WORST GOAL LINE DEFENCE I'VE EVER SEEN

Malla

Reaction score
It’s pretty embarrassing!
However it highlights their issues. At the beginning of the season, they were going well in this area. Defence was good. But as season has went on it’s dropped off and now it’s probably the worst it’s been. Most of them are not first graders. Long, long way to go.

Malla

Reaction score
Mentioned him last year. Jayden Sua, he's a tough **** and regularly takes hard carries despite being an edge. Would consider him as right edge 2RF and Preston at lock to harden our side defensively
How bad is his shoulder injury? Otherwise yes would love Sua at dogs. Also I love Lawrie. Not sure Dragons would ever let him go but he’s the type of middle this club needs.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not saying he’s blameless but Ciro isn’t laying on the ground leaving us short at marker, isn’t meandering back into the defensive line like it’s a Sunday stroll on the beach, and isn’t leaving a massive gap in front of the play the ball 2m out.

There’s plenty of blame to go around
Exactly right. Ciraldo clearly knows how to set up a defensive structure, as should every coach and assistant, and teach his players to follow it.

What’s missing for us is the effort first and foremost, followed closely by the footy smarts. Effort gets you back in the defensive line every single set no matter how gassed you are. Footy smarts means you look at Willison at dummy half 2m out and make sure you have 3 of your biggest forwards waiting for him.

Ciraldo’s issue is he’s not getting that effort and brainpower out of his players. Either they don’t have it but we’re persisting with them until better quality players arrive, or they have it but they’re not willing to give it because they know they won’t get dropped because there’s no one banging the door down to take their spot.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That was really dreadful. I watched the try again on social media (don’t know why I did that) and they looked so confused. They were both going different directions and not sure who Morrin is yelling at. It’s laughable especially considering Topine had already been involved in letting a try in beforehand doing the exact same thing. That was the weakest and most embarrassing defence I’ve seen. Topine was just so bad.
Morrin had to have been yelling at Topine and anyone else on his right to cover Willison (who he’s pointing at directly!) because Morrin was worried about the attacker to Willison’s right. Topine stays on the other side of the ruck until it’s too late, and not one other player responds to the most obvious, inevitable thing that was always going to happen. It’s honestly one of the most embarrassing things I’ve seen from us in many years. Ennis actually groans out loud at how bad it was.

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How was the atmosphere RP? Seemed like the booing was replaced with stunned silence and pure hopelessness at what has become of our team.

Such a big day out and occasion at our spiritual home and both of our teams just capitulated.

Bad enough watching on TV but the feeling at the ground must have been very hollow.
It was going pretty good, was loving the crowd up until after second half and broncos scored with a man down. It started getting quieter and quieter. Broncos were just running through us , it was just embarrassing. A lot of the boys next to us just sat it in silence.

It was such a shame because the atmosphere at Belmore is perfect and we are continuously let down whenever we go to Belmore. Wasted my money and time to be honest.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree but disagree… players ain’t progressing and getting better under his coaching which is a worry. Season almost done and besides Preston I don’t see anyone improving. Mahoney and jac have regressed from last year. Rfm is a shadow of his former self. It seems like these players have no fear of getting dropped or don’t fear the coach. Im sick and tired of this friendly style of coaching. The joint needed a hard ass coach like flange to come and wipe out every dead wood. And make players accountable for shit effort. I bet you my left nut dragons will be a fringe 8 team next year while we lurk down the bottom again. Sick of this crap the club has been dishing out for years.
Stuff throwing a pub at Tino, throw one at Todd Payton.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why the Fuck do we persist with these short drop out kicks when the score is 18 all ? and give the opposing teams the ball back in our quarter when we the defense is so bad, we have been doing this all year and 9 times out of 10 we don't get the ball back and the opposing team gets the ball back in our red zone and score a try because our defense is so bad talk about poor footy IQ Burton should be booting the bloody ball as far down the field as he can and try and force the mistake on their side of half way as far from our danger zone as possible
I agree, but I think what teams have figured out is that if you kick long you’ve got zero chance of getting it back and it’ll usually go 40-45m and the attack ends up back in the red zone anyway on tackle 1 or maybe tackle 2. Kicking short means giving up 10m of field position, but in return you have a 50/50 chance of getting the ball.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Exactly right. Ciraldo clearly knows how to set up a defensive structure, as should every coach and assistant, and teach his players to follow it.

