Not open for further replies.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belmore's best beginning to boil

By Willie Mason
Bulldogs star

July 21, 2006

LOSING Nate Myles to Sydney Roosters on top of Roy Asotasi going to South Sydney has got me fuming. It's again a case of the Bulldogs paying for their success, and I don't think that's fair.

Let's start with Roy.

I moved to the Bulldogs in 1998, he arrived in 1999, and we have been great mates ever since. I played first grade before him but I have watched him develop into one of the best front rowers in the competition.

The Bulldogs have developed him to where he has been such a great player over the past couple of years. Now we can't afford to keep him. Yet the bottom sides like South Sydney, and those other clubs who aren't as successful, get to grab at our good players. It sucks.

Don't get me wrong.

Roy deserves the money he gets, but what can you say when a club like Souths offers you $450,000 a year and the Bulldogs can't afford to give him what he's worth.

The Rabbitohs have got all that money to spend because they've got players that are average first graders and not worth too much.

Like I said, good luck to him and I'm happy for him to go because he's got a family to look after.

But as I keep saying to him, he'd want to cherish this year because it will probably be the last finals series he plays until he retires. There's no way in the world Souths will go any good next year.

Nate's a different story and that ticks me off even more.

While I'm really upset that Roy did leave because we're great mates, he's done his time at the Dogs, he's been a great player for four or five years, and he deserves that money.

But I think Nate should have stayed because he needs to do his apprenticeship and he's gone and chased some money. You can come with excuses like you need a change or you need a starting spot but it comes down to the money.

I'd have loved to have been in his position, getting thrown $250,000 or $300,000 as a 21 year old, but I sacrificed that money to stay at the Bulldogs - and I haven't regretted it one bit.

I've won a premiership and it's made me the player I am today.

I wished Nate all the luck in the world because he is a good mate but I don't know if he is ready for the leadership role at the Roosters that comes with the responsibility of being a starting player.

The Roosters are going to put all that pressure on him by saying he's their No.1 buy and he's got to replace Adrian Morley. But Adrian Morley is irreplaceable.

He's one of the most intimidating players I have ever played against and it's a shame to lose him back to England. There's no other Adrian Morleys out there so I don't know what the Roosters are thinking with that.

It was the same for me when I was 21. I learned off players like Steve Price, Steve Reardon, Darren Britt and all those sort of older heads.

I sat behind those blokes, picked their brains, watched how they trained and that's probably made me the player I am. It's developed me into a leader. But I was no leader when I was 21 and I was in a better position than Nate was.

I don't know what can be done to help clubs like the Bulldogs retain their players. Probably raise the salary cap again? But to be honest there's probably nothing you can do.

It's a problem that won't go away. Sonny Bill Williams is off contract next year, so are Mark O'Meley and Daniel Holdsworth, there's a lot of them here at Belmore.

People are going to be throwing $600,000 or $700,000 at Sonny, $400,000 at Mark, Daniel Holdsworth has been playing some great football so he could be worth up to $300,000. It never ends.

That's just the price you pay for being successful.

Personally, I don't see what's wrong if a club wins a stack of premierships, just like the Dragons did in the 1960s.

There are not going to dynasties in the game now because the good teams just keep getting broken up every time you have a couple of good years. A couple of the good players come off contract and then they get bought.

We had an opportunity in the next four or five years to really establish ourselves in the NRL as the team that dominated the new millennium but we haven't got that chance now. Roy Asotasi was a real big part of that and so was Nate Myles and we've lost them both.

Turning to tomorrow night's clash against the Roosters, that's going to be a harder game than last Friday night's blockbuster against St George-Illawarra.

There's a confidence in the team after beating the Dragons last week that I last felt in 2004 when we won the premiership. But there's a lot of experienced players there now that know confidence isn't going to get you there.

You still have to work hard and you can't be mucking around. You've got to be switched on for every game and I think myself, Andrew Ryan, Tony Grimaldi and the rest of the senior players will be trying to drill that into everyone.

The Roosters will be tough because they've just come off a win, they're still a chance to make the eight and they're old rivals. They hate us and we hate them. If you play in a grand final and one team wins and one team loses there's always going to be rivalry.

