Not open for further replies.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Our weakest backline player is holland. He isn't a damaging runner, he isn't fast. He is just a solid finisher. He is like a poor mans elmasri. Also his kicking isn't the best. But I doubt Hasler will be dropping him any time soon.

I will admit lee has been probably our most damaging ball runner and he has made holland look a million bucks with his off loads and line break assists.

I guess we could put hoppa on the wing but when our other winger is on big bucks and his bucks will only go up higher next year I don't know if we can have another big money winger. Montoya and lee create balance because they are cheapies. Not sure how our cap will look after upgrading Hoppa and moving him to the wing and trying to find another fullback.

I am a fan of hoppa. He just isn't a top line fullback. Great football mind. Good kick on him, good position play and powerful runner. Just lacks acceleration of the top fullbacks in the comp and that will cost you in attack and defence.
Hopoate is fine at fb. His sundays thing was his main problem. Im happy for him to play fb. You all might have to too, we dont have a salary sombrero to buy a fb with.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if sitting out the games cause of his injury has made him rethink his stance - he has already missed a lot of footy

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
You know when man made rules or interpretations of what an omnipresent God wants is pushed on people, it all gets messed up. My point is, what is work? Is it giving value for a return in value? What makes Sunday the day to rest? Perhaps it needs to be some day that you stop and just be without the distraction of giving and receiving, right? In other words, reserve a day where you give to God your attention and receive insights on how to be better, in return. Notice that it seems logical that in our everyday rate race, we should have a structured quality pause to contemplate and reflect a different, better way to be?

So now we have Hoppa being paid to receive $$ to give the Dogs his talent in return. Sunday was a guide of taking a day off, but he has other days he can practice that principled pause and connecting to his God.

I think he has awoken to the principles of his faith and loosened up on the rules that have lost sight of the true meaning of those principles. This is very promising for him to be his own man and not let any man made religion dictate his choices, but still hold true the essence of the faith to be good in character and to acknowledge the source of creation and his existence.

Hats off to him for growing as a person and the Bulldogs get to benefit! :grinning:

Reaction score
You know when man made rules or interpretations of what an omnipresent God wants is pushed on people, it all gets messed up. My point is, what is work? Is it giving value for a return in value? What makes Sunday the day to rest? Perhaps it needs to be some day that you stop and just be without the distraction of giving and receiving, right? In other words, reserve a day where you give to God your attention and receive insights on how to be better, in return. Notice that it seems logical that in our everyday rate race, we should have a structured quality pause to contemplate and reflect a different, better way to be?

So now we have Hoppa being paid to receive $$ to give the Dogs his talent in return. Sunday was a guide of taking a day off, but he has other days he can practice that principled pause and connecting to his God.

I think he has awoken to the principles of his faith and loosened up on the rules that have lost sight of the true meaning of those principles. This is very promising for him to be his own man and not let any man made religion dictate his choices, but still hold true the essence of the faith to be good in character and to acknowledge the source of creation and his existence.

Hats off to him for growing as a person and the Bulldogs get to benefit! :grinning:
yeah it's funny how man made rules and interpretations get in the way of best intentions.
you could argue that he would be doing more service to his religion by playing on sundays because he would not only be helping and supporting his team mates, but also providing recreation to the thousands of people watching the game,
if religion is about helping others, then surely playing on sunday helps many people vs the single benefit to himself of not playing

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
yeah it's funny how man made rules and interpretations get in the way of best intentions.
you could argue that he would be doing more service to his religion by playing on sundays because he would not only be helping and supporting his team mates, but also providing recreation to the thousands of people watching the game,
if religion is about helping others, then surely playing on sunday helps many people vs the single benefit to himself of not playing
it shows it is all about intentions, perspective and personal honesty for our motivations. Surely that is infinitely more important than any man made rule, no matter how much it claims to hold divine governance over you.

Last edited:

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the problem with the Kennel.

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Something happens and every **** wants to be Stephen King and pen a novel about it.

Next thing you know theres 8 threads on the same thing, often with lazy misinformed or ignorant information attached.
Welcome to the world wide web and its infamous comment section.

~c.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
About time he put the club first over his inflated ego. Still wouldn't resign him. Would prefer him to play in the centres and have abbey run at fullback.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My faith is important to me unless I want a contract upgrade and extension.

What a load of shit and another example of how many at the club are only looking out for themselves.
Yeah
I said it when hoppa first came out with the no sunday bullshit

Soon as he said he hadn't decided about grand finals
All respect was lost

He thinks he can just cherry pick what he does

And his form is rubbish most of the time

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned Hoppa's decision to play on Sundays is a personal thing and the hows and whys he made it are his business, not mine.

Having said that we've got a permanent fullback who is good at the job. What I'd like to see now is:
1 Hoppa
2 B Moz
3 J Moz
4 Lee
5 Montoya
6 Mbye (Reynolds when fit)
7 Frawley

I'm going for Montoya over Holland as he is a bit bigger, and very good under the high ball.
We haven't got a kicker who is an 80% plus version Mbye can hit and miss as good as Holland. When Reynolds comes back Mbye should go to hooker.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
People whinge when he says he doesn't wanna play Sundays now you whinge when he says he will. Obviously there is no money for another fullback. Time for people to move on from that idea
I think as a pro athlete in a sport that plays its most important game of the season on a Sunday he was an untenable option at fullback, but now he's committed to Sundays I'm happy. He's a good player. My issue was always the Sunday thing...

I think he clearly has integrity but pragmatically he had to make this decision for the sake of his footy future. I don't think Will bring a bit pragmatic about things detracts from his integrity at all. In fact I think it's a good show if respect for the game and his teammates.

Without being religious I can still understand where he was coming from...but I just don't think clubs are going to want him long term under those conditions and I think at the end of the day it was a pragmatic decision and a pretty good one.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People whinge when he says he doesn't wanna play Sundays now you whinge when he says he will. Obviously there is no money for another fullback. Time for people to move on from that idea
welcome to TK

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why is it that he was the only Mormon in the NRL not to play Sundays.

Ben Hannant used to play & he is very religious.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why is it that he was the only Mormon in the NRL not to play Sundays.

Ben Hannant used to play & he is very religious.
Yea but, he was fat and lazy, Hoppa's an athlete :-)

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
About time he put the club first over his inflated ego. Still wouldn't resign him. Would prefer him to play in the centres and have abbey run at fullback.
What makes you think he has an inflated ego lol...

Abbey was given a go and showed he is not quite there yet.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Abbey isn't playing fullback for us anytime soon and Brenko sure as shit isn't getting pushed out of centre while he's currently one of the best offensive centres in the game. If Hoppa stays he will play fullback.
Abbey killed it on the weekend in NSW Cup, and WILL get better.

He's very much a work in progress, but all the signs of a top flight fullback are there (albeit unpolished/unperfected).

I'd give him a year or two and he'll be ready to tear first grade a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.