What’s missing for us is the effort first and foremost, followed closely by the footy smarts. Effort gets you back in the defensive line every single set no matter how gassed you are. Footy smarts means you look at Willison at dummy half 2m out and make sure you have 3 of your biggest forwards waiting for him.

Ciraldo’s issue is he’s not getting that effort and brainpower out of his players. Either they don’t have it but we’re persisting with them until better quality players arrive, or they have it but they’re not willing to give it because they know they won’t get dropped because there’s no one banging the door down to take their spot.
Well we all saw early in the season they were (for the most part) willing to compete and show up for each other. Thats not happening now.

Many have said that bc we keep picking the mistake riddled, low effort players, that the enthusiasm has been sucked dry out of the others and they've also gotten comfortable with half hearted efforts or by now totally washed and hit a wall bc of all the failure to get any positivity out of the team. This must affect the relationship with the coach. He has complained about the mistakes and dumb actions and effort but still picks the same offenders. Recently tho he has dropped one or 2 and Avo at fullback has been an improvement over Perham.

It doesnt look a happy team able to dig themselves out of these huge defeats and most guys have gone from good form into career worst.

So glad I can cancel Kayo lol.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It was going pretty good, was loving the crowd up until after second half and broncos scored with a man down. It started getting quieter and quieter. Broncos were just running through us , it was just embarrassing. A lot of the boys next to us just sat it in silence.

It was such a shame because the atmosphere at Belmore is perfect and we are continuously let down whenever we go to Belmore. Wasted my money and time to be honest.
Not good mate.
Many fans would really be asking themselves why bother again. The team dont seem to value Belmore like us fans ...but we are a resilient lot and only want some hope. Some hope that we can mix it with our opponents and be competitive.

We just need to see that the long slow build to a Premiership is underway on the field as well.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, but I think what teams have figured out is that if you kick long you’ve got zero chance of getting it back and it’ll usually go 40-45m and the attack ends up back in the red zone anyway on tackle 1 or maybe tackle 2. Kicking short means giving up 10m of field position, but in return you have a 50/50 chance of getting the ball.
Well we might if the tallest player on the field actually tries to catch it…

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
We get dominated through the middle and in the ruck. Which allows opposition teams to get quick play the ball.
100% when you lose the ruck the snow ball effect is everywhere. Dummy half runs and edge defence making bad reads. We are a bad team at defending mistakes and holting momentum. 3 tries in 10min is a regular occurrence for us.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why the Fuck do we persist with these short drop out kicks when the score is 18 all ? and give the opposing teams the ball back in our quarter when we the defense is so bad, we have been doing this all year and 9 times out of 10 we don't get the ball back and the opposing team gets the ball back in our red zone and score a try because our defense is so bad talk about poor footy IQ Burton should be booting the bloody ball as far down the field as he can and try and force the mistake on their side of half way as far from our danger zone as possible
Surely it has to come down to our coach. Things like this not being sorted is a major concern over Ciraldo along with many others

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying Pottz but when you have a non-existent goal line defense like we have then it's just inviting the opposition to score a try against you which we have seen time and time again and it's even worse. when we are still in the game like yesterday and that short drop out leads to a try and changes the course of the game

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton.
We've only missed 9 tackles all half.

That tells you all you need to know. Silly ***** on the edge plant their feet and turn in to give away the overlap.
Or Burton gets hit as a spot player for a quick play the ball.
+Morrin and Topine shouldn’t be on at the same time

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dessy figured it out years ago, he is 10 steps ahead of the game.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
This is why when you guys are chasing Haas and Tino for 1 mil,
I’m looking at the next tolman for 200k
Tolman had Klemmer, Kasiano, Jammer, & Beast taking us forward .. right now even he’d struggle to keep up while we’re going backwards ..

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dessy figured it out years ago, he is 10 steps ahead of the game.
his fixation on possession and completions provided some cutting edge tactics… that was one of them. The other was dying with the ball in deep opposition territory - a terrific ploy if you’re a couple of points ahead and you’re trying to get the opposition to work it out of their red zone.

Good ole dessie.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tolman had Klemmer, Kasiano, Jammer, & Beast taking us forward .. right now even he’d struggle to keep up while we’re going backwards ..
How about Mahoney behind that pack doubt we would hear much criticism on his name.