Will Hopoate praying for new no-Sundays deal with Canterbury Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
lolllll. You're terrible at trying to turn shit on someone else absolutely terrible.
What makes this actually hilarious isn't my supposed lack of logic it's the FACT that you think you're actually smart and witty. But all you are is a typical pc poof that's offended by anything that doesn't go with your agenda and become intolerant to these different opinions to your agenda. Which ultimately makes you one big mutha fking hypocrite.

Chin up bro I get it people that are denomination of Christianity should outright be classed as lunatics especially a guy wanting a day off during the week whilst taking a pay cut, but a female black Muslim reporter who disrespects Anzac Day is a victim.
Notice how flawed your logic Isis.

That Isis at the end was a typo was meant to be is* but I'm gonna leave it here for ya.
Your guys handle is so similar it's funny when you both engage in verbal sparring

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
IDCCCCC 200K max no more!

Move on, let's discuss something else zzzzz

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Occasional good game? When was the last time he didn't play well? Certainly wasn't this year. He got a few MOM's last year so someone seems to think he goes OK. Given he didn't even train in or for the position last year he did a good job for us at FB last year. It would be sad to think that just because he was left stranded out the back last year by poor defence in front of him that people blame him for it. Slater/Boyd/Inglis/ Teddy all miss more tackles and they are the superstars.
Hoppa falls under the same category as Tolman... Just because they aren't flashy some consider them to be worthless.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is worth offering Hoppa minimum wage for guaranteed no Sunday games clause.

If nobody else is willing to offer him the no Sunday deal then we will get a pretty damn good top 30 squad member for diddly squat.

Or he will just sign a more lucrative deal and forget all about his sabbath when it is convenient.

Endeavour

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
He surely must only sign a contract that allows him to have Sundays off. Otherwise he has made a mockery of his own beliefs. I doubt very much he has had a little chat with God who said "it's ok Will...You can't play Sundays for 2016 and 2017 but its cool for 2018 and beyond"

If you can't commit fully to a professional footbal team then you aren't really part of the team. I agree he can play really well but I would rather pay more for an actual fullback who plays every game they are fit and realises a first grade spot is something to cherish and something worth fighting for.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He surely must only sign a contract that allows him to have Sundays off. Otherwise he has made a mockery of his own beliefs. I doubt very much he has had a little chat with God who said "it's ok Will...You can't play Sundays for 2016 and 2017 but its cool for 2018 and beyond"

If you can't commit fully to a professional footbal team then you aren't really part of the team. I agree he can play really well but I would rather pay more for an actual fullback who plays every game they are fit and realises a first grade spot is something to cherish and something worth fighting for.
That is my point exactly. I can't see another team entertain the thought of giving him Sunday's off so make a point of giving him the freedom to keep his religious beliefs going and offer him minimum wage to do so.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Fairly simple isn't it?

It's already a privileged profession and he gets paid a well above average wage for it. I'm sure there are other people who have religious beliefs, similar to this, earn around the average wage but have to work on their special days to make sure there's income for their household.

There's no plus points for Hoppa's stance what-so-ever, if he doesn't like a profession which has weekends as it's "must" days, then it's quite plain and simple, go find another profession.

As it stands, he's making everyone, club, fans, players accommodate him and only him. Selfish.
In saying that the club is also responsible for letting it happen in the first place and now if they say he can't have the "no Sunday" clause in his contract they make themselves look like hypocrites.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In saying that the club is also responsible for letting it happen in the first place and now if they say he can't have the "no Sunday" clause in his contract they make themselves look like hypocrites.
Good point

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Occasional good game? When was the last time he didn't play well? Certainly wasn't this year. He got a few MOM's last year so someone seems to think he goes OK. Given he didn't even train in or for the position last year he did a good job for us at FB last year. It would be sad to think that just because he was left stranded out the back last year by poor defence in front of him that people blame him for it. Slater/Boyd/Inglis/ Teddy all miss more tackles and they are the superstars.
Okay...how about I ask this, name me lets say 5 fullbacks that Hopoate has been better than...I'm dead set struggling to name more than 2. He's not awful, and I'd take him so long as he wasn't overpriced, but lets be frank here, which fullback is/has Hopoate been better than beside the Titans who don't have a fullback? Hopoate is solid on a good day, and very average every other day. He just isn't a natural fullback.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa falls under the same category as Tolman... Just because they aren't flashy some consider them to be worthless.
Tolman at least plays every game, I may not love the player but at least he's not sitting in the stands for a month each year!

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets go through the teams...

Brisbane- Boyd is miles better
Bulldogs-
Canberra- Whighton is a lot better
Cronulla- 2 fullbacks that are better, Holmes especially.
GC- yes Hopoate is better
Manly- Turbo is a lot better
Melbourne- Slater is there
Newcastle- yes he's better
NZ- RTS is on their books.
NQ- Ponga is there.
Parramatta- maybe, Gutherson is there though.
Penrith- Moylan is a SOO fullback/ five-eighth.
Souths- Inglis.
St George- Josh Dugan is there.
Roosters- Michael Gordon adds more through his goal kicking at least.
West Tigers- Tedesco is a mile better.