We also need to beat them because they keep buying our players. Obviously they're trying to buy a premiership.

The Australian

-------------------------

Haha Willie and his cheap shot at the Roosters "trying to buy a premiership". I agree with everything he said yet again. Man i love this bloke. Hope he has another good game on Saturday night

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a great read that was. Probably his most frank column to date but right on the button. Hopefully other players read this as well.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Willie your a deadset legend i love how you speak your mind. Mason for PM! :D

T

TdoggBulldog

awesome article.... willie says it straight out

ffs he's my hero tbh.

jig73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post and I am stoked to be finally a part of The Kennel. Willie Mason is a champion and never ceases to impress me. All we can hope is that all the boys read this and realise the pride and passion at the Dogs and how that can make them better as a player, this has been proven time and time again in the past, unfotunately unless the NRL realise the work that goes into developing young players and reward clubs with salary cap concessions this is just going to happen every year for a club like the Dogs. IN the end the only ones to benefit are vulture clubs like the Roosters who buy premiership sides not develop one.

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
jig73 said:
Hi all, this is my first post and I am stoked to be finally a part of The Kennel. Willie Mason is a champion and never ceases to impress me. All we can hope is that all the boys read this and realise the pride and passion at the Dogs and how that can make them better as a player, this has been proven time and time again in the past, unfotunately unless the NRL realise the work that goes into developing young players and reward clubs with salary cap concessions this is just going to happen every year for a club like the Dogs. IN the end the only ones to benefit are vulture clubs like the Roosters who buy premiership sides not develop one.
Welcome mate and well said. :D

Nate

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matty said:
We also need to beat them because they keep buying our players. Obviously they're trying to buy a premiership.
AHAHAHAHAHA

I love you Willie. Great to hear that he and the senior players were drilling into the others that this isn't going to be an easy game.

F

fatal1

"buying a premiership.."

"souths will go nowhere next year..."

nate chased money..."

hahahaha finally someone writes something of complete truth...gotta love willie!!

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Yep.. Much love to Willie.. I am not always a fan of his writing..but this is spot on... accurate, opinionated and true... Nate will struggle, Souths will have a hard time of it... its all true.. :grinning:

AND GO WILLIE, LETS HOPE THIS FIRES THE BOYS UP MORE.. :D :D

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Willie Mason said:
"But as I keep saying to him, he'd want to cherish this year because it will probably be the last finals series he plays until he retires. There's no way in the world Souths will go any good next year"

"They hate us and we hate them. If you play in a grand final and one team wins and one team loses there's always going to be rivalry.

We also need to beat them because they keep buying our players. Obviously they're trying to buy a premiership"
Haha GOLD.....Willie tells it straight and doesnt fuk around..u gotta love it.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Move over Shrek, Mase is OFFICIALLY my favourite player now!

Before I couldn't split Shrek and Mase, but now I have a clear favourite!

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score

By Willie Mason
Bulldogs star

July 21, 2006

LOSING Nate Myles to Sydney Roosters on top of Roy Asotasi going to South Sydney has got me fuming. It's again a case of the Bulldogs paying for their success, and I don't think that's fair.

Let's start with Roy.

I moved to the Bulldogs in 1998, he arrived in 1999, and we have been great mates ever since. I played first grade before him but I have watched him develop into one of the best front rowers in the competition.

The Bulldogs have developed him to where he has been such a great player over the past couple of years. Now we can't afford to keep him. Yet the bottom sides like South Sydney, and those other clubs who aren't as successful, get to grab at our good players. It sucks.

Don't get me wrong.

Roy deserves the money he gets, but what can you say when a club like Souths offers you $450,000 a year and the Bulldogs can't afford to give him what he's worth.

The Rabbitohs have got all that money to spend because they've got players that are average first graders and not worth too much.

Like I said, good luck to him and I'm happy for him to go because he's got a family to look after.

But as I keep saying to him, he'd want to cherish this year because it will probably be the last finals series he plays until he retires. There's no way in the world Souths will go any good next year.

Nate's a different story and that ticks me off even more.

While I'm really upset that Roy did leave because we're great mates, he's done his time at the Dogs, he's been a great player for four or five years, and he deserves that money.

