You can see it from a mile away - terrible culture

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Canterbury have scored 34 points in five matches, the fewest since Western Suburbs scored the same number of points in the opening five weeks of 1999.

The 1999 Magpies coached by the great Tommy were the 2nd? worst statistical side of all time behind the Roosters that lost all their games in 1966

1999 Western Suburbs Magpies

The Magpies were saddled with some god-awful teams in their 91-year existence, but the final edition will always hold a special place in history.

In the black and whites last season as a stand-alone club, they leaked an incredible 944 points in 24 matches at an average of 39.33 per game, the most in league history.

--

So.. are we headed that way?
I think so. Remember, Broncos scored a lot of points against us... and right now, I can't see any victory. For example, before last weekend, I *might* have been hopeful against the Cowboys. But now I know we will lose... and unfortunately, we are incapable of losing in a close one. Our heads go down.

I honestly can't see a single victory this season. Who would we raise our game against? Usually we can rely on at least a struggle against the Eels, that might give us a bit of confidence about our ability to compete... Can you honestly see this?

Everyone thinks we are at rock bottom... I fear we will still be falling, to new depths, for sometime yet.
Apr, 2021. We are at new depths btw. We may not be getting the spoon, but we've been conceding at almost 32 points a game the whole year. IMO, this season is worse than wooden spoon 2021.

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
Up till recently I've never had to use the ignore function. I think we all know the likely candidates.

Where we are now is due to years of poor management, lack of investment of resoures into our junior development and here we are with a bunch of mercenaries. With the actual juniors that have made it to 1st grade have major deficencies in thier games. As Gus has said it going to take time and I'm not going to listen to the forum crybabies loosing thier shit each loss.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It is culture... but what culture exactly? No one elaborates, so I shall.

It's very simple. There's no doubt that the root cause of the bad performances are from within the club.

The problem is it's a chicken and egg. I've talked about this before.

The factors that are from outside the club, the little injustices, are now routinely ignored by our club.

Put it this way... why are Queensland the "perennial underdogs". It's absurd. Everyone knows it's absurd. But whatever one might do to eliminate the "meme", it will always exist. Because the effort to remove it, just reinforces it.

"Don't think about it" DOESN'T WORK! You are going to think about it.

Traditionally, whether we really got a fair go or not, there has always been an "us against the rest of the world" attitude to the club. Now, the PR wing of our club go out of their way to give of the impression "no, the Bulldogs club are not like that anymore. We are a humble group. We blame no one but ourselves. And we are 'community leaders'".

Ultimately my point is... everyone talks about the playing and coaching staff. Over the years, we've had a very capable playing group. What I believe they lacked was, something that was present at the club before, was a feeling that the club would defend them.

Would raise all hell for a judiciary outcome that was inconsistent with what other got. A fine for a coach for being honest about on field events, etc...

"Oh this is the new appealing face of the NRL". Fuck it. "The game is bigger than the club". Not to me. I can leave it. Fuck with the Bulldogs one more time "I dare you. I double dare you muthafucka", then I can leave it to a new breed of passionless fans.

The damage was done in events like muzzling Hasler from mentioning "Voldermort", etc.

So when you are trying to work out why the players seem to lack any care, it makes no sense "oh, they just don't feel an attachment to Ciraldo/Barrett/Pay/Hasler/..".

These are all copes... the last one is the clear example. It can't be coincidence that the decline started shortly after Hasler and the club copped shit for the 2014 GF, and that the NRL started to strong arm the club and the coaches and players to be complete conformists.

If you are the club with one of the biggest "us against them" culture, and then you attempt a 180... like fuck it's a culture problem. Embrace your role FFS!
Bring back the "Siege Mentality" - it works.

If you don't know how, buy a Ouija Board and ask Folkesy!

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Up till recently I've never had to use the ignore function. I think we all know the likely candidates.

Where we are now is due to years of poor management, lack of investment of resoures into our junior development and here we are with a bunch of mercenaries. With the actual juniors that have made it to 1st grade have major deficencies in thier games. As Gus has said it going to take time and I'm not going to listen to the forum crybabies loosing thier shit each loss.
Ah yes!!! TK's 'Insane Clown Posse'.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Gould is a myth and he’s head of football

Ciraldo is a myth, unproven coach and he’s head coach

Khoury is out of his depth and mostly absent as chairman

Can’t believe I’m one of the few who could see this shitshow coming. Writing was always on the walls
Bro I get you're frustrated like all of us are but this rot started long before them and signing a few players isn't going to change that. Get used to another 3-5 years of pain.

I've been a harsh critic of Ciraldo but I dont think anyone who comes in this year would have even made us close to even being competitive to finish even 12th let alone anything better. It sucks and no one wants to wait that long for our team to get back to where it belongs. This is all new to us. None of us have experienced 7 years of doom and gloom before. We are used to success. But thats long gone.

It's going to be all about the hard yards and trying to improve to get to where we want. It doesn't help that we've had something like 6 or 7 coaches since Hasler. Learning different structures and adapting to a new coach is not even easy for a player. We need some continued consistency not only from a board level but also staff and players.

You cant keep chopping and changing every year and hope we just miraculously find that quick fix. We need to to suck it up and keep getting up and go again

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Culture is like integrity n good character - those with it never talk about it. First rule of good culture - dont talk about it - do it

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The question has to be asked, why are prized recruits going downhill when they come into the joint?
Look at Burton, so many poor missed tackles shows up his bad attitude.
Its like it is acceptable or he does not care as much as he used too.
With a high price tag comes expectation.he isn’t at Penrith surrounded by players that can cover him.he needs an attitude adjustment.
Defence has always been about attitude and our attitude is fucked at the moment.
and it’s the higher paid players that are missing most tackles