSW dominated in SOO and we won the GF.

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Every Dogs Grand Final year was great just a fantastic ride to share.