Young Tonumaipea quits and forfeits his $200,000 salary to go on a mormon mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOL, Footy Star! LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...-mormon-missionary/ar-AAy2yPV?ocid=spartanntp

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/y...m/news-story/21031b1508895091d66b1f13a3d990e6

ONLY weeks after Cameron Smith dropped his bombshell retirement, a Melbourne Storm teammate has decided to walk away.

FIRST it was Cameron Smith sending the NRL into meltdown when he announced he was stepping down from representative rugby.

Then Billy Slater followed suit by stating this would be his final ever State of Origin series.

So while Smith and Slater have decided to step away from key roles, the decisions mean their Storm careers could run longer.

Unfortunately that isn’t the case for one of the team’s rising stars in Young Tonumaipea who has sensationally decided to walk away.

The Storm utility has quit the club to take up a two year Mormon mission in Berlin, Germany according to reports from The Daily Telegraph.

Tonumaipea still has a year and a half to run on his contract, but after meeting with coach Craig Bellamy the club has refused to stand in his way.

His decision to walk away from his contract means he’ll leave more than $200,000 on the table.

Dave Donaghy, Melbourne Storm boss, confirmed the player’s pending departure from the club following the State of Origin series.

“There was a lot of listening from our end as opposed to a discussion about it,” Donaghy said.

“Young came to see us the other day and let us know he was going to embark on a mission for two years.

“From our point of view he goes with our blessing. I take my hat off to him.

At only 25-years-old, Tonumaipea was slowly building towards a solid NRL career after having made his debut in 2014.

His four appearances so far during the 2018 season have resulted in one try and one try assist while he’s made 41 tackles.

He’ll reportedly stick around to help the club through the Origin series before flying out following the third game on July 11.

The remarkably brave decision to walk away from rugby league after building his way into a starting role has been heralded by the club.

“We are very proud of him that he has had the strength to make the decision,” Donaghy said.

With his future the grand unknown, Tonumaipea can fly out to Germany knowing the club will welcome him back ... provided he remains in shape.

“If he wants to come back I’m sure he will keep himself in good nick and he has plenty of footy left in him when his two years is completed,” Donaghy said.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought Berlin would be a strange place to be a missionary, they often stick to third world countries as its an easier sell. Plus, you know, there are, according yo Mr I, those sex clubs involving various water sports....

Another thing - why don't they wait until after their careers to do their 2 year mission? Is there an age limit? Will you not be considered for heaven if you don't do your mission work? I would have thought it was be a good opportunity to do it as some kind of gap year after footy?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Berlin would be a strange place to be a missionary, they often stick to third world countries as its an easier sell. Plus, you know, there are, according yo Mr I, those sex clubs involving various water sports....

Another thing - why don't they wait until after their careers to do their 2 year mission? Is there an age limit? Will you not be considered for heaven if you don't do your mission work? I would have thought it was be a good opportunity to do it as some kind of gap year after footy?
Didn’t Izzy Folau delay his mission when he was at the Broncos? I’m sure he announced he would do it when at the Storm and then decided to delay it when at the Broncos?
When you take it must vary from each person. Btw do women do it? I’ve never seen a lady out and about only men doing it?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Why are their missions overseas? There are many needy people in every local community.

Or are overseas people eaiser to brainwash?

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can Hoppa go and do this again to get him off the books!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Was only thinking the other day he'd be a good pickup.

Might be a good ploy for him to get out of a contract and cash up elsewhere.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lmao what another absolute dumb ****..

The most money he will ever make in his life by doing nothing but being a meat head with his most likely limited brain power and education yet throws it away to go to Germany to do some "mission" rather than help people locally who need it while working ontop...

If you saw me leave my 200k a year job for Germany its due to a being offered a better job for more pay... Farout these dumb **** league players amaze me with how dumb they are period, enjoy being a low wage bricky or factory worker on your return after throwing it away and ending up like all the others guys who tried to get where you are at but couldn't make it

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Mormons see Islanders as easy brainwashing targets lol
As do employers for labor work for low wage...

I wish they would apply themselves more and be better rather than how most of them are turning out anyone is capable but you need an environment that helps encourage it and I've seen in some of their communities its looked down upon being smart or going further sadly

Status
Not open for further replies.