News Why Trent Barrett is ready to be Canterbury Bulldog’s next coach

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
D66F32B4-8199-46F5-A63D-4D9738D7757A.jpeg Fire the fuck up, for the first time in a decade we're going to be playing attacking fast football. Barrett wont play the boring BS we've been serving up for the last decade and Tolman will no longer be the centre of our attack lol.
Baz will find the right players and recruit accordingly so that the Bulldogs are playing the brand of football he wants to coach. Being the current attacking coach at the Panthers and having come through the Panthers coaching academy will only benefit the Bulldogs. This isn't just the change we've been crying for but the change we need. Baz is the man, and the fact that he wants to coach us when most others don't is just another reason why he should be welcomed with open arms.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Nothing to be ready for as I am not the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs, just a one of its fans who wants whats best for it. Bringing in Voldemort is not what I think is best.

If you do then good for you, but as I believe in Club first and foremost I wont stop supporting our team and club EVEN THOUGH I think it is a monumental mistake. If they do announce it you wont hear a word from me blaming him for any outcome as he simply excepted a job offer. My beef will be with the fuckwits that gave it to him.

If it happens and he somehow is a success, I hate to tell you mate but I will stoked as a fan and will also happily cop I told you so from the forums best toldyaso's

Until then, fuck him, fuck the board and fuck the Barrett lovers.
I'm playing, relax :tearsofjoy:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fire the fuck up, for the first time in a decade we're going to be playing attacking fast football. Barrett won to lay the boring BS we've been serving up for the last decade and Tolman will no longer be the centre of our attack lol
HUGE_FIRE_FARTS.gif

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 16089 Fire the fuck up, for the first time in a decade we're going to be playing attacking fast football. Barrett wont play the boring BS we've been serving up for the last decade and Tolman will no longer be the centre of our attack lol.
Baz will find the right players and recruit accordingly so that the Bulldogs are playing the brand of football he wants to coach. Being the current attacking coach at the Panthers and having come through the Panthers coaching academy will only benefit the Bulldogs. This isn't just the change we've been crying for but the change we need. Baz is the man, and the fact that he wants to coach us when most others don't is just another reason why he should be welcomed with open arms.
Yes indeed. Rookie NRL coaches only get 2 chances at most. Barrett knows this is his last chance to make it as career head coach in NRL. Its about time we end the Desball and get back to attacking football which hasn't happened as part of our "DNA" for nearly 30 years. We've won 8 titles in our 85 year history and half of those came during the time of our greatest player and the best player I've ever seen Steve Mortimer. For those young supporters who never saw him play what a shame. Mortimer won 4 premierships, made 6 GF in a 13 year career. Was the best player on the field in the 2 GF that we lost. Thurston won 2 premierships, made 3 GF in 17 years. Andrew Johns 1.5 premierships, 2 GF in 15 years. Let the stats speak for themselves. We don't have a halfback anywhere that quality but at least now we'll have a coach who was a great half himself and clearly knows how to create a good attacking team. It's up to the board now to put the rest of the pieces in position.

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll only believe this when it actually happens. I don’t believe signing Barrett is the answer or the right fit for our club. Unlike Pay he’s had NO previous connection to the club, similar to him taking on the coaching role at Manly and you only have to talk to Manly supporters to see how they felt about him being their coach.

Channel Sunday Roast have basically said it’s a done deal but nothing has come out from either club to say that is true.

I’d hope they stick with Georgallis for this year and next before signing Holbrook, his Titans contract expires next year, to a long term deal. He’s a far better option than Barrett in my opinion.
No no noooooo to barrett!
Il be absolutely gutted if this happens.
Not the mould id be going for. No way.

