Opinion You can't win games by defence alone?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good playmakers engage the front line and put players around then through gaps. Hutchinson tries to but hasnt executed yet. Burton played better this game but as a centre role, not playmaker.
Our defence is so much better than last year it's great to see. We just fatigue and buckle at the end of games given how much pressure we are facing because lack of attacking ball.
You can actually see that Hutch has better ball playing ability than Burton but he just doesn't have that speed off the mark to trouble defenders. You can see him poke his head through gaps but his legs let him down....looks like he's running on a treadmill.

Raff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You can actually see that Hutch has better ball playing ability than Burton but he just doesn't have that speed off the mark to trouble defenders. You can see him poke his head through gaps but his legs let him down....looks like he's running on a treadmill.
Completely agree !

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let’s be honest, we’re not really getting that many good ball sets.
if we don’t get down the park more we’re in trouble. Need forwards to step up.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watch every week with total frustration at the lack of attacking options we have. Sure our defence has improved but when we get some ball we have no spark in attack. We need to be able to score points if we are going to win games.
too much one out running...not set plays...midfield bomb...that's the game plan

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Different era different rules no 10metres back then only 5
Look at the way Penrith "attack" in defence, particularly in the opposition 20 when they're coming off their goal line. Make no mistake, the success of both Penrith and Melbourne is on the back of sound defensive structures.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I watch every week with total frustration at the lack of attacking options we have. Sure our defence has improved but when we get some ball we have no spark in attack. We need to be able to score points if we are going to win games.
Defence is the foundation.
From there we need to build field position and repeat sets and the points will come

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Has our defence actually improved that much?? We are still leaking atleast 4 tries per game.
Last year our defence got worse as the season went on, I dread to think how many points we will be leaking in another 5 or 6 rounds

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Has our defence actually improved that much?? We are still leaking atleast 4 tries per game.
Last year our defence got worse as the season went on, I dread to think how many points we will be leaking in another 5 or 6 rounds
Real tries or fake tries?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Look at the way Penrith "attack" in defence, particularly in the opposition 20 when they're coming off their goal line. Make no mistake, the success of both Penrith and Melbourne is on the back of sound defensive structures.
Watched a bit of a podcast with Papi yesterday, he touched on some interesting points about Bellamy.

In a nutshell, Papi said hard work at training is expected but Bellamy also demands hard work not just physically but mentally in building relationships with team mates. ie are you communicating effectively, are you building trust, are you getting together to bond as team mates, etc...

Ciraldo is massive on connection so I hope that his emphasis and work on this area reaps the rewards in the future.

Reactions: J_B

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will start watching the dogs again from round 17, around the same time the coach drops hutchinson for sexton after the crowd goes wild booing the shit out of him.
Until then happy punting

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure defence is a strength if conceding 25 + points per game so far against middling teams. Would need to put 30 on to win and we are no where that potent in attack.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was much talk of Crichton playing fb when he signed, but not much since. I wouldn't be adverse to Burton centre,Crichton to fb,Xerri to centre Kiraz to wing and Sexton to the halves.
I think we need both Kiraz and Wilson in the team. They're our main metre eaters. Our need more than them two and can't be without one of them.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have ample attacking options but don't make use of them.

Burton has no vision, you can see that in his kick selection and his inability to engage the line and then make the right pass at speed.

Hutchinson shows glimpses of arranging attacking plays but its max once or twice a game. He comes in and out of the game.

I can't see improvement coming from Burton, he has had 3 years to grow into the position and has failed. Hutchinson may improve as he learns our system but probably not signficantly.

Outside of biting the bullet and trying a new halves combo (utilising different non-traditional halves) we have little options. Its on Ciraldo to get the best out of our current halves combo and remaining spine. Mahoney is making 50+ tackles a game, he can't also be expected to carry the burden in attack.

Relying on throwing it to Kikau each play is going to get old fast.

Our attack just looks over-rehearsed and robotic, its slow and inneffective. I'm not convinced Ciraldo knows how to get it ticking over.
Good summary, but I will say the notable difference was giving good early ball to Kikau which was giving the Sharks issues - but I agree, we need to be more creative with pass selection, grubbers and chips etc. and that out the back play needs to dig into the line otherwise the overlap can’t be made, the overlap is created by players getting drawn into a minimum 2 options (half and lock or half and 5/8) digging into the line after straightening up to create the overlap as this engages multiple defenders rather than allowing defenders to see the play early and sliding across.

What I don’t understand is we have a quick backline and rarely do we leverage this attribute

Last edited:

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Concerning view is that we have had four months to organise our attack and get it it right via a pre season and two trial games. Inmo our defence is on song although it is our offence that tires out opposition defences in which puts less pressure on our own defence.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
we have the worst defence in the comp, -37 after 2 rounds

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
we have the worst defence in the comp, -37 after 2 rounds
It’s a false indicator, We made 13 errors vs Parra and gave them a massive amount of possession…. We lost a middle in the first 15secs against Sharks and defended multiple sets in our red zone. We’re top 8 defensively in my eyes but our attack is lack lustre adding it doesn’t help when only one player in our forward pack cracks 100+ running metres.