Would it be better to finish 4th or 5th this season on the NRL ladder?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I personally think it would be better for Manly to finish 5th than 4th.

If they finish 4th they will play Melbourne in week 1 and it will be a tough game where their players will get bashed and most likely lose anyway. Then they will go into week 2 against probably the Roosters while more tired.

If they finish 5th they will play the Titans or Knights which they will destroy and have a chance to rest players at the end of the game. Then in week 2 they will play the Roosters who would be battered from playing the Storm.

Same opponent in week 2 but the 5th placed team will be fresher.

Also no home advantage wherever you finish.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

If they finish 4th they will play Melbourne in week 1 and it will be a tough game where their players will get bashed and most likely lose anyway. Then they will go into week 2 against probably the Roosters while more tired.

If they finish 5th they will play the Titans or Knights which they will destroy and have a chance to rest players at the end of the game. Then in week 2 they will play the Roosters who would be battered from playing the Storm.

i think it alway best to have 2 bites at the cherry and be one game from the GF. If melbourne dont lose another game until the finals, id like to play them. Always closer to a loss.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
i think it alway best to have 2 bites at the cherry and be one game from the GF. If melbourne dont lose another game until the finals, id like to play them. Always closer to a loss.
People said the same about the Panthers last year and they didn't lose until the GF.

I think Melbourne don't lose week 1 or 2 of the finals this year.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
People said the same about the Panthers last year and they didn't lose until the GF.

I think Melbourne don't lose week 1 or 2 of the finals this year.
Melbourne won't lose another game all year so it probably doesn't matter

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think they will. They will lose either the prelim or grand final. Everyone just thinks they will coast to a premiership....pressure is all on their shoulders this year, like it was for Penrith last year. History has shown teams in their position have a habit of getting bitten in the butt. They remind me a bit of Manly in 95 (onlky less experienced). We all know what happened there....

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Interesting theory the 4th vs 5th finish and one i have pondered too..there is merit in both scenario's but i had/have pencilled them in to win all 3 regular games left then play the Storm week 1 obviously this is a very tough ask, it will be interesting to see if they "drop' a game so that they do finish 5th.
I think they fancy themselves to beat Melbourne it's just a case of which way do they go about it..i've always thought a second chance is usually a worthy reward.
I also still think the Storm would rather than shoot for 24 straight to win the comp. prefer to "drop" their last regular season game for example to get that winning streak monkey off the back...dunno though they might just be arrogant enough to go "nah we will try and create a record that likely never gets beaten".

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with this and with Zill for the reasons mentioned. Manly, Eels and us have 4th, 5th and 6th to sort out. Manly can win all three, us two and Eels maybe one. I think it'll finish Manly 4, us 5 and Eels 6 with Manly scaring the crap out of Melb in the first final.

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s all about Des…
We know he is all about setting up the 4th for the next 2 plays…
And if it’s 5th, his players will head to the corner and give up any chance

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always better to try and finish top 4. Stats don't lie, nobody outside the top 4 have won it (modern era).

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

We haven't done that for years so really don't know....:upset:

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Great point, fifth for sure. The teams coming in 7th and 8th are purely making up the numbers. Be a training run for manly, they could take tommy off after halftime if wanted

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Melbourne don’t take the gf it will be the ultimate choke and have shit the bed

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes they will. As good as Munster is, he’s a brain explosion away from costing them
Na, look how shit they were last night and they still did the Titans easy. Munster stood up when they needed him. They aren't losing a game all season.