Young Bulldog turning Seagull for next NRL challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPingPongKing

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
HE was cut loose by Canterbury but Sunshine Coast product Patrick Templeman is more determined than ever to make the NRL big time.
The 21-year-old will play for Wynnum-Manly in the Intrust Super Cup next year after being told his services weren't required at Belmore.
He failed to break through this year after scoring more than 300 points for the club in the Toyota Cup (under-20s) the previous season.
"I guess you could say it went a little pear-shaped but I'm very excited to be back up here in familiar surroundings and I'm looking forward to doing a big pre-season and then hopefully a big year," he said.
"I'm still young and still hungry so I'm definitely still keen on chasing the NRL dream."
Templeman's manager Shaun Pyne told the Daily last week that North Queensland had invited him to pre-season training at Townsville but he opted to join the Seagulls who are linked to the Brisbane Broncos.
"It's a path (into the Broncos) but there are plenty of opportunities here and plenty of people watching (from other NRL clubs) so all I can do is train hard and hopefully have a big year," he said.
The former Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles (now Falcons) player said his time during the three-year stint in Sydney had been pivotal for his development.
"I grew up a lot and learned a lot about footy," he said.
"I've been coached by some of the best coaches in the game (Des Hasler) and learned from some of the best players (Mick Ennis) so it was definitely a positive experience.
"This year didn't go the way I would have wanted it to but the previous two years (in under-20s) were probably the best two footy years of my life."
Templeman will link with former Sunshine Coast team-mate Mitchell Buckett at Wynnum.
Buckett was with South Sydney but linked with the Seagulls a year ago after failing to make his NRL debut at Redfern.
"I get to play with Mitch again which is something I'm very excited about," Templeman said.
"WE'RE pretty good mates. He gives me a lot of confidence and I know the way he plays so I'm looking forward to getting back with him.
"Things didn't work out like he would have wanted to either and he's come back up here and had a massive year this year and he'll be looking to build on that again next year. We both give each other a lot of confidence so hopefully we can bounce off each other."

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.a...turning-seagull-for-next-challenge-o/2433702/

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he becomes a superstar I plan to jump off a cliff

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like honestly I have a feeling this will turn out to be a big mistake by us

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe but he failed to prove himself at NSW cup level. You cant keep everyone.
That is the way I see it. Templeman started at fullback in the U20s and was hit by "The Holden Cup Curse". His attack was right up to standard, his goal kicking was good but that's where it stopped. They tried to make a five eighth out of him and if that had worked he would have made first grade at Origin time and when Reynolds was suspended. But that didn't work either. When I first saw this kid I thought he was too tall and slim to handle the mayhem of first grade and maybe I was right.

But having said that I hope he goes well at Wynnum-Manly.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hes not a fullback, hes a five eight. Needs a bit more bulk and tackling technique then he will make nrl for sure imo.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True but you never know.
Templeman had a crack in the trials at the start of the year as well, I'm sure he was In Des's plans to take over the No 1 jersey but some players dont convert from holden cup to first grade.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Broncos need more fullbacks?

DOGSOFWAR2013

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
please X 100000000000000000000 not urn out to be letting go of Another Thurston while keeping shifty and Anasta.........

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
LOL guys Templeman couldn't cope in NSW Cup. He won't cope in Intrust Super Cup either as the comp is slightly better than NSW Cup.

Lacked size, couldn't tackle, and never really showed any signs of change.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah Thurston destroyed teams in Reserve Grade and Under 21's.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Imo should have been kept for one more year. He was moved all over the place plus there was a change of coach during 2014. I don't think he was ever included on the extended bench though so Des must not rate him.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Best of luck to him, he might of had the skill set but his build is what is holding him back. Even DCE looked small playing in that test match compared to all the other guys and struggled so imagine Tempo in the NRL, if he can bulk up somehow then he will have his chance.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Templeman looks small compared to Sam Tomkins.. and Chris Sandow.

H&S you got bannned for creating lazy one line threads with no links in them.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
looking at our 2014 team it seems the prerequisites for any player is that they must be able to tackle like a front rower.

Thats why Bmoz is the perfect fit, if not, the missing link of our team, he's got strength and speed.

Templeman might be a top tryscorer but if he can't tackle he will be the weak link in our structure..

Last edited by a moderator:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think a lot of you will be proved wrong about Tempo. He played a lot in a dysfunctional reserves. They were badly coached and not one of the players in that group developed. They cant all be that bad surely. Playing in a team where tackling is something like fishing, wont develop anyone. To see if a player has the goods, he must be given a chance. He wasnt afforded such a chance.
Thurston was let go because he was to small and look what happened there.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Hes not a fullback, hes a five eight. Needs a bit more bulk and tackling technique then he will make nrl for sure imo.
FFS I'm sick of people saying "he just needs to work on his tackling technique". These guys go through their whole junior careers and Holden cup and still can't defend. That has nothing to do with technique and everything to do with being too soft to have a go. Defence is half the game, if they just want to attack and score tries and play in a game that ends up 50-46 then nrl suouldnt be on their agenda

Status
Not open for further replies.