Will Paulo be next ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read in a couple of different threads (from different people) that we were chasing Mahoney AND Paulo. Does anyone have any inside goss on Paulo ?

I wonder if we need to sell Cotric and / or Thompson or others to pay for who we've already bought or if we only need to sell them to buy others. I'd really like to keep Cotric as he makes us really strong on both sides of the field in the backs. He's strong and fast - a tackle busting machine. I remember him running down Burton from behind in a game last year.

Thompson I'd like to keep also but it would be easier to cope without him and if we could get Paulo for him it would be an upgrade. Paulo has ball skills. They say he's a half-back in a prop's body. We won't be getting any ball playing from Asiata remember.

If we had a pack including 3 strong giants Paulo, TPJ and Kikau (and Mahoney) we'd have a huge advantage over all other packs / teams. It would be a pack to match our 2004 side.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
A starting front row of Paulo / Thompson and Mahoney at hooker would be epic. Bench of Vaughan, TPJ or Jackson and Patalo

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we didn’t sign Kikau.. I would say yes but Parra will be desperate to hold onto him and Dolphins will make a competitive offer. I do want to see how Vaughan would go.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't see it happening, surely he'd be waiting for his big pay day.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have plenty of go forward, wont happen, things are getting tight according to the media.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My guess would be that we'll be looking to poach some gun junior half now unless someone like BBO is looking promising through the pre season. I honestly think that a hooker that can time a pass to perfection is the ingredient that can turn a good forward into a beast and Mahoney should provide that in 23. So hopefully we're not in dire need of more big name signings in the forwards. Would love to see us getting back to where we can sign guys that are good where they are and take them that step further into the rep arena.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not needed tbh, and i would rather we keep cotric than try and sign someone else unless its a decent 7.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Paulo should be a fins signing, also wouldn't be surprised if Thompson was a target for them also.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
dolphins have offered him $850k per year on a 3 year deal. there's no chance we can match that and i'm sure parra will offer him $30, a can of coke and a Mrs Macs pepper steak pie per game. So he'll probably be a dolphin. i dont really think we even need him, as others have said on this thread, we'd be better off re signing vaughan (provided he has a good year) for less coin. I just really hope that Parra don't keep him, i'm really enjoying seeing them turn to shit! i cant wait for the preseason media articles rating each club's recruitment/retention and seeing us get the A+ and the eels get an F :tearsofjoy:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Surely our cap is done, even for 23 when you consider we've already bought Kikau and Mahoney. Maybe a few small signings.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely our cap is done, even for 23 when you consider we've already bought Kikau and Mahoney. Maybe a few small signings.
2023 can't be "done" as we have 10 spots to fill if Hetherington's Mutual Option is not exercised. Contracts are up for Doorey, Dufty, RFM, Katoa, JMK, Stimson, Topine, Vaughan and Wakeham. They all have to either be re-signed or be re-placed.

The average NRL player contract is ~3 years, which means ~10 players off contract every year, and guess what? We have 10 players off contract for 2023, which puts us exactly on the average. No one should at all be surprised that that would happen with Gould in charge.

Also we only have 4 players signed for 2024 plus Burton on a Players Option, so we have 25 spots to fill the year after. We can then fill ~15 spots in the next 12 months and then have ~10 spots free to negotiate on 1st November 2022.

Looks to me like farkin perfect Cap management, which is what we should expect and demand from the quality of Football staff we have in place.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited: