WTF is going on?

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bulldogs fans

Been on this forum for a while but this is my first post so I just wanted to use this as an opportunity to have a bit of a sook. Last night was the first time in my life I had Tigers fans giving it to me – can you believe this shit, now even Tigers fans feel sorry for us. WTF is going on - when did we become worse than the Tigers? I can’t ever remember being hammered by the Tigers – a fringe top 8 team – it’s embarrassing

Anyway, I just wanted to mention a few things

When the board makes an offer to a player, and the player immediately asks who the coach is, what do we say? I mean literally, what is our actual response to that simple question? I have no idea how we even have the audacity to make an offer to a player without knowing who the coach is going to be – it’s amateur stuff. Make a call one way or another soon - hopefully the right one (#sackpay)

I was well and truly on the Pay train up until last year but I jumped off a year ago. Unless I was dreaming, I swear there was a time under Pay where we were playing enterprising unstructured attacking footy – what happened to that? I didn’t think it would be possible for Pay to have a worse attacking structure than Hasler. Surely, the next coach can’t be worse than Pay – SURELY

At this stage, we need a broom through the whole joint as there is this stench about us that won’t be fixed by signing 3-4 players (if we can even get them without having to paying massive overs). The only way to change the perception is to have a complete cleanout – including the support staff. The perception amongst potential recruits is not going to change until Pay is gone – we need a clean slate

I have no idea what this “4 week last chance” is for? Hopefully the board is using this time to sign the new coach. Somebody mentioned in another thread they had made a 3 year offer to a coach and they're just waiting for the new coach to sign. Hopefully that is true because we need some good news.

Personally, I wouldn't mind Wane, Griffin or Toovey. Bennett doesn't impress me unless he has Ennis or Cronk as an assistant. I like Barrett as an assistant, especially since he could help entice Burton over. At this point, anybody over Pay will do

BTW, all these guys dreaming about Grant can probably stop now as there is no way in hell the Storm are going to lose him – remember, unlike us, they're a well-run club. Either Smith will retire (pushed on by the Strom) or he’ll play in the halves as you’d imagine they would move heaven and earth to placate Grant – good thing is at least the fucking Tigers won’t get him. Hopefully we then use that opportunity to go after a Smith – either Cam or Brandon. Cam would be great and would change the culture for us (like SBW did for the cocks in 2013)

Finally LOL at the people having a go at Avo. People expect a 19-year-old half, who’s only played a handful of first grade games, playing out of position, to defend like Jmoz would. You have to compare him to other kids his age – I still remember when Tedesco debuted, he was VERY skinny with shitty defense and look at him now. Hell, even Ponga’s defense is still shit now and he’s played Origin.

Avo’s decision making in defense is poor, but most kids his age have the same issue. Put him at fullback and it won’t be as much of an issue. Once he bulks up, and we get a better coach, his defense will improve (look at what Hasler did to Barba’s defense in the space of one off season). In terms of attack, he’s the only spark we have. Put him at fullback, and he would blow Hopoate out of the water. I fucking love the kid – he’s the only player in the team I actually like. Unfortunately, he’s being wasted in the centers (I think due to fitness concerns) and he’s paying outside RFM, who I have recently noticed is one selfish prick as he doesn't like to pass the ball.

Can’t wait until we see BBO into first grade – kid looks like a star. Also, Alamoti (if he’s still with us as someone mentioned he had signed with the Eels which wouldn't surprise me)

Anyway, sook OVER…for now

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The best thing that has happened to the club either via astute management or fluke is by the end of next season we will only have Thompson, Jackson, Stimson and zelezniak on the books.

In effect it gives us 2 bites of the cherry to get things right. That is what would appeal to the likes of Bennett and Bellamy (neither would consider us though). You have 3-4 million this season and 3-4 next. With so many kids coming through (no less then half a dozen who would be on small contracts) we can build a top heavy team, get a few role players, keep very very few from the current bunch. And have roster spots 17-30 filled with the minimum contract plodders/juniors.

The thing is will our current board, ceo, and coach have the pulling power/experience to identify our weaknesses and get the job done.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When you say ‘hey bulldogs fans’ you mean us or that muppet Nasheed [emoji23]

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The best thing that has happened to the club either via astute management or fluke is by the end of next season we will only have Thompson, Jackson, Stimson and zelezniak on the books.

In effect it gives us 2 bites of the cherry to get things right. That is what would appeal to the likes of Bennett and Bellamy (neither would consider us though). You have 3-4 million this season and 3-4 next. With so many kids coming through (no less then half a dozen who would be on small contracts) we can build a top heavy team, get a few role players, keep very very few from the current bunch. And have roster spots 17-30 filled with the minimum contract plodders/juniors.

The thing is will our current board, ceo, and coach have the pulling power/experience to identify our weaknesses and get the job done.
Agree. We are in a position to basically turn over 75% of our playing roster in the next 2 years. In most cases when teams are performing badly the saying goes "it's easier to sack the coach than sack players" but in our case we can choose to not re-sign a heap of players.

