News Wighton to trigger feeding frenzy as Raiders five-eighth tests open market

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Canberra Raiders face a fight to retain star five-eighth Jack Wighton amid confirmation the 30-year-old is going to the open market for the first time since joining the club.

Wighton, who is off-contract at the end of this season, has an option in his favour for 2024 and it was widely expected he would extend his stay in the nation’s capital.

But The Daily Telegraphreported on Tuesday afternoon that Wighton, who had until round 10 to trigger that automatic extension, will instead test his worth.

Raiders CEO David Furner told The Sydney Morning Heraldthat the team will “do everything” it can to extend Wighton, who has been at Canberra since making his NRL debut back in 2012.

“We would love to see Jack finish as a one-club player and that’s certainly our aim,” Furner said.

“We’re fully prepared for this situation and he certainly deserves the chance to look around.

“He’s been with us for 14 years and been loyal to our club, he’s never been shopped around, just always came back and signed up. This is possibly his last contract, he’s got a young family to think of and we fully support that.

“That said, we’ll do everything to keep him too.”

Jack Wighton has been a Raider since 2012. (Photo by Scott Gardiner/Getty Images)
Jack Wighton has been a Raider since 2012. (Photo by Scott Gardiner/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

Wighton would generate significant interest across the league, with the Tigers, Bulldogs, Dolphins, Sea Eagles and Dragons still dealing with question marks surrounding their current halves pairings.

The 30-year-old will be sidelined for the next fortnight for a high tackle on Jackson Hasting as the 16th-placed Raiders look to get their season back on track against defending premiers Penrith.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too much of a liability on and off the field.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Would be a good signing for the Sharks. Hynes/Wighton would be a great halves combo.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He wants more but what If a team like the Wests Tigers offered him Brooks's money of $1million, would he really go there and spend the rest of his playing career with a club that is struggling to get things right?

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this yesterday in another thread on here before Muppet Riccio broke the story.
-
Very interesting piece of information I got from down here in the ACT regarding your comment on Jack Wighton.

As Jack is now 30, he realises that his next contract is the most important one in his entire career & most likely his last big money deal.
Up until now he has never entertained the thought of leaving Canberra and heading to the big smoke with his 3 kids & soon to be wife.
But like all footballers the desire to win a premiership burns deep within, so to get the best deal & another shot at the title may not be in Canberra.
I do know as fact that he is looking at all his options as any player would, but I don't know with who.
To me, it wouldn't make sense considering us with the players we have just invested in.
He's not a 7 he is a left side 6 or 4. In fact his favorite position is left centre, but as we know that doesn't bring the big bucks home so he sells as a 6.
With all the klm's required at Fullback I think his days at 1 are also long gone.

With all this said, my Guess would be (and it's an absolute guess with no inside info) that he may end up in one of the following 3 teams who are currently in or entering a premiership window -

1st. Roosters (of course) - 2 trains of thought here
Do they piss Suaalii of early & play Jack at left centre, keeping Keary knowing they have a world class back up 6 if Keary has injury/concussion issues?
Do they Tap Keary & retire him or move him on so Jack takes the 6 jumper.
They are definitely a premiership contender for at least 3 to 4 years.... if not always.

2nd. Sharks - They have Moylan signed for 2024 & just recently re signed Trindall until the end of 2025 but could easily move Trindall on if they wanted.
Definitely a premiership contender for at least 3 to 4 years with Hynes firing and Jack has worked with Craig Fitzgibbon previously at Origin level.

3rd. Broncos - With Adam Reynolds contract ending after the 2024 season, they could easily park Jack at left centre with Herbie Farnworth leaving next year & play him at 6 in 2025 along side Ezra Mam in 7.
With Jacks partners family based in QLD, the move to Brissy might suit Jack more than a move to the crazy city of Sydney.

IMO, every other club in a current premiership window has a long term 6 in place and therefore won't offer the money that these 3 possibly would.

If it comes down to money & being settled here in town I think that he could stay in Canberra but I think they are a long way off winning the comp.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cameron Smith has stated that Wighton is versatile (obvious) but mentioned any team could chuck him at 13 and he would excel.

So my question is, would you have Wighton play 13 (taking his age out of the question).

Personally I think he should play left centre at club level now, but id definitely take him at lock as it would play right into Ciraldos style

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We already have an overpaid half, that can't play half . . . Don't hassler our cap and chase another

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Could he play lock for us ?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Will want too much money for possibly another 2-3 years left especially with where you want to play him (centre or lock as better options)