Woods describes our season start as "a bit of a fail".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/23...oods-describes-start-to-the-season-as-a-fail/

Aaron Woods has described the Canterbury Bulldogs' start to the season as a "fail" but has promised fans the side's attack will improve despite a slight dip compared to the same stage in 2017.

Canterbury are languishing in 14th position on the Telstra Premiership ladder after seven rounds and their point-scoring woes remain the primary concern.

''It's [the start to the season] probably a fail at the moment, we've only won two games out of seven. We've put ourselves in a tough situation but it's a really good group here. I think we've got better each week,'' Woods said.

At the same point in 2017, the Bulldogs were seventh with four wins and three losses but could only manage 110 points (average of 15.7 per game) – equal worst behind cellar dwellers the Wests Tigers and Newcastle Knights – who finished in the bottom four.

Des Hasler's coaching reign at Belmore came to an end following last year's poor returns.

That trend has continued this season with Dean Pay's side scoring just 103 points – a slight dip to 14.71 per game.

Only Parramatta, who piled on 44 points against Manly on Sunday, have been worse with the ball in hand.

The Bulldogs' 6-0 loss to the Sydney Roosters was the proving point that more work needs to be done at Belmore. Fifty-two tackles inside the Tricolours' 20-metre zone on Thursday night failed to result in a try.

"The frustrating thing was we got ourselves in a good position to score points but weren't good enough," Woods said.

"We've got to throw a lot more questions. We went one out and were trying to solve it ourselves. That's probably been our issue this year.

"The times we've played the footy we know we can play we're good, but when we play simple footy we're not asking questions of the defensive line.

"We should be scoring a fair few tries there. We've got to keep working hard, we're improving each week but need to be getting the wins."

Marquee signing Kieran Foran came under criticism following the Roosters game for a lack of involvement in crunch time, but Woods said there was plenty of direction on the paddock from he and young halves partner Jeremy Marshall-King.

Woods was not concerned with the side's lack of flow in attack but said fans were entitled to feel frustrated.

"I think they were both calling for the ball. For us that's a good sign, our halves are trying to stamp their authority late in the game when we needed it," Woods said.

"I thought their touches were great late in the game. Kieran almost went through and Jez asked questions all night of the right edge of the Roosters.

"We've got to keep building and pick our times better when we use our halves. The whole pre-season we worked with Matt Frawley and Kieran Foran in the halves. We've made a change there.

"Sometimes we probably carry the ball too much whereas we should get them more involved in the game. It's a whole group thing but I don't think it's too far around the corner."

Maybe the problem with Roosters game was too many people calling for the ball. Let Foran lead the attack and if he wants the ball heading to JMK then fair enough.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel for Woods, I really do. He came here because he expected us to be better than the Tigers and the absolute opposite has happened.

Woods hasn't played well every game, but he has had more good games than bad making tonnes of meters and producing offloads and it is all for naught.

I just hope they sort out this debacle we have with JMK and Lichaa. JMK is a mong when he gets the ball in attack and Lichaa ... well we don't need another thread on that.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is, we can’t keep passing to Foran because other teams can read this.

The other problem is, the other guy we keep passing to isn’t creative enough.. so you’re fucked either way.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The problem is, we can’t keep passing to Foran because other teams can read this.

The other problem is, the other guy we keep passing to isn’t creative enough.. so you’re fucked either way.
It's not like Foran is having a shitload of possessions though..i mean there's 13 other halfbacks that handle the ball more times a game than him. It's more that he isn't getting the ball in right positions with the right players arouns him.

Foran isn't exactly a super creative half anyway, his strength has always been playing direct and creating space for his outside men. When Foran goes to the line in the oppositions red zone, more often than not we should have Moses on his outside running onto the ball and using his pace to take advantage of the space created. But for whatever reason Pay has decided Moses is going to be stuck on the other side of the field organsing the attack or jumping in at first receiver. It's just shit structures setup by Pay.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's not like Foran is having a shitload of possessions though..i mean there's 13 other halfbacks that handle the ball more times a game than him. It's more that he isn't getting the ball in right positions with the right players arouns him.

