Yorke admits possible exit

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D0ggyStylz

Dwight Yorke has returned to Sydney FC training along with speculation - fuelled by him - that he may not play out the final season of his two-year deal with the A-League champions.

Always the professional, the former Manchester United star emphasised his commitment to give 100 per cent while at the club, but he was non-committal about his future in Sydney.

The Trinidad and Tobago (T&T) captain well knows the mechanics of world football, that while you and the club may have signed an agreement, there is no iron-clad guarantee either party will see out the deal.

So when asked, after his first training session since his country bowed out of the World Cup in Germany last month, whether he would still be wearing Sydney colours at the end of the A-League season, Yorke honestly replied: "I don't know. You just never know in football."

Particularly when international clubs are still showing interest.

"I'll be quite honest, there is interest as we speak, but it's not for me to discuss that," said the 34-year-old, who's tenure at the club had been speculated about since Sydney claimed the inaugural title in March.

"We'll wait and see, but at the minute I'm back here reporting to training."

"I am here to do my job until otherwise. I signed a two-year contract and my obligation is to fulfil that two-year contract. Whether that continues or not I don't know."

But while other clubs might be biting, it is unlikely Sydney would let Yorke go. Or at least, let their reported $900,000-a-season blue chip investment depart for anything less than a substantial fee.

"We have every intention of retaining him for the season and defending the championship with him," said Sydney FC chief executive Tim Parker, who added there had been no official offer from a rival club for Yorke.

"It's flattering that there's a lot of interest in him and not unexpected given his terrific performances but as far as we're concerned we hope that he's on board for the entire season. I think we have answered the one question of 'is he coming back?'."

One thing Yorke is sure of is that he is still some way from peak fitness after a much-needed month off.

As well as his A-League commitments last season, Yorke clocked up a mountain of frequent flyer points travelling to and from the Caribbean, Central America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East to play for T&T. He also undertook a two-month training stint with Manchester United to stay fit ahead of Germany 2006.

"I haven't kicked a ball since the World Cup," said Yorke, who rated his current fitness as 'shocking'.

"The management staff has kindly given me amply time to recharge the battery and hopefully I've done that. I can't wait to start again and its been fun to be back here with the lads."

"It'll be three to four weeks (before he gets back to full fitness), and my target is the first game of the season (on August 27)."

New Sydney coach Terry Butcher, who was absent from training due to an A-League coaches forum, has already ruled his marquee player out of Sydney's pre-season cup game with New Zealand Knights this Saturday, with the following week's match against Perth Glory in Wollongong likely to be the earliest Yorke will play.

http://theworldgame.com.au/home/index.php?pid=st&cid=73594

dvsbastard

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meh... IMO Yorke is nothing spectacular anyway (in comparison to how much he gets paid)... he is more "profile" then he is "player"!

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
I agree.. as much as I like Yorke being in our club... and GO SYDNEY FC for it... Brosque is the next best thing... we have him and he will shine like the brightest star at night... :grinning:

Besides... if we lose Yorke and need another marquee player... Christian Vieri has said he is looking to play football here, we can just snap him up... ;)

D

D0ggyStylz

I don't want Christian Vieri at Sydney FC. Yorke does show his class in matches, he is still a quality player. Add a hell of a lot to Sydney FC.

dvsbastard

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnny Warren said:
I don't want Christian Vieri at Sydney FC. Yorke does show his class in matches, he is still a quality player. Add a hell of a lot to Sydney FC.
Don't get me wrong, I still think he is a talented player... but when you are earning over $1million a season - you better be! Though I wouldn't lose any sleep over the loss of Yorke.

But you have to admit that half the time he doesn't exactly look motivated on the field!

D

D0ggyStylz

dvsbastard said:
Don't get me wrong, I still think he is a talented player... but when you are earning over $1million a season - you better be! Though I wouldn't lose any sleep over the loss of Yorke.

But you have to admit that half the time he doesn't exactly look motivated on the field!
that's just Yorke though. He has never looked motivated on any field.

Status
Not open for further replies.