But as you say, do we have the board, ceo and coach to do that? On thing for sure is that Pay isn't the coach to do that. He wouldn't put a broom through the playing roster as I'm sure he would feel loyalty to alot of players which isn't a bad trait to have but in our position we have to be ruthless as our club is floundering and sinking with our current coach and playing roster.

A new coach is a neccessity as soon as possible and I feel we are fast approaching a critical deadline in being able to put these changes in place. I'm all for a "top" coach but realistically none are available. That's why now I think we need to look at coaches who could come in and takeover immediately for the rest of the year and be able to recruit for next year and beyond. Coaches like Griffin, Toovey, Henry, Brown, Barrett, Fitzgibbon etc. Obviously not our preferred choice but anything is a step up and improvement to what we have at the moment

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Well set out. There is a future but the decisions re coach and recruitment and retention, contract terms is on life support.

Get it wrong and no hope at all.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m in 2 minds about putting Avo at fullback. Not that I think he’s not up to it but I’m conscious of really denting the kids confidence by putting him in such a vital position in such a rubbish team. He was obviously targeted by the Tigers last night because he’s pretty much the only player that poses a genuine attacking threat whenever he touches the ball.

I know we can’t wrap him in cotton wool but I unfortunately have no faith in our powderpuff forwards to protect him and fire up if\when he is targeted with dirty play.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The 4 week window for Pay is all a smokescreen. Pay is finished. The club are trying to steer clear of the way the Hasler situation was handled.
They steered themselves head long into it tho. This ciircus is playing out the same way.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’m in 2 minds about putting Avo at fullback. Not that I think he’s not up to it but I’m conscious of really denting the kids confidence by putting him in such a vital position in such a rubbish team. He was obviously targeted by the Tigers last night because he’s pretty much the only player that poses a genuine attacking threat whenever he touches the ball.

I know we can’t wrap him in cotton wool but I unfortunately have no faith in our powderpuff forwards to protect him and fire up if\when he is targeted with dirty play.
Can see your point but the guy seems like he'd put his hand up.

We have to put our trust in these guys. Whats the alternative?

DWZ fullback with Crichton/Meaney winger.
Avo fullback with Holland/Morgan centre.
Holland/Meaney fullback.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 4 week window for Pay is all a smokescreen. Pay is finished. The club are trying to steer clear of the way the Hasler situation was handled.
think your right pay was really a stop gap plan b but we really need to know who's coach in 21 lot of anger out here it's obvious pays done this year I'm sure he knows it

Kebab74

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Long read... How about expressing your views in point form instead of an essay.. But I agree with the premis of your post who ever conducts an investigation into the WHO should be be commissioned to complete a thorough review of the bulldogs

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can see your point but the guy seems like he'd put his hand up.

We have to put our trust in these guys. Whats the alternative?

DWZ fullback with Crichton/Meaney winger.
Avo fullback with Holland/Morgan centre.
Holland/Meaney fullback.
That’s the thing, there aren’t many alternatives. I’d probably give DWZ the gig until Hopoate is back and hope he can get the errors out of his game.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
think your right pay was really a stop gap plan b but we really need to know who's coach in 21 lot of anger out here it's obvious pays done this year I'm sure he knows it
Yes, and the fact that Pay was brought in under Dib’s watch doesn’t help.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's my interpretation of what is happening as well - at some point it will need to be public that he will not be renewed for 2021.
Vandelay industries - latex?

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes i agree. Napa has been a colossal disappointment for mine. What happened to the guy who single handedly demolished the Burgess brothers a few years ago? Apart from Sue, none of our forwards have any mongrel.
Last night would have been the perfect chance to give Avo a spell at fullback, even for 20 minutes. DWZ is a great winger but his lack of ball playing ability means he's not a threat in attack. Avo will be a faster version of Hoppa, which is what we desperately need. I'm sick of the same boring attack we've seen since 2013 - enough already

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope so. With all these Pay articles coming out, this might be a good thing because it should be putting the board under pressure to make a decision. I can only see us maybe beating the Broncos so 1 out of 4 wins isn't going to be enough to save his job

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
That seems too much of a smart move for our dumb **** board.

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
Yes i agree. Napa has been a colossal disappointment for mine. What happened to the guy who single handedly demolished the Burgess brothers a few years ago? Apart from Sue, none of our forwards have any mongrel.
Last night would have been the perfect chance to give Avo a spell at fullback, even for 20 minutes. DWZ is a great winger but his lack of ball playing ability means he's not a threat in attack. Avo will be a faster version of Hoppa, which is what we desperately need. I'm sick of the same boring attack we've seen since 2013 - enough already[/ Napa doesn’t play like he used to because he will be suspended as soon as it looks high or to hard, he is slow and is limited with the ball but we bought him I assume for his intensity in defence and it’s about time we throw caution to the wind and rip into him pre game and start really putting it him to try and iron out some key playmakers in opposing sides, because atm you can get anyone to do what he doing, on way less freight