World Cup European zone qualifying competition will be played in Belgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belgrade gets World Cup nod
Serbians given home boost ahead of World Cup qualifying

Three of the six matches in October's World Cup European zone qualifying competition will be played in Belgrade.

Serbia have been picked to host contests involving Italy, Russia, Lebanon and themselves.

The quartet will be vying to join Scotland and Tonga in group C of the main tournament, which will be staged in England and Wales in the autumn of 2013.

The mini tournament kicks off with the first-ever international between the Azzurri and the Russians in Padova on October 15 and culminates in a double-header in Belgrade a fortnight later.

Exciting
Rugby League European Federation general manager Danny Kazandjian said: "The European zone qualifiers present an opportunity for one of the competing nations to take their organisation onto the next level and, with no discernible favourite, I look forward to an exciting October."

With home advantage in two of their three fixtures, improving Serbia will fancy their chances of booking their place in the main draw.

Former Great Britain international Lee Crooks, Serbia's technical director, said: "It is a very tough qualifying group but we have the self-belief that we can overcome the challenge ahead and show the rugby league world that the game in Serbia is getting stronger each year."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12196_6832520,00.html

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Qualifying fixtures:
October 15: Italy v Russia (Padova).
October 16: Lebanon v Serbia (Tripoli).
October 22: Russia v Lebanon (Vereya).
October 23: Serbia v Italy (Belgrade).
October 29: Serbia v Russia, Italy v Lebanon (Belgrade).

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Lebanon should win all 3 games. The russian game would be their toughest.

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
i think lebanon n italy will be the top teams got some nrl players to call on

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
It's a shame Lebanon are never able to select all their players. Hazem barely played for them, Robbie Farah would barely play for Australia if Smith is around and then he has to contend with Ennis, yet he too will never play.

There should be concessions made for low tier teams to at least try and field better sides. Lebanon's side would improve out of site if someone like Farah was allowed to play for them if not selected for Australia.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Farah doesn't want to play either way so that doesn't matter, toughest game will be against Italy. My bro in law is the assistant coach and they are flying out soon, hopefully they can get through.

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
will it be televized by foxtel ?

surely it will be available for streaming ?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Lebanon should win all 3 games. The russian game would be their toughest.
I think Italy will be their toughest.

Italy have Anthony Minichiello, Craig Gower, Joel Romelo, Anthony Laffranchi and Aiden Guerra.

Such a shame that Farah and Tim Mannah dont want to play for Lebanon.

There should be some sort of amnesty to allow players to play for their country but colin love wouldnt allow it

B

Baghdatis

Broadcast? Foxtel? LIVE Streaming?. I'm pretty sure Sky Sports UK a going to show the games LIVE. Anyone know?

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why do you have to write live in all capitals?

Also, has Craig Gower returned to league? Last I heard he was playing for Bayonne in the French Top 14 competition.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you have to write live in all capitals?

Also, has Craig Gower returned to league? Last I heard he was playing for Bayonne in the French Top 14 competition.
Gower's off to London to play League for Harlequeins next year. Hadn't heard that he was planning to play for Italy's national team, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.