Will Hopoate could rethink Sunday sabbaticals after injury lay-off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Will Hopoate's extended break with a facial fracture could be the tipping point that convinces the Canterbury fullback to relax his stance on playing on Sundays as the Bulldogs prepare to hand a first-grade debut to "future superstar" Brad Abbey amid a backline injury crisis.

Hopoate is likely to be sidelined for at least a month of football after being taken to hospital with a fractured eye socket and concussion after a head clash with Sydney Roosters forward Zane Tetevano at Allianz Stadium last Thursday.

The 24-year-old then stands to miss more action in quick succession with Canterbury scheduled for Sunday games in rounds eight, 11 and 13 as well as in round 18.

The devoted Mormon is yet to tell the club whether he will again sit out on Sundays for religious reasons but there is a suspicion that he may be convinced to relax his position.

Off contract at the end of the season, Hopoate certainly stands to be in a better bargaining position should he change his mind. The former State of Origin three-quarter is on a contract of only $150,000 this season, a salary that takes into account his refusal to play on Sundays, but that figure would lift considerably if he were available for every round. Hopoate donates money from his football career earnings and there is an argument that providing that financial support would be less taxing if he were to be paid his market value.

"It's totally his choice," Canterbury front-rower David Klemmer said on Sunday.

"I don't know what he's doing there. It's his own beliefs and I back him. Even if he does miss a couple of games, which he might because of his injury, we've got plenty of depth."

That depth is being tested further by a shoulder injury suffered by Kerrod Holland against the Roosters but in Abbey, a former New Zealand Warriors rising star, and Fiji international Marcelo Montoya the Bulldogs believe they can more than adequately cover for the absences in their backline. If Abbey makes his NRL debut in round three he would do so against the club he left to join Canterbury, with Des Hasler's winless team flying to Dunedin on Wednesday for a "home" game against the Warriors.

There are big wraps on the 20-year-old Junior Kiwis rep. "Since he's come over he's really grown as a player," Klemmer said. "He came over a skinny, scrawny kid and he's put on some kilos now. He had a big year last year and this pre-season has really lifted him. If he does get his opportunity he'll be one of the future superstars of this game because he's a very skillful kid.

"That what makes him so unique. He can throw a nice cut-out ball and he's got a good kick on him as well. He's an all-round player."

Second-rower Adam Elliott, who scored his first NRL try against the Roosters, has seen plenty of both Abbey and Montoya as a teammate in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW and under-20s competitions respectively.

"He's going to maybe be a bit of an X-factor for us," Elliott said of Abbey.

"He's got a bit of a touchy footy background so he's real quick with his decision making.

"He's a very tough player, too. I was surprised a few tackles that he pulled off last year at the back. He had big fellas coming at him and he just flew out of the line and belted them too. There is not that much of him … he's a big, tall, lanky build … but he does put his body on the line a fair bit."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...cals-after-injury-layoff-20170312-guwdx7.html

Surely Abbey gets a run. It's either now or never....

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Will Hopoate's extended break with a facial fracture could be the tipping point that convinces the Canterbury fullback to relax his stance on playing on Sundays as the Bulldogs prepare to hand a first-grade debut to "future superstar" Brad Abbey amid a backline injury crisis.

Hopoate is likely to be sidelined for at least a month of football after being taken to hospital with a fractured eye socket and concussion after a head clash with Sydney Roosters forward Zane Tetevano at Allianz Stadium last Thursday.

The 24-year-old then stands to miss more action in quick succession with Canterbury scheduled for Sunday games in rounds eight, 11 and 13 as well as in round 18.

The devoted Mormon is yet to tell the club whether he will again sit out on Sundays for religious reasons but there is a suspicion that he may be convinced to relax his position.

Off contract at the end of the season, Hopoate certainly stands to be in a better bargaining position should he change his mind. The former State of Origin three-quarter is on a contract of only $150,000 this season, a salary that takes into account his refusal to play on Sundays, but that figure would lift considerably if he were available for every round. Hopoate donates money from his football career earnings and there is an argument that providing that financial support would be less taxing if he were to be paid his market value.

"It's totally his choice," Canterbury front-rower David Klemmer said on Sunday.

"I don't know what he's doing there. It's his own beliefs and I back him. Even if he does miss a couple of games, which he might because of his injury, we've got plenty of depth."

That depth is being tested further by a shoulder injury suffered by Kerrod Holland against the Roosters but in Abbey, a former New Zealand Warriors rising star, and Fiji international Marcelo Montoya the Bulldogs believe they can more than adequately cover for the absences in their backline. If Abbey makes his NRL debut in round three he would do so against the club he left to join Canterbury, with Des Hasler's winless team flying to Dunedin on Wednesday for a "home" game against the Warriors.

