News Why young gun has Barrett’s backing

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is the Bankstown boy with rugby league’s X-factor.

Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett has revealed why he opted for young Jake Averillo at five-eighth for round one ahead of Lachlan Lewis and Brandon Wakeham.

Averillo, who played just two games at five-eighth last season, is ready to claim the number six jumper alongside recruit Kyle Flanagan for Friday night’s match against Newcastle at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Jake Averillo will start at five-eighth for the Bulldogs.

Jake Averillo will start at five-eighth for the Bulldogs.

Wakeham is still being considered for the five-eighth spot but Barrett spoke highly of Averillo and his “X-factor.”

Canterbury used five five eighths last season – Kieran Foran (14 games), Wakeham (two), Averillo (two), Lewis (one) with the departed Jack Cogger also playing one match.

Averillo, 20, who made his NRL debut last season, played 13 games in 2020, mostly at centre.

“Jake has to get through some more stuff but he looks good, he looks like he will be okay,” Barrett said.

“He played a bit of centre last year but is a natural footballer. He can play anywhere. He will be fine.

“He played some really good games at the back-end of last year for Canterbury, has had a really good off-season and deserves his spot.

“I think five-eighth is Jake’s natural position and he will give us something different. He’s got a bit of x-factor about him.

Brandon Wakeham is in the 21.

Brandon Wakeham is in the 21.

“Jake is a good addition to the team and he will get his chance.”

Wakeham has still claimed a spot in the 21-man squad announced on Tuesday afternoon.

“We still have to get through another big day (of training on Wednesday), that’s our main day,” Barrett said. “We will then a call.

“Brandon is there, he is still an option at six. He played six in the trial and had some good touches.”

Barrett wants his entire team to step up and for fans to refrain from throwing additional pressure on Flanagan.

“We’ve got to take some heat off Kyle,” Barrett said.

“I’m just looking for a real good team performance.

Trent Barrett is set to give Jake Averillo his big chance.

Trent Barrett is set to give Jake Averillo his big chance.

“It’s not one or two individuals. We are a young team and we all need to perform. That is from one to 17 and I’m confident they will.

“It’s not about one person in the team. That’s one thing with our mob. We all need to play our role and that’s what we will be doing.”

Bulldogs prop Dylan Napa is primed and pumped for another big season.

“I’m really happy with where I’m at,” Napa said.

“There has been a lot of change at Belmore and lot of turnover of staff. But they are exciting times and I’m happy to be part of it.”

Asked about Barrett, Napa said: “I can’t speak highly enough of him and the standards he wants to hold us to with what we’re trying to build here.

“I want to try and continue building on what I’ve done already and make some more memories. I approach each season the same way.”

Canterbury still hope Penrith’s Matt Burton may arrive at Belmore sometime this season but Barrett has now focused fully on the start of this season.

“We will head to Newcastle and see how we go,” Barrett said.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's going to be a big night for some of these kids. We need to show them some patience, unlike the past these are genuinely good players that need some time to settle in (not 50 games though).

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury used five five eighths last season – Kieran Foran (14 games), Wakeham (two), Averillo (two), Lewis (one) with the departed Jack Cogger also playing one match.
Imagine Foran played the full season?
14 + 2 +2 +2 + 1

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having Wakeham as a backup isn’t a bad option either. I thought he looked alright in the trial. They’re all young kids so hopefully they don’t rotate them too much and let them build into the season

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
In TRENT we must trust... he’s been doing a good job ever since stepping in, his knowledge at Penrith had them pumping, so let’s just wait an see.. and it’s almost time.. 4 more days PEOPLE..!!!

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The key is we all need to chill TF out and not mount unrealistic expectations on this team, Trent wasn't wrong when he said it's a young inexperienced squad. Clearly we want to improve a hell of a lot on last year considering we won something like two games but people on here saying top 8 ect is craziness. 2022 is our year to mount a charge and really be amongst the talk after we do some recruiting and cut the little dead wood we have remaining From this season.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
cut the little dead wood we have remaining From this season.
LOL we have Napa, Lewis, JMK, Hoppa, Stimson, Britt, Kotoa, Meaney, Smith, DWZ....you call that a "little" deadwood. There are probably more but these are the ones off the top of my head

I'm excited about this season but I have my eye on 22 as there are still WAY too many plodders in the side for us to be a genuine top 8 side even though I still hope we can make it.

Last edited:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LOL we have Napa, Lewis, JMK, Hoppa, Stimson, Britt, Kotoa, Meaney, DWZ....you call that a "little" deadwood. There are probably more but these are the ones off the top of my head

I'm excited about this season but I have my eye on 22 as there are still WAY too many plodders in the side for us to be a genuine top 8 side even though I still hope we can make it.
There are usually 1 or 2 plodder teams that make the bottom part of the 8 just to make the numbers

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon Averillo and Flanagan would come good in say 3 years time and be elite halves, similar to Luai and Cleary. They have the talent and with the right coaching can surely reach their potential. Only thing is Burton is coming next year so not sure where that leaves Burton... maybe FB.

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I reckon Averillo and Flanagan would come good in say 3 years time and be elite halves, similar to Luai and Cleary. They have the talent and with the right coaching can surely reach their potential. Only thing is Burton is coming next year so not sure where that leaves Burton... maybe FB.
Fullback u think that averillo bench if staggs comes but if he doesn’t centre and burton five eight

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are usually 1 or 2 plodder teams that make the bottom part of the 8 just to make the numbers
That's true. I should have said a genuine top 4 side who is competing for premierships every year. That's the expectation for next year anyway. This year is about having fun and hopefully at least beating the Eels and Dragons.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine Foran played the full season?
14 + 2 +2 +2 + 1
Imagine if we made the finals how many more five eights we could of used :grinning:

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL we have Napa, Lewis, JMK, Hoppa, Stimson, Britt, Kotoa, Meaney, DWZ....you call that a "little" deadwood. There are probably more but these are the ones off the top of my head

100% yes!!