So out of all the teams we have GC and Newcastle and MAYBE Parramatta at a stretch......

You still recon he's that good? Solid sure, but good is pushing it. Personally I'd prefer a fullback that is better than 3 out of 16 teams.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
So you think he is worth less than Lichaa, Abbey and Tolman? the bloke is an origin player and a top class footballer. You get him for $250k and you will have saved the club about $500k. It's time to be a bit fair dinkum about this. He'll play Sundays during the semis and he'll blitz the rest of the season. If we haven't already signed a better fullback then we would be mad to let him go.
I agree with you essentially, but you are making a big assumption to say he will play semi final footy on Sundays. No one knows this for sure.

If (and it's a big IF), he says yes to semi finals and GF on Sundays then sign him. However, without this clause in his contract I would be offering him to whoever wants him.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
So you think he is worth less than Lichaa, Abbey and Tolman? the bloke is an origin player and a top class footballer. You get him for $250k and you will have saved the club about $500k. It's time to be a bit fair dinkum about this. He'll play Sundays during the semis and he'll blitz the rest of the season. If we haven't already signed a better fullback then we would be mad to let him go.
Hopoate has played 5 origin games, and from memory he was on the wing and played pretty capably, although around that time when he truly was performing towards the top in his position, he chose to go on his religious hiatus.

Since he's come back he's had some very solid games for us, he's had some average games, but I think most people agree he hasn't been a super star and hasn't pushed himself anywhere near origin contention.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Lets go through the teams...

Brisbane- Boyd is miles better
Bulldogs-
Canberra- Whighton is a lot better
Cronulla- 2 fullbacks that are better, Holmes especially.
GC- yes Hopoate is better
Manly- Turbo is a lot better
Melbourne- Slater is there
Newcastle- yes he's better
NZ- RTS is on their books.
NQ- Ponga is there.
Parramatta- maybe, Gutherson is there though.
Penrith- Moylan is a SOO fullback/ five-eighth.
Souths- Inglis.
St George- Josh Dugan is there.
Roosters- Michael Gordon adds more through his goal kicking at least.
West Tigers- Tedesco is a mile better.

So out of all the teams we have GC and Newcastle and MAYBE Parramatta at a stretch......

You still recon he's that good? Solid sure, but good is pushing it. Personally I'd prefer a fullback that is better than 3 out of 16 teams.
That's your view. Mine is that he is better than Wighton, Elliott, Ponga, Gutherson, Moylan, Dugan, Inglis, Johnstone and Gordon. Moylan is doing absolutely nothing this year. All of that on the back of only 1 pre-season preparing himself for the position. And don't forget he has more SOO's than Moylan. Turbo has great potential but still makes a lot of mistakes and is going to be a winger. So realistically Teddy, Boyd, Slater and RTS are ahead of him - that's it.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
That is my point exactly. I can't see another team being stupid enough to entertain the thought of giving him Sunday's off so this is a great chance to enhance this club's own recent reputation for stupidity by giving him the freedom to keep his religious beliefs going

Fixed. :p

A part time player in our top squad is less than useless. Commit to professionalism or piss off Hoppa.

Reactions: DT

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That's your view. Mine is that he is better than Wighton, Elliott, Ponga, Gutherson, Moylan, Dugan, Inglis, Johnstone and Gordon. Moylan is doing absolutely nothing this year. All of that on the back of only 1 pre-season preparing himself for the position. And don't forget he has more SOO's than Moylan. Turbo has great potential but still makes a lot of mistakes and is going to be a winger. So realistically Teddy, Boyd, Slater and RTS are ahead of him - that's it.
Tom is going to be a winger? What. The. Fuck. Hahahaha.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hoppa has not said he can not play on Sundays only that if Club allows him to not play Sundays it is worth a lot to him. His church has come out and said that he can play on Sundays.....

I think you are missing the point. The club could have said no to the Sundays Off, and then he would have only agreed on a competitive contract. If the dogs could afford lets say 200K but another club offered him 500K its pretty obvious he would have gone for the 500K.

Also lets say no club offers him a contract with Sundays off, consider it too much of a risk. Also worried about the fan back lash considering what happened at the Dogs... Does Hoppa just retire. No .

Lets say your wife or child has a medical problem, you take a job somewhere that the pay isn't great but it gives you the flexibility that makes your life much easier to manage with all your responsibilities. Lets say the company can no longer offer that flexibility, do you quit your job and not have another one simply so you can be there for your family, and have no money for medical bills?

Or do you do what you need to do for that job, but maybe you pay someone to help you to make you feel a little less stressed and help out around the home. Paying someone to do that is costly and you feel you should be compensated so either your job needs to pay you more for that loss of flexibility or you'll look for a job that gives you more or that flexibility back.

The amount of that compensation all depends on how much it is worth to the individual. if Hoppa was playing for the reported ~150K he probably values it quite a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.