Will Hopoate World Cup Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone 'pay' close attention to Wills World Cup games? I missed the Tonga matches and I would appreciate your observations........

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing to get excited about. If you were to ask about fusitua different story

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he played just the same as usual safe on defence and under the high ball but with the ball in hand didnt add anything

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
his support play was good but i think that was just due to weaker opposition then usual as a whole pretty much played the same way he does every week

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Nothing to get excited about. If you were to ask about fusitua different story
Worst part is I remember years ago saying go for him. Literally back when he was barely known and had 1 or 2 games and was looking leaving.

Fuck I’d love to have him in blue and white

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I actually think he is a fair ball playing 1.
3rd best fullback at world cup behind slater and widdop

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hoppa played like does at the Dogs.. hes solid , safe.& reliable

But we need more from a fullback.. he lacks the xfactor needed in attack that can send our attack to a new level

Hes a good backup fullback if we get an injury, but im really looking forward to seeing how Mbye goes

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Played ok soft missed tackle in the last game

Reactions: DT

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just cant get excited about anything he does...
To me he is ‘just there’ and sometimes does ‘ok’ things but he is a boring player to me...
I respect that he appears to go in hard sometimes but overall he is one that we should trade for someone else

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worst part is I remember years ago saying go for him. Literally back when he was barely known and had 1 or 2 games and was looking leaving.

Fuck I’d love to have him in blue and white
I'm pretty sure he had a serious injury in his second season and that pretty much put him out of sight. If he had been playing I'm sure many clubs including us would have considered signing him. Not sure how much Fusitua is on but would be an upgrade on Hoppa at fullback, wing or centre.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just cant get excited about anything he does...
To me he is ‘just there’ and sometimes does ‘ok’ things but he is a boring player to me...
I respect that he appears to go in hard sometimes but overall he is one that we should trade for someone else
I agree,he’s certainly not dynamic enough for fb but i think he will be a good centre

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
All i can see is desball in him stats looking good or maybe i have a des hangover %%

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he had a serious injury in his second season and that pretty much put him out of sight. If he had been playing I'm sure many clubs including us would have considered signing him. Not sure how much Fusitua is on but would be an upgrade on Hoppa at fullback, wing or centre.
I’m talking before then man. Think back they had like manu, Locke, ropati, fish, Nielsen, Luampe, lolohea etc was a joke of competition.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m talking before then man. Think back they had like manu, Locke, ropati, fish, Nielsen, Luampe, lolohea etc was a joke of competition.
What's crazy is if you compare the players we had at the same time. Jacob Loko, Mitch Brown, Drury Lowe, Corey Thompson, Chase Stanley, Krisnan Inu & Sam Perett. Why weren't you working for our recruitment team back then? That list isn't scaring anyone

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
How long did we renew his contract for?
I think he had a quiet world cup, the Dogs will be looking for more from him.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I really don't get the negativity around Hoppa. I agree he struggled in 2016 but he didn't train in the position and got tossed in there. This is his first full year as a FB with an off season to prepare and he was playing under Des. He showed in the last few games that he can play FB to a high level and while I haven't watched all his WC games the ones I saw were more than acceptable. Is he Billy Slater? No - but no-one is. He has a good pass, he links well with the backs, his defence is better than most FB's and he runs with purpose. He's better than Coote and most of the others and with hopefully better attacking structures next year I think he will be one of our best assets. If you don't have halves controlling things then your FB is not worth 2 bob. Now we have Foran and whoever along with Pay hopefully pushing them to be expansive Hoppa will do really well. I'd rather him than that plonker Dugan any day.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't get the negativity around Hoppa. I agree he struggled in 2016 but he didn't train in the position and got tossed in there. This is his first full year as a FB with an off season to prepare and he was playing under Des. He showed in the last few games that he can play FB to a high level and while I haven't watched all his WC games the ones I saw were more than acceptable. Is he Billy Slater? No - but no-one is. He has a good pass, he links well with the backs, his defence is better than most FB's and he runs with purpose. He's better than Coote and most of the others and with hopefully better attacking structures next year I think he will be one of our best assets. If you don't have halves controlling things then your FB is not worth 2 bob. Now we have Foran and whoever along with Pay hopefully pushing them to be expansive Hoppa will do really well. I'd rather him than that plonker Dugan any day.
How does Dugan keep making rep teams? Hoppa is ok but just not flashy. I think he is a solid fb but better suited to wing or centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.