News 'Yeah, yeah': Crichton confirms handshake deal with Penrith

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

The drama surrounding Stephen Crichton's future is set to intensify after the Penrith superstar admitted to a handshake deal with coach Ivan Cleary earlier in the year that his new manager is now refuting.
Nine colleague Danny Weidler reported in The Sun Herald on Sunday that Crichton's new management firm, led by agent Sam Ayoub, were "bemused to say the least" in regards to an alleged $1.5 million handshake deal this column revealed a few weeks ago.
The way the Stephen Crichton (right) extension has been handled could explode in the coming days after the centre admitted to a handshake deal with Ivan Cleary (left).

The very notion of the handshake deal's existence is being used as a threat against the club, with Weidler on Sunday reporting "the more that is suggested, the greater the chance there could be a problem".
However, in an interview with The Herald during grand final week, unbeknown to Ayoub and not previously published, Crichton was specifically asked if he had vowed to honour the deal Penrith put forward mid-season, which wasn't signed off on as a courtesy from the club to allow the 20-year-old to leave his former manager Mark Stewart in November.

"I heard that you shook hands with Ivan and said 'I'm not going to change my mind, a deal is a deal'. A verbal agreement. Is that right?" Crichton was asked by The Herald on October 18.
"Yeah, yeah," Crichton replied before hinting that he was going to discard the agreement. "I'm just trying to see what's best for me and my family, especially because I'm the only one at home paying off and helping my mum and dad. I really want to get a good deal, good enough so my parents don't have to work any more.
Panthers stars Stephen Crichton, Josh Mansour and Jarome Luai.

Panthers stars Stephen Crichton, Josh Mansour and Jarome Luai.CREDIT:BROOK MITCHELL
"I'm the only one at home, I'm the oldest one at home as well because my brothers have all moved out of home with their families and kids. My parents are relying on me so, yeah. I'm just trying to sort out what the best deal is for me and my family and what's really going to help us. I want to stay at Penrith, but, yeah."
Crichton was then pressed on the details of his conversation with the coach which left the club of the opinion that his future was committed to Penrith on the three year, $1.5 million deal.

"I've told Ivan that I really want to stay here," Crichton said last month. "But I just want to see what the best deal for my family is."
The Herald contacted Panthers head of football Matt Cameron on Sunday afternoon, but he declined to comment.
Ayoub's argument that Crichton is worth more than $500,000 is valid. The Blues squad member would likely attract offers of around $600,000 to $700,000 elsewhere, such is the talent he possesses. But Penrith are disappointed with how the version of events have changed over time.
Crichton is contracted to Penrith until the end of 2021, however he is now able to talk to rival clubs after becoming a free agent on November 1. Things will escalate once he comes out of NSW Origin camp on Thursday.
The Panthers face an uphill battle trying to retain all their star juniors, which would be aided by the potential release of fan favourite Josh Mansour before the season. The problem for Penrith is that Mansour is also managed by Ayoub, who is expected to push any savings the club gains from Mansour's likely release towards Crichton's new deal. Penrith want to use some of that money to keep the likes of Jarome Luai and Isaah Yeo at the club beyond the end of next season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Just because Crichton can demand 600-700k at a struggling team (e.g. us) doesn't mean he's worth that. I think he's work basically what Panthers have offered him, 500k. I think Ayoub can squeeze another 50k out of the Panthers but that's about it before they say cya. If the top teams want to stay where they're they can't afford to pay overs to retain players. These decisions are what's going to allow Panthers to stay at the top or fall back towards the pack.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Considering he played fullback coming through the grades and the sort of high level athlete he is, 650k could be good value.
Worth offering it to him to tighten up the Panthers cap with a view to other players.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because Crichton can demand 600-700k at a struggling team (e.g. us) doesn't mean he's worth that. I think he's work basically what Panthers have offered him, 500k. I think Ayoub can squeeze another 50k out of the Panthers but that's about it before they say cya. If the top teams want to stay where they're they can't afford to pay overs to retain players. These decisions are what's going to allow Panthers to stay at the top or fall back towards the pack.
Agreed. It's a bit rich to be chasing $700k when you have only really played one season of NRL.
Sure he is a great talent but he has had knee issues coming through and you would be paying on potential, not what he has achieved to date.
While I dont think he will be another Ash Taylor, it is still a risk I guess.
I think Panthers are on the right money here but some other club might take the gamble on a rich deal.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Stephen Crichton honors his hand shake deal with the shit stained penny panthers can we then get rid of his brother Christian??? Leave it to Pay to sign the wrong Crichton :grinning:

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s one one of the best backline prospects in the league. While we won’t know what’s he’s been offered he’s smart to at least test the market and see what other clubs are willing to pay.
This whole idea of taking hundreds of thousands of dollars a year less to stay loyal is stupid. He could be a top centre/fullback for the next decade and will easily command top dollar if he continues to develop.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s one one of the best backline prospects in the league. While we won’t know what’s he’s been offered he’s smart to at least test the market and see what other clubs are willing to pay.
This whole idea of taking hundreds of thousands of dollars a year less to stay loyal is stupid. He could be a top centre/fullback for the next decade and will easily command top dollar if he continues to develop.
Agree.!!! One of the best !!

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just use his brother as blackmail or should I say leverage LOL ... if you don't sign then we don't retain your brother and he can go be unemployed or rot in some park football competition

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Handshake deals are worth as much as the paper they are written on.