News Will Hopoate confirms recruit Nick Meaney is fighting for Dogs debut

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/68f9518d7250c9189328c9c06b4f97b5

Will Hopoate has spent the off-season training at centre, opening the door for Canterbury to play rising recruit Nick Meaney at fullback.

Hopoate says he has been blown away by Meaney this summer, particularly his blinding speed.

He believes the Ballina Seagulls junior who excelled at Newcastle last season is in contention to start 2019 in the No.1 jumper.

“Credit to Nick, he has been outstanding,” Hopoate told The Daily Telegraph.

“He has worked really hard this pre-season.
“I didn’t realise how fast he was until he came to the club.

“He has been in open space a few times at training and he just left everyone for dead.

“He is training the house down, so I can’t speak more highly of him.

“I’ve been training most of the pre-season in the centres.

“I enjoy it there. I’ve been training a bit at fullback as well, so I actually don’t know what Dean is going to do to be honest.
“There are options there, so I guess time will tell.”

Hopoate says the Bulldogs are perfectly placed with a cast of emerging players like Meaney, Lachlan Lewis and Reimis Smith.

“I think the future is defiantly bright,” he said.

“There are a number of young guys coming through who really want to make a name for themselves.

“They all have the ability to do that. If we can keep them all with a level head, I’m sure good things will happen for us.

“It’s exciting for the club.

“Last season was a tough year for the club but I think we have all put that behind us now and I think the boys are ready to rip in.”

Hmmm so training most of the preseason at centre…...

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t rate Meaney at all, hope it’s all bullshit from Hoppa

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t rate Meaney at all, hope it’s all bullshit from Hoppa
I believe it about the speed, and don't think hoppa would bullshit. But Maybe deano gave Meaney every opportunity to make the 1 his but maybe has fallen over at the last hurdle.

With Hoppas ability with the quick hands and tap ons I think he would be a real handful in the centres giving plenty of opportunities for his winger. But I guess time will tell.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Theres little doubt that Hopoate will be in the centres. The biggest problem is and always has been, his defence.
Everyone is excited about his quick hands. I am more worried about his tackling liabilities.
He played centre last season in a lot of games. He even had Montoya doing half of his tackling and was still a failure at centre.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon they are going to lineup in the same numbers as the trial game. 1. Meany, 4. Hoppa, 7. Lewis, 9. Lichaa, 14. JMK

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We're still rebuilding. This coming year was only ever about improving and hopefully having a crack at next year. Why not give the kid a go, and some time to develop

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're still rebuilding. This coming year was only ever about improving and hopefully having a crack at next year. Why not give the kid a go, and some time to develop
This year is not a development year. It’s a year to compete and put our best foot forward and best team forward at all costs. It’s not about developing players for next year. Pay and Jackson said it themselves. No rebuild here.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This year is not a development year. It’s a year to compete and put our best foot forward and best team forward at all costs. It’s not about developing players for next year. Pay and Jackson said it themselves. No rebuild here.
That's what they say, but as if were genuinely competing for anything. We're not contenders no where near yet. And I believe the majority of our squad are still developing players

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I see this 2 ways.
Firstly, Hopa is not going to bag or talk down his fellow players - coach would kick his arse and rightly so.
Secondly - Meaney needs to prove he can handle the no 1 position whilst hopa is already there. I am not a fan of Hoppa at centre. His defense was woefull unless he improved dramatically in the off season. The trial game doesn't give me much confidence though - both Hoppa as a centre or Meaney as a full back.

Interesting choice ahead

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope the Meaney experiment works. We need more speedsters.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meaney and Hoppa in the backline makes it stronger overall because we don’t have a centre without hoping Montoya works or throwing a rookie in the deep end. Yes, Hoppa has defensive troubles but he is still better then any other option we have at centre.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Play Meaney in the first game if he fks up then put Hoppa back there

After all it’s only the SJ less Warriors we talking about

I got us winning by 14

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Meaney was pretty sad in the games I watched him play for the knoughts.... no evasive ability, no ball playing skills and tackled like a turnstile

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting year coming up. I wish Meaney all the best and hope he can be a long term fullback for us, time will tell. Another trial would have been very handy to test things out further.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless CHN plays centre, which isn't gonna happen, we have no choice - Hoppa has to be centre. Harper isn't ready, Olive isn't good enough, Montoya needs to prove himself again in ISP, and moving Reimis would be just weakening a strength. Chris Smith is too risky so Hoppa it is, with Meaney at fullback.

I liked what I saw from Meaney for a young bloke in his first few games. Knights had a few experienced guys injured at the time so were lacking direction, but he went fine IMO.