But I think Nate should have stayed because he needs to do his apprenticeship and he's gone and chased some money. You can come with excuses like you need a change or you need a starting spot but it comes down to the money.

I'd have loved to have been in his position, getting thrown $250,000 or $300,000 as a 21 year old, but I sacrificed that money to stay at the Bulldogs - and I haven't regretted it one bit.

I've won a premiership and it's made me the player I am today.

I wished Nate all the luck in the world because he is a good mate but I don't know if he is ready for the leadership role at the Roosters that comes with the responsibility of being a starting player.

The Roosters are going to put all that pressure on him by saying he's their No.1 buy and he's got to replace Adrian Morley. But Adrian Morley is irreplaceable.

He's one of the most intimidating players I have ever played against and it's a shame to lose him back to England. There's no other Adrian Morleys out there so I don't know what the Roosters are thinking with that.

It was the same for me when I was 21. I learned off players like Steve Price, Steve Reardon, Darren Britt and all those sort of older heads.

I sat behind those blokes, picked their brains, watched how they trained and that's probably made me the player I am. It's developed me into a leader. But I was no leader when I was 21 and I was in a better position than Nate was.

I don't know what can be done to help clubs like the Bulldogs retain their players. Probably raise the salary cap again? But to be honest there's probably nothing you can do.

It's a problem that won't go away. Sonny Bill Williams is off contract next year, so are Mark O'Meley and Daniel Holdsworth, there's a lot of them here at Belmore.

People are going to be throwing $600,000 or $700,000 at Sonny, $400,000 at Mark, Daniel Holdsworth has been playing some great football so he could be worth up to $300,000. It never ends.

That's just the price you pay for being successful.

Personally, I don't see what's wrong if a club wins a stack of premierships, just like the Dragons did in the 1960s.

There are not going to dynasties in the game now because the good teams just keep getting broken up every time you have a couple of good years. A couple of the good players come off contract and then they get bought.

We had an opportunity in the next four or five years to really establish ourselves in the NRL as the team that dominated the new millennium but we haven't got that chance now. Roy Asotasi was a real big part of that and so was Nate Myles and we've lost them both.

Turning to tomorrow night's clash against the Roosters, that's going to be a harder game than last Friday night's blockbuster against St George-Illawarra.

There's a confidence in the team after beating the Dragons last week that I last felt in 2004 when we won the premiership. But there's a lot of experienced players there now that know confidence isn't going to get you there.

You still have to work hard and you can't be mucking around. You've got to be switched on for every game and I think myself, Andrew Ryan, Tony Grimaldi and the rest of the senior players will be trying to drill that into everyone.

The Roosters will be tough because they've just come off a win, they're still a chance to make the eight and they're old rivals. They hate us and we hate them. If you play in a grand final and one team wins and one team loses there's always going to be rivalry.

F R 3 D 5 7 A

√ [ό] √
Reaction score
BAHAHAHA

"he'd want to cherish this year because it will probably be the last finals series he plays until he retires. There's no way in the world Souths will go any good next year.

Bulldogs50

Justin..
Reaction score
Stevie J said:
hahaha my favourite part

great read

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
hahahahahaha finally someone says the truth.

No one speaks their mind like Willie :grinning:

bulldogz_lady

Im a hustler baby
Reaction score
Stevie J said:
THATS TOO FUNNY
DEASET GOLD!!!!!!!!

dvsbastard

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mason... Never ever leave the Bulldogs!

You are a champion and a deadset legend!

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Asotasi must not like playing semi final football.....why else would he go to Souths!
I could be mistaken but didn't Maitua, Sonny, and Astoai make a pact to finsh their carres together after the 04 grandfinal?

F R 3 D 5 7 A

√ [ό] √
Reaction score
Keefy said:
Asotasi must not like playing semi final football.....why else would he go to Souths!
I could be mistaken but didn't Maitua, Sonny, and Astoai make a pact to finsh their carres together after the 04 grandfinal?
I made a pact once with my dog never to leave my side.....

Next day he ran away

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
F R 3 D 5 7 A said:
I made a pact once with my dog never to leave my side.....

Next day he ran away
LOL fair enough :grinning:
I guess My post was kinda stupid but When they made this pact I remember laughing at the time and thinking yeah right!

Status
Not open for further replies.