Not open for further replies.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
[h=1]Hopoate getting cold feet about Eels[/h] Date
September 1, 2013

EXCLUSIVE
Dedicated: William Hopoate in his role as a Mormon. Photo: Harrison Saragossi

As Ricky Stuart weighs up whether to coach the besieged Eels or accept a lucrative contract tabled by his spiritual home, Canberra, his decision could determine if prized recruit William Hopoate plays at Parramatta next season.
Hopoate's manager, Tyran Smith, is closely monitoring the turmoil at the once-proud Eels. Another crack in the club's foundations occurred during the week when a group of football club members started a secret campaign to secure the 106 signatures required to force an extraordinary general meeting.
They intend to demand accountability from the board and management for the direction Parramatta has taken in the past few years.
William Hopoate plays for the Sea Eagles. Photo: Getty Images

Smith stressed that Hopoate was on course to head to Parramatta, but it could be assumed one likely interested party - if that changed - would be the Canterbury Bulldogs.
Advertisement
Apart from being coached by Des Hasler, who led Hopoate and Manly to the premiership title in 2011, the club made a lucrative but unsuccessful bid for dual international Israel Folau while troubled fullback Ben Barba was released to play for Brisbane.
There was widespread speculation on Saturday night that Parramatta could part ways with Stuart as early as Sunday although chairman Steve Sharp, when contacted by Fairfax Media, denied rumours of a late-night board meeting or suggestions that the coach was Raiders-bound. ''He has given us no indication he wants to leave and there's no reason for us to believe he won't be seeing out the final two years of his contract,'' Sharp said. Smith is sure Hopoate, who represented NSW at State of Origin level before spending two years as a Mormon missionary in south-east Queensland, would want to honour his deal.
However, he said his duty was to ensure the 21-year-old utility back would join a club that would allow for him to fulfil his potential.
''I'm watching what's going on at Parramatta very closely," said Smith, a former New Zealand international who now heads Sports Player Management.
"William is an extremely loyal person and while he wouldn't know much about what is happening at Parramatta [because his mission forbids him from watching television, listening to the radio or reading newspapers], he'd want to honour the deal. y opinion is if everything stays the same, William will definitely fulfil his commitments at Parramatta." When prompted, Smith conceded ''everything stays the same" means Stuart - one of the Raiders' favourite sons who played 203 games for the club and is considered the ideal man to replace recently sacked coach David Furner - remaining at the helm of Parramatta.
"If Ricky was to leave the club I would need to look at Parramatta and see whether going to the club would be in the best interest of my client," he said. "He has to be in an environment that will be good for him. If there is a lot of turmoil in a club it's hard for any team [to do well]. It also extends to people like [football manager] Peter Nolan because he was there from the start in regards to Will and the plan that we've had.
''Then there's Ciriaco Mescia, who has been flying to Queensland with me to train him. They're still part of the club and that's all a consideration … but the turmoil …, if it [worsens], things will need to be reassessed." Hopoate, who signed a two-year, $1.7 million deal with the Eels after Manly won the title two years ago, was identified by then coach Stephen Kearney as a player who would be a leader and set standards that would lift the club.
However, there are growing concerns about the potential problems of Hopoate playing for a club struggling to make any impact on the premiership except for being the NRL's soap opera. Smith said the fitness tests Parramatta had conducted on Hopoate during his sabbatical suggested he was already of first-grade standard.
"He will go into the off-season ahead of many of his teammates in that regard because he's so fresh," Smith said on Saturday.
"For any NRL club, a player of his status, his talent, for what he's already achieved and for his mental toughness and his high morals, he'd appeal to plenty of people."
Hopoate's fitness is described as excellent, but Smith wants to revisit the idea of allowing him to play a handful of rugby union matches in Japan to fine tune his co-ordination before the 2014 NRL season. "A hit of rugby in Japan would be a good thing for him," he said. "His speed and strength is good [but Japanese rugby] would allow for William to get his timing back ahead of schedule."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-about-eels-20130831-2sxg0.html#ixzz2dYWxVoYf

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'd welcome him anytime

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree, fingers cross Stuart goes to the Raiders so we can try to sign Wil

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pure speculation. Not a single quote from the club or the player. There's no story here, Obviously, if he becomes available, the dogs would be interested, as would 10 other clubs.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A stint in jap rugby for his fitness ay???...and not to mention a bit of sneaky cash before his nrl contract begins...

I don't know if we need him tbh I think Morris' switch to fb has brought the team alive. All the talk about josh wanting to play centre revolved around his dragons days where he was stuck on the wing from memory. Surely the 1 jersey is a promotion from the centres.

Great player no doubt but how many players will we lose to fit hopoate into our cap?

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pure speculation. Not a single quote from the club or the player. There's no story here, Obviously, if he becomes available, the dogs would be interested, as would 10 other clubs.
True, BUT think we would be in the box seat to sign him
1. He has respect for Hasler
2. Dogs better chance of winning a premiership
3. We are one of a few clubs left with money in 2014 to sign him
4. His dad is great mates with Des
5. We are a professional run club

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
True, BUT think we would be in the box seat to sign him
1. He has respect for Hasler
2. Dogs better chance of winning a premiership
3. We are one of a few clubs left with money in 2014 to sign him
4. His dad is great mates with Des
5. We are a professional run club
If he isn't asking for 800k after nearly two years without any professional game play then I'd go for him.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
leave josh as FB.

Josh is our GI.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I personally think we wont buy anyone and leave JMoz at FB, Lafai in fulltime

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haha. I thought the media had forgotten about Will Hopoate. I actually mentioned the possibility of him joining the Bulldogs in a thread somewhere this week. I might have a stalker in the media.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
1. Hayne
2. Hopoate
3. Lafai
4. Morris
5. Perrett

Tell me that isn't a backline you'd like to see at Bulldogs!!

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Souths have my permission to hand the lol baton to Pawwa, the biggest basket case in the NRL. And when there's Tigers and Sharks, that's saying something.

the way Hoppa's manager was talking he's a good chance of not going to Pawwa but how can he get out of the contract? I guess it's not hard these days.

The fact Inu is also Mormon would help secure his services for us.

Normally I wouldn't like to steal a player from under another club's nose but it's the tragic eels. They'd only have themselves to blame if they lost him.

After reading the latest Barba goss and then this article I was thinking what a dramatic soap opera the NRL has become and then read the line in this article. It really is laughable.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Hayne
2. Hopoate
3. Lafai
4. Morris
5. Perrett

Tell me that isn't a backline you'd like to see at Bulldogs!!
I would but no way we can afford both Hayne and hopoate

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
I'm not sure Hopa would go back on his word

Status
Not open for further replies.