There are big wraps on the 20-year-old Junior Kiwis rep. "Since he's come over he's really grown as a player," Klemmer said. "He came over a skinny, scrawny kid and he's put on some kilos now. He had a big year last year and this pre-season has really lifted him. If he does get his opportunity he'll be one of the future superstars of this game because he's a very skillful kid.

"That what makes him so unique. He can throw a nice cut-out ball and he's got a good kick on him as well. He's an all-round player."

Second-rower Adam Elliott, who scored his first NRL try against the Roosters, has seen plenty of both Abbey and Montoya as a teammate in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW and under-20s competitions respectively.

"He's going to maybe be a bit of an X-factor for us," Elliott said of Abbey.

"He's got a bit of a touchy footy background so he's real quick with his decision making.

"He's a very tough player, too. I was surprised a few tackles that he pulled off last year at the back. He had big fellas coming at him and he just flew out of the line and belted them too. There is not that much of him … he's a big, tall, lanky build … but he does put his body on the line a fair bit."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...cals-after-injury-layoff-20170312-guwdx7.html

Surely Abbey gets a run. It's either now or never....
Hope Abbey gets a run, or Des will ruin it by shifting Bmoz to fb and put Philips at wing.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You would think it's his opportunity to get the call. Otherwise it was a wasted recruitment. Fair enough he is still a kid and it might not be his time (round 3). Maybe Hasler was thinking to blood him
In round 11 or 13 or when ever hoppa would sit out Games.

But you have to think we are a fullback down, we have no other capable fullback in the team (borris all but confirmed his body is t capable of playing fullback full time) he should theoretically be the next cab off the rank.

I haven't seen enough to pass judgment on abbey as a footballer. I honestly think he was overhyped but I will be happy to admit I was wrong if he kills it. And even as a goal kicker I wouldn't consider him
Much ahead of holland and mbye. But with hoppa out for up to a month I think it's the perfect time for Hasler to give a few pups a go. Montoya and abbey were both tipped from within the club to have an impact in first grade this year. So if there is injury and you turn to someone else then you have to wonder how far away from getting a start they are.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Sounds good! Give the boy a jersey, been awhile since we saw something special. Fingers crossed!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Abbey has to start in my opinion, and not on the wing. This kid is a fullback, let him be a fullback. Let morris be a winger. Let hoppa be a winger damn it.
If he doesnt get a run this weekend i feel as though he never will. If he struggles, so be it. Let him live and learn.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't really understand why Hoppa would change his stance now? What has changed between now and our finals loss to Penrith? The club is a bunch of soft cocks if they don't call him out on the hypocrisy of it all. We all know that most other clubs have balls and won't accomodate this request and he's off contract at seasons end. When Hoppa returns we start to play Sunday games and he must be smart enough to realise that Abbey might grab this opportunity and make the fullback spot his own. Then Hoppa will have to fight with the other backs for a spot in the team. Hard to fight for a place in the team when you're taking days off...

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Abbey has to start in my opinion, and not on the wing. This kid is a fullback, let him be a fullback. Let morris be a winger. Let hoppa be a winger damn it.
If he doesnt get a run this weekend i feel as though he never will. If he struggles, so be it. Let him live and learn.
Knowing hasler he probably won't name him at fullback until last minute! But I'm hoping he names him at fullback today! No mind games hasler, gives us something to look forward to for a few days!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Knowing hasler he probably won't name him at fullback until last minute! But I'm hoping he names him at fullback today! No mind games hasler, gives us something to look forward to for a few days!
He definitely deserves a run doesnt he? I mean why else did we buy him. I hope he has a big game against his old club too!!

N

Natboy

I don't really understand why Hoppa would change his stance now? What has changed between now and our finals loss to Penrith? The club is a bunch of soft cocks if they don't call him out on the hypocrisy of it all. We all know that most other clubs have balls and won't accomodate this request and he's off contract at seasons end. When Hoppa returns we start to play Sunday games and he must be smart enough to realise that Abbey might grab this opportunity and make the fullback spot his own. Then Hoppa will have to fight with the other backs for a spot in the team. Hard to fight for a place in the team when you're taking days off...
He knows he is due for a contract, he now has an injury letting a young gun get a foot in the door.
This just proves it's all about the money for him!!
It pisses me off. Haz still played and trained when he was fasting and even though it wasn't the smartest thing to do it showed he put the team first!

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He definitely deserves a run doesnt he? I mean why else did we buy him. I hope he has a big game against his old club too!!
Yeah, we will need to wait till an hour from kickoff to know what 1 to 17 look like. also don't expect the formation to be 1 to 13 either.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To all the atheists out there ..
God works in mysterious ways

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wouldnt be surprised if he retires to be honest. Do not think Rugby league is the best option for Hoppa.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wouldnt be surprised if he retires to be honest. Do not think Rugby league is the best option for Hoppa.
I agree , I think his faith might play a part in that decision

Status
Not open for further replies.