YOUNG PUP GIVEN TAP ON THE SHOULDER

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would say that Averillo has developed as a half under him to be fair. He's been poor this past month no doubt but I think that has more to do with opposition teams knowing he's literally the only attacking threat we have so they're all over him like white on rice as soon as he gets the ball.
Jake has always been a strong ball runner and it’s easily his biggest asset but the other areas of his game haven’t improved much. I don’t think playing him as the dominant half has done him any favours at all. He isn’t a organiser and he doesn’t have a good enough kicking game for that role. Tbaz is just trying to force something to happen that just isn’t there.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more about the COVID thing. The most senior player was Napa and he walks straight into the team. He was then supposed to be fronting the board and nothing happens.
Maybe legal advice was they couldn’t sack him?
He’s out the door in 5 weeks regardless but could’ve been stood down in the interim. Possibly squad depth is the reality, made worse by Thommo’s suspension. Can’t wait to see the back of Napa, the last time I felt so strongly about anyone leaving was T-Rex.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There's been reports of Wakeham having bad attitude to training for the past 2 or 3 years and that would certainly go a long way to explaining why he hasn't kicked on.
Yet was re-signed.

Our roster management is poor.

If we have signed guys, they are crucial in our Top 30, and they need development...they should get the best remedial/extra coaching money can buy...not just allow them to plod along half hesrted at training....whose fault is that? ..solely the player or does it reflect poorly on the coach and staff?

Player 30% bc they try it on.
Coach and staff 70% at fault bc that's their job.

Reactions: ATT

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Jake has always been a strong ball runner and it’s easily his biggest asset but the other areas of his game haven’t improved much. I don’t think playing him as the dominant half has done him any favours at all. He isn’t a organiser and he doesn’t have a good enough kicking game for that role. Tbaz is just trying to force something to happen that just isn’t there.
unfortunately we dont have a dominant half at the moment, maybe BBO over the next few weeks can take more control, im assuming tbaz is just easing BBO into first grade.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really can’t blame wakeham the team as a whole hasn’t excelled. Put wakeham at the roosters or storm different ball game.
Disagree. BBO is shining in this poor performing team, why couldn’t Wakeham who has had way more opportunity do the same thing? He also has probably the worst long kicking game I have seen, don’t recall him making more than 30m on a clearing kick

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Oh I agree he shouldn't be the dominant playmaker. But I've actually been impressed with the placement of some of his attacking kicks this season. Didn't think he had that in his bag of tricks but he's been much better than Flanagan and Wakeham in that part of his game.

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good barret is getting rid of the flops at the club i hope next is allen elliot aka mr naked and waddel and flanno and flopunbor

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Lol more of Baz's awful management at play.
He blew it with the whole covid thing though. Imagine being dumb enough to risk your position in the team so soon after getting your opportunity? It's the main reason i don't like schoupp.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wakeham doesn't deserve a second chance given he showed nothing in his FG games

But this is also where our management is royally stupid. Why is Napa in the side? He is the worst offender out of the lot and should've been tapped on the shoulder as well

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
This does raise a few other questions though.

Why has Wakeham been hit so hard for the Covid thing compared to the other four? Are they just using this as a excuse?

Why can’t Tbaz get halves to perform? He was credited for Cleary’s improvements and every single one of the halves on our roster has declined or stagnated. Even taking into account the forward pack they are playing behind it doesn’t reflect well on the coach.
I think it's because we lack options in the other positions.....sure, our options in the halves are mediocre, but Wakeham is mediocre too, so he's expendable

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our best halves pairing has been Wakeham/Averillo this season while Wakeham has produced key attacking plays at a higher rate than anyone else in the squad.

This isn't a issue of pure ability for me it, it's squad management. Baz chased Flanagan, he chased Allan, both who will be earning potentially 400k next season but our answer is to flog off a bloke on 180k that probably wouldn't feature much at all next season? We've then re-signed Okunbor, Katoa, etc. Certain players go unpunished while others get a free run. The joint fucking stinks.
I have to agree with that. Seems to me Wakes has become a scapegoat. He’s the perfect back up half on cheap money to call upon if we have injuries in the top grade. Flanagan & Okunbor(can’t believe I backed him) shouldn’t be anywhere near Belmore.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have to agree with that. Seems to me Wakes has become a scapegoat. He’s the perfect back up half on cheap money to call upon if we have injuries in the top grade. Flanagan & Okunbor(can’t believe I backed him) shouldn’t be anywhere near Belmore.
Obviously there's the whole off field thing that we don't see and that makes up the bulk of time coaches and players spend together, but some players no matter what they do on field seem to go totally unpunished and retain their role in the team week after week while other players get singled out over and over again.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Deadwood, we’ve be that shot some want Wakehamto resign
Shows how low this club is

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
At one point the Tigers were interested in him because of McGuire. If McGuire remains the coach he might be still interested

If McGuire is sacked and Shane Flanno is the coach then they'll obviously take Kyle

I'd rather keep Wakeham as depth over Kyle

TBH I wouldn't mind Ash Taylor if we get him for $500K or less. He's not worth a million a year but he's definitely a good buy for the right price
Taylor is not even worth 500k
Hard pass from me.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well said. Was thinking the very same thing!

Reactions: ATT