Foran isn't exactly a super creative half anyway, his strength has always been playing direct and creating space for his outside men. When Foran goes to the line in the oppositions red zone, more often than not we should have Moses on his outside running onto the ball and using his pace to take advantage of the space created. But for whatever reason Pay has decided Moses is going to be stuck on the other side of the field organsing the attack or jumping in at first receiver. It's just shit structures setup by Pay.
Yes whenever Foran goes to the line. He will always have jacko but he also needs Mbye out the back.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We had that as recently as the Penrith game. Foran to jmk to mbye.Now we have nothing...

Pay needs to just tell mbye to do the basics - sniff for offload, chime into a backline play and return the ball with significant interest. He is currently doing 1/3 but can easily become more well rounded by finishing off the other 2.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would also help if our forwards ran hard and aggressively at the defence and actually bust the line instead of tippy toeing to the defence and collapsing from exhaustion, its not just the backs but our forwards need to show some f'ing effort and then maybe the backs can create some attack. How about shut the f**k up and put in a 100% effort and we might start winning instead all we hear after a loss is how and what is going wrong, but as our coach reckons were on our way up.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
So the whole preseason we train with frawley and foran, and then pay drops frawley after one game

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We had that as recently as the Penrith game. Foran to jmk to mbye.Now we have nothing...

Pay needs to just tell mbye to do the basics - sniff for offload, chime into a backline play and return the ball with significant interest. He is currently doing 1/3 but can easily become more well rounded by finishing off the other 2.
It's because Pay is making Moses' job to complicated atm. He shouldn't be stuck doing our halves job so often, he's basically trying to play multiple roles and is getting caught out because of it.

Like you said, Moses should be sniffing for offloads and on the end of attacking plays, that should be his go. Pay needs to tell him that's what he's doing and make sure our halves are getting in the right positions so he can do that and not have to cover for them. The amount of kicking he is doing also needs to be cut, he's spending way too much time preparing for kicks these days.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Atleast our players are smarter off the field than what they are on it. Perhaps the strategy of “play what’s in front of you” can be stopped and Pay actually coach some set plays during training sessions that can be replicated on game day. When we have a scrum in the red zone won’t hurt to give some early ball to the backs rather than to a forward for a hit up.

What baffles me is a lack of game plan per game. Surely the coaching staff do video sessions, highlight some deficiencies in the opposition and execute the plan. All I’ve seen for years is the same old boring approach of one out - flat footy!!

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score

I keep saying it all the Fkn time! #RunWithFoz you fkers!!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we all just need to understand that we are bottom 5 team at the minute, and may be that way for a season or two.

Our squad is riddled with players being paid overs, slow outside backs (with few exceptions), and a forward pack with depth equivalent of the kiddies pool at the aquatic center.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest, not a lot has changed since the years of des ball..

Yes the attack is different and we trying new things attack is a little straighter an it’s more exciting to watch, but there is still far to many one outs an settlers. Dean just needs to throw anything an all game plans out the window an let the boys play a free running adlib game! More razzle dazzle an everyone find there own strengths to bring to the game.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It's because Pay is making Moses' job to complicated atm. He shouldn't be stuck doing our halves job so often, he's basically trying to play multiple roles and is getting caught out because of it.

Like you said, Moses should be sniffing for offloads and on the end of attacking plays, that should be his go. Pay needs to tell him that's what he's doing and make sure our halves are getting in the right positions so he can do that and not have to cover for them. The amount of kicking he is doing also needs to be cut, he's spending way too much time preparing for kicks these days.
100%

Our fullback shouldn’t be positioning himself for kicking duties, he should be positioning for support play and chasing kicks.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I feel for Woods, I really do. He came here because he expected us to be better than the Tigers and the absolute opposite has happened.
Happens all the time. I can't imagine Nigel Vagana and Travis Norton felt all that good after leaving in 2003 and seeing us do the victory lap in 2004.

JMac15

Waterboy
Reaction score
100%

Our fullback shouldn’t be positioning himself for kicking duties, he should be positioning for support play and chasing kicks.
Totally agree but he's the best kicking option we have on the last and I can't blame him for thay. Foran would set up the play like that.

Hopefully cogger can make some sort of difference next year.

It's gonna take a while to sort this out, I hate to say it but we don't look competitive this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.