News Will Hopoate opens up on family impact of father's infamous 'poke'

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will Hopoate has revealed the infamous poke that tarnished his father John's NRL career was supposed to be a joke among teammates.

Hopoate Snr is one of the most divisive figures in Australian rugby league history having been suspended for a record 45 weeks over 13 seasons in the top grade.

The most notorious moment of his career came while playing for the Wests Tigers in 2001 when he banned for 12 weeks after inserting his fingers into the backside of three opposition players from North Queensland.

It was thought to be nothing more than a moment of madness and designed to put his rivals off their game.
However Will lifted the lid on one of the game's most controversial moments, saying it was supposed to be a practical joke for the benefit of his father's Tigers teammates.

"His old teammates have since told me the whole thing was supposed to be a prank to watch in team video sessions," Will wrote on Players' Voice.

"It ended up costing him his personal brand for life, pretty much."

Will detailed the toll the incident wrought on his family and how he and his siblings became prisoners in their own home after media camped outside in the aftermath.

John's career finally came to an end in 2005 when he was suspended for 17 games for a flying elbow on Keith Galloway.

The infamous John Hopoate incident.
He this year copped a 10-year NSWRL ban for his part in a fight in a park football game which he said was incited by a racial taunt.

Despite his father's obvious failings, Will said he had instilled in him his best qualities including resilience, respect and his Mormon faith.

"People driving by would stick their fingers up and dad, having a short temper, would chase them," he said.

"Kids at school and opposing sporting teams would 'poke' fun at me. My family was all over TV and the back and front pages of the newspaper.

"It wasn't a great period.

"Dad was being portrayed like he was a murderer, which confused the heck out of me, because that was nothing like the man I saw at home day in, day out."

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Bullshit Will .. sticking you fingers up a blokes anus is not "a prank joke amongst team mates". Honestly I thought he was smarter than this.

Maybe I can sell him a unicorn or a money tree.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Will is probably more intelligent than his dad. And it would not surprise me if his teammates had a hand (excuse the pun) in convincing him to give some prostate exams. It only happened during one match if memory serves me right. Either way it was a shit idea whoever came up with it.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's telling us his dad was a harmless thug.. A larriken and was unfairly treated by the public.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's telling us his dad was a harmless thug.. A larriken and was unfairly treated by the public.
Did you miss the road rage part ? Harmless no .. he almost killed someone when he was a bouncer..

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No doubt he loves and respects his father. But you sometimes need to take off the rose coloured glasses and see someone for what they are.

There are so many incidents you could write a book about them, it wasn't a one off.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thankfully will seems to have bone of tthese bad qualities. I can barely recall him giving away penalties.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just saw the rest of this article on the foxsports app and apparently john was wearing a latex glove and doing the same thing in the legends of league tournament this weekend.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I remember seeing it when watching that game and from memory Hoppa was completely off the rails by that stage. 45 weeks suspended over 13 seasons....pretty much 2 seasons worth. Was a great player earlier on and could have been so much more, I guess his temper ended up ruling and ruining his life. I'm glad Hoppa Jnr has only good memories of his Dad BUT there is no excuse for bringing that sort of heat onto your innocent kids!

In conclusion, typical Manly f-wit!

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why are we talking about this 17 years later lol. Did the nrl not probe deep enough into the ass poking fiasco ???

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Will Hopoate has revealed the infamous poke that tarnished his father John's NRL career was supposed to be a joke among teammates.

Hopoate Snr is one of the most divisive figures in Australian rugby league history having been suspended for a record 45 weeks over 13 seasons in the top grade.

The most notorious moment of his career came while playing for the Wests Tigers in 2001 when he banned for 12 weeks after inserting his fingers into the backside of three opposition players from North Queensland.

It was thought to be nothing more than a moment of madness and designed to put his rivals off their game.
However Will lifted the lid on one of the game's most controversial moments, saying it was supposed to be a practical joke for the benefit of his father's Tigers teammates.

"His old teammates have since told me the whole thing was supposed to be a prank to watch in team video sessions," Will wrote on Players' Voice.

"It ended up costing him his personal brand for life, pretty much."

Will detailed the toll the incident wrought on his family and how he and his siblings became prisoners in their own home after media camped outside in the aftermath.

John's career finally came to an end in 2005 when he was suspended for 17 games for a flying elbow on Keith Galloway.

The infamous John Hopoate incident.
He this year copped a 10-year NSWRL ban for his part in a fight in a park football game which he said was incited by a racial taunt.

Despite his father's obvious failings, Will said he had instilled in him his best qualities including resilience, respect and his Mormon faith.

"People driving by would stick their fingers up and dad, having a short temper, would chase them," he said.

"Kids at school and opposing sporting teams would 'poke' fun at me. My family was all over TV and the back and front pages of the newspaper.

"It wasn't a great period.

"Dad was being portrayed like he was a murderer, which confused the heck out of me, because that was nothing like the man I saw at home day in, day out."
Such a funny joke. NOT.

Will you are making excuses for your father & trying to be the victim. (Was a prisoner in our own home)

If a male did that to a female, they would be charged with sexual assault.

But because it was a footballer, doing that to another footballer, no charges.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just saw the rest of this article on the foxsports app and apparently john was wearing a latex glove and doing the same thing in the legends of league tournament this weekend.
Tossfield is up in arms of the (clear joke) of using the rubber glove and re-enacting it.

He's going on and on and on about it on Twitter... and people are hammering him.

In all honesty if I wasn't blocked by him I'd have posted the lingerie waitress picture AGAIN and told Phil he should have handled that with rubber gloves as well.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bullshit story hoppa was taking the piss out of himself get a life tossfield

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would have funnier if it was performed under the music of say a Neil Diamond. Sweet Caroline indeeeeed!