Would this tactic be legal in NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Was thinking about this tonight.

So lets say you are TEAM A. You are attacking and getting pinned in your own 20m line. 5th tackle comes up, and a player who is not normally the kicker gets the ball and is about to get pinned.

Option A: Try and kick the ball up field with an inexperienced kicker, which runs the risk of either it hitting a defenders legs, or only going 20-30m max; or
Option B: Turn around to face your own dead ball line, and kick the ball over your own dead ball.

With Option B wouldn't the NRL rule be that TEAM A would then get to do a dropout (with a preferred kicker potentially punting it well over 50 - 60m - i.e to opposing teams 40).

If so that also opens up the chance to get the ball back via short dropout, or even dropout/grubber over the sidelines.

From memory there was also another rule where you could get a 20m tap (these days a 7 tackle set), dropout the ball on the 20m, and if it went over the sideline you got the ball from there (on the attack). Sherwin used to do it heaps.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple - not in the spirit of the game to turn and kick the ball dead.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Option B sounds like a Des Hasler move. Much like kicking the ball directly into the ref to gain an extra 6 tackles, a brilliant tactic but NOT when you have a loud mouth like Reynolds in your team. I still can't believe the little **** gave us away, and then the NRL changed the rule.

Even though it shows out of the box thinking and there is a method to your madness Mr I, I agree with Novdoggie in it being unsportsmanlike conduct and knowing how popular we seem to be with the NRL and it's officials we would probably get penalized for the tactic.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I figured there would be something stopping it, but it's those little tactics that could liven games up :D.

Just like teams dieing on the 5th right near an opponents try line to avoid giving away 7 tackles.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing that up, I always thought about that when I saw teams trapped in their own 20-30m with a pressure kick coming up on the 5th.

Here's one from Marshall but it was 5 seconds from fulltime. Personally, I think its not in the spirit of the game....you should always run towards the opposition or at least give an opportunity to be tackled.....

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No matter the rules, teams, coaches will always manipulate them to suit them

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Option B sounds like a Des Hasler move. Much like kicking the ball directly into the ref to gain an extra 6 tackles, a brilliant tactic but NOT when you have a loud mouth like Reynolds in your team. I still can't believe the little **** gave us away, and then the NRL changed the rule.

Even though it shows out of the box thinking and there is a method to your madness Mr I, I agree with Novdoggie in it being unsportsmanlike conduct and knowing how popular we seem to be with the NRL and it's officials we would probably get penalized for the tactic.
What’s the rule now? Didn’t know that they changed it

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm, dunno, if you can't trust the player to get a decent kick down field, you sure you want them to put a kick into their own in goal?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The moment Option B starts being used is the moment I stop watching.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Technically a lot of these tactics could work. I mean say you're leading by 2 with a minute out on the 5th tackle, 20m out from the opposition, couldn't you technically run backwards towards your own goal line, run it into a drop out and then delay another 10 seconds. That'd surely kill any time left

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Technically a lot of these tactics could work. I mean say you're leading by 2 with a minute out on the 5th tackle, 20m out from the opposition, couldn't you technically run backwards towards your own goal line, run it into a drop out and then delay another 10 seconds. That'd surely kill any time left
That would totally be against the spirit of the game and our club would be branded cheats.We would be crucified. The news tabloids would have a field day at our clubs expense.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The whole "against the spirit of the game" line is laughable when you take into account every bad refs call (multiple per game) is against the spirit of the game as well.

As is teams trying to poach other teams coaches.
As is teams trying to poach other teams players.
As are midseason transfers.
As is Matt Lodge.

The list goes on and on and on.

The games already fucked... allowing smart coaches to take advantages of loopholes will hardly hurt it.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The whole "against the spirit of the game" line is laughable when you take into account every bad refs call (multiple per game) is against the spirit of the game as well.

As is teams trying to poach other teams coaches.
As is teams trying to poach other teams players.
As are midseason transfers.
As is Matt Lodge.

The list goes on and on and on.

The games already fucked... allowing smart coaches to take advantages of loopholes will hardly hurt it.
No it wont hurt it, it would kill it!!! There are enough disgruntled NRL fans already walking away from the game.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you get caught on the 5th with the ball ( except scoring) then the opposition should get 7 tackle set

Make the Fkn playmaker earn their keep with kicking skills

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If you get caught on the 5th with the ball ( except scoring) then the opposition should get 7 tackle set

Make the Fkn playmaker earn their keep with kicking skills
I reckon if you catch a bomb on the full (as a defending side) within 10m of your try line should be a 20m/30m tap.

Create a bit more risk in putting up the bomb to force teams to grubber / chip.. and with that make it a 30m tap OR 7 tackle set for kicking over dead ball line.

Status
Not open for further replies.