You can now use your smartphone as ID in NSW

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...L4B7H3y_z2aBJD8oSkHb-5nNKs#Echobox=1572289483

Almost five years after it was first proposed by the state government, NSW citizens are now finally able to display their driver's licence on their phones and use it as a form of ID at pubs and clubs.

But if you have a cracked screen, it may not get accepted because a clear screen is required for it to be used as valid ID; your phone must also be kept charged so that you can show your licence.

The move, which the NSW government previously estimated could save tens of millions of dollars, will make NSW one of the few places in the world where citizens are able to choose to have a licence issued in digital format and have it displayed on their smartphones.

In Australia, NSW joins South Australia, which launched a similar app in May 2017.

he Service NSW app, which enables people to display their ID on iPhone and Android smartphones, was updated about 12pm on Monday for all NSW citizens to add their driver's licence.

How to get a digital licence
  1. Download the Service NSW app
  2. Register an account tied to an email address
  3. Enter your physical licence's address, licence number and the number on its back (top left) into the app
  4. Use your digital licence
Until now, only about 20,000 citizens in trial areas that included Sydney's eastern suburbs, Albury, and Dubbo were able to make use of a digital driver's licence.

Despite the app being made publicly available — and an update of the Apple app says "The NSW Digital Driver Licence is here! We've trialled the driver licence with more than 20,000 citizens, and now it's your turn — Service NSW said mid-morning on Tuesday that it was still "testing" the app.

"The NSW government will soon announce the state wide rollout of the Digital Driver Licence," it said in a statement on Tuesday. "We are currently testing the technology for early adopters."

It came amid user reports the app was crashing for many who attempted to sign up to use it.

While the licence is expected to be accepted at most venues, the state government is reminding people to still carry their plastic card "to avoid inconvenience", as some venues in NSW or other states and countries may not accept it as a valid form of ID.

"Always carry your plastic card if you know you're going to need your driver licence, or if you plan to travel interstate. Ensure your phone screen is not cracked and your phone is charged," Service NSW warns. "It ... may take some time before all organisations will be ready to accept" the digital app.

It's also reminding people to not use their phones while driving or riding when asked for ID and that you do not have to hand over your unlocked phone in order for it to be verified by people such as security guards or police officers.

"You don't have to hand over your phone. You may be asked to refresh your licence, by pulling down and releasing," the Service NSW app says.

"If you get pulled over by the police, do not pick up your phone until the officer requests to see your driver licence. Significant penalties apply for using a mobile phone illegally," it adds.

The app has a number of security safeguards built into it to make it easier for authorities to verify a card's validity, including a Waratah emblem "hologram" that moves when the phone is tilted on an iPhone and the ability to scan a QR code to verify that the name displayed on the screen matches the name that is on the database at Service NSW.

This QR code expires shortly after it is displayed, so it can't be looked up again.

Other licences that can be used with the Service NSW app include those for operating a boat, RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) and Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) permits, fishing licences, and working with children cards.

The state government passed the Road Transport and Other Legislation Amendment (Digital Driver Licences and Photo Cards) Act 2018 last year in order to make it lawful for people to show a digital form of ID instead of a plastic card in order to gain access to licensed venues and for police checks.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How easy to mock up an Id now
Lol

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I'll pass thanks
Those sheltered little millennial fucks won't though!

Mummy and daddy of the X generation were too busy popping pills and smoking dope to teach their next of kin how easy it is to carry identification!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well I just purchased the iPhone 11 pro max , upgraded from the iPhone X and all I can say is that is was worth it.. beautiful phone. Apple done it again since 2007 :hearteyes:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Next the Government will make it mandatory to have a smart phone.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Next the Government will make it mandatory to have a smart phone.
They are already attempting that.
In 15 years once more of the older generations die this will be a thing, you watch.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I'll pass thanks
What's the down side?

If you ask me - forking out $150 for a hard copy of a license is a rort. Especially with how chat the plastic is. I have had to replace mine twice.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
View attachment 11746

Pay with your face: 100m Chinese switch from smartphones

Facial recognition technology spreads rapidly at the expense of privacy

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/China-tech/Pay-with-your-face-100m-Chinese-switch-from-smartphones

So you don't show face? No purchase?

Not good.
Im going to be emperor of the underground me is thinking?
You know like Denis Leary in Demolition man?

Ffs I cannot believe demolition man is the kind of future we are heading towards?

Its fucking pathetic.
Not proud to be human.
Its not good to be human.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Not good.

Ffs I cannot believe demolition man is the kind of future we are heading towards?

Its fucking pathetic.
Not proud to be human.

you would have been labeled paranoid and a conspiracy theorist just over a decade if you mentioned the technologies that are now arriving...

the ancients foretold that the vav vav vav was not going to be pleasant

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Not good.

Its fucking pathetic.
Not proud to be human.
you would have been labeled paranoid and a conspiracy theorist just over a decade if you mentioned the technologies that are now arriving...

the ancients foretold that the vav vav vav was not going to be pleasant
You know, the movie i, Robot (2004) which is set in 2035 suggested that the future will be very automated. Self-driving cars, robots for every household, and a bunch of other things that appeared too advanced for that time. We are currently in 2019, and with every passing year, it appears that everything suggested in i, Robot will happen well before 2035.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know, the movie i, Robot (2004) which is set in 2035 suggested that the future will be very automated. Self-driving cars, robots for every household, and a bunch of other things that appeared too advanced for that time. We are currently in 2019, and with every passing year, it appears that everything suggested in i, Robot will happen well before 2035.

It's happening now brother... People just kind of skim by the claims that Apple, Tesla, Google and so make.. what their plans are.... but these companies don't just talk about things for fun, they don't make technology just for fun... they have the best minds in the world, and they have all the resources they need.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Demolition man had same shit.
Sex is done by VR simulation, using cuss words gets you fined, driverless cars, pussy police.

The list goes on but the sad thing is its slowly but surely becoming a reality.

I'd like to cryogenically freeze some highly dangerous criminals that can be thawed out when the day comes.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google officially announces it's achieved 'quantum supremacy', but IBM isn't so sure
First posted Thursday at 17:05

Overnight Google officially announced it's achieved "quantum supremacy", after one of its quantum computers solved a problem in 200 seconds that, the tech giant estimates, would take the world's fastest supercomputer 10,000 years to solve.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science...-announcement-but-ibm-disputes-claim/11635602

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Imagine going to buy a case of piss and paying for it with your face :joycat:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Google officially announces it's achieved 'quantum supremacy', but IBM isn't so sure
First posted Thursday at 17:05

Overnight Google officially announced it's achieved "quantum supremacy", after one of its quantum computers solved a problem in 200 seconds that, the tech giant estimates, would take the world's fastest supercomputer 10,000 years to solve.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science...-announcement-but-ibm-disputes-claim/11635602
Google was a joke 20 years ago for different reasons it is a joke today.

I remember me and my brother laughing about using google as a last resort search engine close to 20 years ago.

Before we knew it google became standard on all browsing software and we were scratching our heads wondering wtf happened to all other search engines?