Wrongful Imprisonment Compensation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm exactly the same. What about the Queen - "Your Majesty" - FFS she's blood, flesh, skin and bones like the rest of us.

Kaspa

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Compensation wrongful conviction in Australia:

Individuals wrongfully convicted and imprisoned do not have a common law or statutory right to compensation in any Australian jurisdictions other than the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). However, a state or territory government may choose to make an ex gratia payment either on its own accord or as a result of a request by a party for such a payment.

An ex gratia payment is a '[p]ayment of money made or given as a concession, without legal compulsion' (Butterworth 2004). The term literally means 'out of grace' rather than as a debt of justice. State and territory governments are not obliged to make ex gratia payments in respect of wrongful convictions and a decision to refuse to make a payment is not reviewable in any way (Butterworth 2007). Ex gratia payments are made in a wide range of situations other than to compensate for wrongful convictions, including as a means of implementing financial aid packages to individuals after natural disasters. In some Australian jurisdictions, the relevant Attorney-General's office may publish general guidelines detailing the factors normally assessed in awarding ex gratia payments. Sometimes, specific guidelines may be promulgated to deal with particular types of payments. There are currently no publicly available guidelines in any Australian jurisdiction specifically dealing with ex gratia payments for wrongful conviction. Beyond that a conviction was wrongful, it is difficult to identify the factors that need to be present for a wrongfully convicted person to be compensated, nor how such compensation will be quantified. A high public profile seems to be a good start in terms of background circumstances, although even this does not guarantee success (Percy 2007).

Occasionally, facts surrounding a wrongful conviction may also support tortious claims, such as a false imprisonment, malicious prosecution or misfeasance (New Zealand Law Reform Commission 1998; Percy 2007). These tortious causes of action are very difficult to prove. Even very compelling cases of wrongful conviction will generally not give rise to a successful claim in tort. They require specific additional facts to be present beyond simply that a conviction was wrongful. As such, the protections offered in tort law to wrongfully convicted people are more of theoretical rather than practical utility.

The other type of award that needs to be distinguished from compensation is legal costs. Normally a successful criminal defendant will not be awarded the legal costs expended in defending criminal charges. However, where there have been malfunctions in the criminal process, courts in some Australian jurisdictions may award legal costs to a defendant (Fox 2005: 78, 307-308). Such awards relate to legal costs expended, not compensation.

Kaspa

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
So that's if ur going at the courts for the compo above the one u want to seek to and sue is the police and last yr they paid 5mil in wrongful arrest and imprisonment

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol each case is different... alot of questions need to be asked for a proper answer to be given to you... if the matter reached trial, a committal hearing would have been held prior which establishes a prima faci case, meaning a judge looking at all evidence put forward to him would think a properly instructed jury would convict a person (if evidence is taken at its highest), saying that i doubt your mate could sue the cops unless he can prove police misconduct or corruption....

In regards to the photos you say... were the served prior to the trial? If not they wouldnt not be admissible. Were the photos presented to the jury??? If so, was the authenticity of the photo questioned? Its easy to produce a photo and say it was taken at a particular time...

The appeal process is not as easy as everyone thinks as well...

Also was he on remand or in prison as a result of a conviction?

I dare say there is alot of information missing

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm exactly the same. What about the Queen - "Your Majesty" - FFS she's blood, flesh, skin and bones like the rest of us.
Fuck her and her reptilian family lol

They are fucking nothing. That old fossil lizard is only good for a public holiday.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Lol each case is different... alot of questions need to be asked for a proper answer to be given to you... if the matter reached trial, a committal hearing would have been held prior which establishes a prima faci case, meaning a judge looking at all evidence put forward to him would think a properly instructed jury would convict a person (if evidence is taken at its highest), saying that i doubt your mate could sue the cops unless he can prove police misconduct or corruption....

In regards to the photos you say... were the served prior to the trial? If not they wouldnt not be admissible. Were the photos presented to the jury??? If so, was the authenticity of the photo questioned? Its easy to produce a photo and say it was taken at a particular time...

The appeal process is not as easy as everyone thinks as well...

Also was he on remand or in prison as a result of a conviction?

I dare say there is alot of information missing
Speaking of cops, I feel sorry for them, honestly. They bust their arses to catch the scum *****, then the scum **** judges let the scum ***** off with a slap on the wrist.

I couldn't be a cop, unless I judge the ***** too lol

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Speaking of cops, I feel sorry for them, honestly. They bust their arses to catch the scum *****, then the scum **** judges let the scum ***** off with a slap on the wrist.

I couldn't be a cop, unless I judge the ***** too lol
Same here. I mean don't get me wrong, there are dirty cops out there, but the majority are good, hard working people risking their lives everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.