Worse Bulldogs side over the last 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of threads about favourite players etc but I thougth I would stir the pot up a bit with a Worse side of the last 20 years.

My Worse Dogs side since 85
Here we go lads. Here is my worse Dogs side over the last 20 years.

1. Scott Wilson
2. Paul Doolan
3. Andy Patmore - Edit for Matt Ryan.
4. Glenn Nissen
5. Shane Martenee
6. Peter Wheeler
7. Jason Alchin
8. Gavin Hill
9. Geordi Peats
10. Mitch Newton
11. Robert Tocco
12. Scott Tronc
13. Glen Hughes

14. Steven Hughes
15. Kyle White
16. Darren Currie
17. Henry Raymond

Now that is a poor Dogs side. Any opinions ?

Last edited by a moderator:

BULLDOG 4 LIFE

Waterboy
Reaction score
Glenn Nissen did score a run away try in the 88 g/f at a crucial stage in the game ,after a Michael Hagan line break

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awww I made the worst dogs side :(

No suprise that the only ones of those ive heard of are Steven and Glen Hughes.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Interesting thread :grinning:
Id replace Matty Ryan with Andy Patmore. Ben Gillies at Hooker instead of Geordi Peats. Robin Thorne on the wing instead of Marteene. Id probably go for Kevin Moore at halfback instead of Alchin. Alchin was a good young player before he broke his leg in 90? He was ordinary after that.
Kyle White was an ordinary player but jeez he could put on a hit. I remember him smashing an Illawarra player at Belmore once. One of the best hits Ive seen.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
wheres darrell trindal? Rod Silva? Gavin Lester?

Glen Nissen was a good player... Martenee wasnt that bad...

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Do yourself a favour and go and watch a copy of the 1988 Grand Final. Glenn Nissen and Jason Alchin have blinders. They are both premiership players. It is an insult to them that you put them in that team.

Once you finish watching that, watch the 95 GF and watch Matt Ryan set up the match clinching try after spending the rest of the game shutting down the Manly backline wih his defence.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Matt Ryan was a great player hampered by injuries. He was a tall and powerful centre. Nowhere near the worst team.

How can you name this team without including Ben Czislowski? He'd be the captain.

F R 3 D 5 7 A

√ [ό] √
Reaction score
The Dominator said:
Matt Ryan was a great player hampered by injuries. He was a tall and powerful centre. Nowhere near the worst team.

How can you name this team without including Ben Czislowski? He'd be the captain.
Lol.

Captain would be Brett Howland though. Could not defend if his life depended on it. Dud buy.

Anastabation

Reaction score
I wouldn't have Scott Wilson, he was a damn good player in about 93/94 and I remember he carved us up playing for the western reds in the super league days. I'd have Flemming who started the season in 1998 as fullback.

Matt Ryan was a good player... there are plenty worse in the last 20 years and definitely less than that were better... he played super league for NSW in 1997 and was good when fit.

Shane Martenee wasn't too bad as a fringe first grader... I reckon Howland was worse than him.

Steve Hughes wasn't too bad either imo.

Trindal had a very good year in 2001... considering he was only at the club for 2 years I'd say thats a tough call.

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
I think some people need to re-look at some highlights videos...

some of the mentioned players did quite well... as much as i hate to say it as he wasnt a favourite of mine but Matt Ryan was a solid player and many other teams wouldn't have minded him playing for them at the peak of his form. I can recall many more unsuccessful centres since '85 for him to be not mentioned in that team.

Russ

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am assuming that the criteria for the side is that the player has played first grade (ie the worst FIRST grade Bulldogs side for the last 20 years).

Two certainties for selection in such a side:
Andy Patmore
Troy Clarke

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Prodigal Son said:
I am assuming that the criteria for the side is that the player has played first grade (ie the worst FIRST grade Bulldogs side for the last 20 years).

Two certainties for selection in such a side:
Andy Patmore
Troy Clarke
Troy Clarke burst on the scene and seemed awesome after scoring that Gearin/Brentnall style try against Wests in '92? A few weeks later I remember him having an absolute shocker against the Roosters. He just couldnt catch the ball. After that he disappeared off the face of the Rugby League earth.

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
BAZA said:
Troy Clarke burst on the scene and seemed awesome after scoring that Gearin/Brentnall style try against Wests in '92? A few weeks later I remember him having an absolute shocker against the Roosters. He just couldnt catch the ball. After that he disappeared off the face of the Rugby League earth.
You must have seen the same Roosters game that I did! I was at the SFS that day when Troy Clarke seemed to do everything in his power to LOSE the game! Yet somehow (despite Troy's abysmal performance) Canterbury ended up winning (probably due to the coach finally replacing him!).

BTW, Baza, do you recall a madman (IMHO) that day pacing around the crowd all day making "go Roosters" chants wearing some sort of Rooster headgear (some sort of skullcap with A Rooster crown and feathers) making a nuisance of himself?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
martenee was elcrappo

he was slow as hell. cost dogs heaps of trys. (just watch a game in 2000 from memory against warriors about 30 points from him from drop ball in goal)

Sh!tlowski is crap but could turn out good

trindal had a good partnership with anasta

lester was a decent fullback. had some good games there.

imo glen hughes is more than useful from younger brother corey. steve was a defensive centre so didnt score much. he was also slow.

howland could run 100 in 11 but could not jump to catch a ball. never really got a chance at the doggies. i do remember a try for the sharks. 100 m against sailor. big wendel did not have a chance. i think that is when he became the whipit

i also think there have been worse player than nissan and newton.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Marteene should be exempt from any team on the basis of his match sealing try against St George in the 98 semi finals. That was a great try.

BulldogForLife

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Prodigal Son said:
BTW, Baza, do you recall a madman (IMHO) that day pacing around the crowd all day making "go Roosters" chants wearing some sort of Rooster headgear (some sort of skullcap with A Rooster crown and feathers) making a nuisance of himself?
That dude has been around at matches for years and years... no lie!

At least, I'm assuming it's the same guy, but I have a seen a guy fitting exactly that description at games since the mid 1980s!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.