Fuck people are desperate here on tk lol.
Dean Pay #2

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes indeed. Rookie NRL coaches only get 2 chances at most. Barrett knows this is his last chance to make it as career head coach in NRL. Its about time we end the Desball and get back to attacking football which hasn't happened as part of our "DNA" for nearly 30 years. We've won 8 titles in our 85 year history and half of those came during the time of our greatest player and the best player I've ever seen Steve Mortimer. For those young supporters who never saw him play what a shame. Mortimer won 4 premierships, made 6 GF in a 13 year career. Was the best player on the field in the 2 GF that we lost. Thurston won 2 premierships, made 3 GF in 17 years. Andrew Johns 1.5 premierships, 2 GF in 15 years. Let the stats speak for themselves. We don't have a halfback anywhere that quality but at least now we'll have a coach who was a great half himself and clearly knows how to create a good attacking team. It's up to the board now to put the rest of the pieces in position.
I saw Steve Mortimer throughout his playing career and he was indeed one of the best half backs I've seen but I would point out that the game was far different back when he played than today. Johnathon Thurston in my opinion is without doubt the best halfback and quite possibly the best player I've seen play the game. He had it all with a great kicking game, a brilliant football brain, toughness and a great goal kicker to boot. I only wish that Coffs Harbour debacle had never happened or he may well have stayed with us. Anyway back to Mortimer who was brilliantly quick and the best cover defender I've ever seen in his prime. I remember he use to have match races put on against St George half back Steve "Slippery" Morris (father of the Morris Brothers). Morris was to quick for Mortimer over the shorter distances as he was lightning quick but Mortimer was able to sustain his pace and quicken when needed to make a cover defending tackle. In attack he'd chip and chase regather and score on numerous occasions. Had far more pace than Sterlo who had a great football brain and kicking game but was well supported by a representative backline so I'm glad we had Mortimer over Sterlo. I always rated Brett Kenny higher than Sterlo in regards to the importance of the Eels team. He was a freakish player Brett Kenny. One last stat you missed on Steve Mortimer he was the first successful NSW captain to win the State Of Origin Series.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw Steve Mortimer throughout his playing career and he was indeed one of the best half backs I've seen but I would point out that the game was far different back when he played than today. Johnathon Thurston in my opinion is without doubt the best halfback and quite possibly the best player I've seen play the game. He had it all with a great kicking game, a brilliant football brain, toughness and a great goal kicker to boot. I only wish that Coffs Harbour debacle had never happened or he may well have stayed with us. Anyway back to Mortimer who was brilliantly quick and the best cover defender I've ever seen in his prime. I remember he use to have match races put on against St George half back Steve "Slippery" Morris (father of the Morris Brothers). Morris was to quick for Mortimer over the shorter distances as he was lightning quick but Mortimer was able to sustain his pace and quicken when needed to make a cover defending tackle. In attack he'd chip and chase regather and score on numerous occasions. Had far more pace than Sterlo who had a great football brain and kicking game but was well supported by a representative backline so I'm glad we had Mortimer over Sterlo. I always rated Brett Kenny higher than Sterlo in regards to the importance of the Eels team. He was a freakish player Brett Kenny. One last stat you missed on Steve Mortimer he was the first successful NSW captain to win the State Of Origin Series.
You must be on the wrong side of 40 like me. I was aware of him being the first NSW captain to win SOO and Morris Snr but my post was getting too long. Morris had the slight edge in the match race but Morris couldn't chip and regather at will or score so often from the scrum base or dummy half like Mortimer.
Thurston had the benefit of having free reign to do anything by coach Murray as Cowboys were a basket case and they had nothing to lose. For a long time Thurston had tons of Origin and Test players (9+) in his team but in reality was responsible for only 1 premiership as in 2004 he was a part time bench player during the year and only played in the GF because Price was out injured. His impact at the Dogs was minimal. His career stats don't stack compared to Mortimer who had to fundamentally change his style of play in 84 onwards because of Wok. He butted heads with Wok who refused to allow him to play his natural game and yet was still the most influential player in our team. There was a video on Mortimer circulating on youtube years ago now taken down because of copyright. In that video the legendary league caller Frank Hyde rated Mortimer the best half he's ever seen, better than Sterling and Alex Murphy and "tackles as good as Raper". He said Sterling had the advantage over Mortimer only when they were playing in the UK because of those conditions. In the same video "immortal" Bob Fulton said Mortimer was the "best halfback I've ever seen" and the "single most influential reason why the Bulldogs won those premierships in the 80's". The dogs had not won a GF for 38 years until Mortimer arrived. 38 years! In 79 when we came from 5th to the GF Mortimer scored 2 brilliant long distance solo tries in the sudden death SF against Cronulla, then another brilliant match winning solo try evading 5 players to beat Parra in the GF qualifier when were behind on the scoreboard. All those tries were scored from a standing start. In the 79 GF we were getting smashed by St George and Mortimer saved at least 3 tries with his trademark cover defence. In the 80 GF he again saved 3 tries with his trademark cover defence even when the opposition winger had a head start. Match saver and match winner throughout his career. If some player did that now with the frequency Mortimer did in his career it would be all over social media and the press would be raving and calling him the "GOAT".
re: Kenny, I agree I thought Kenny was more influential than Sterling. In my view Sterlo became a media darling with the press as they needed a poster boy to spread the game in the outer west as Parra had never won a comp. Its the bandwagon effect, one journalist raved about Sterlo and the rest just follow. Sterlo throws a pass and 10 passes later someone scores but the commentator will say the try was only possible because of Sterlo. The same hype applies to "King" Wally Lewis who was a failure in the ARL.
To me the hype around Thurston, Johns etc is that the latest is always the greatest when it comes to sport so the media jump on the bandwagon. You'll often see the phrase "we/they were diabolical" in post match interviews, match reports etc which is a nonsensical phrase. "Diabolical" means having characteristics of the devil but one day one idiot journalist used it and then it became the trend in the NRL. Just goes to show that what is generally accepted or used is not necessarily based on facts.
re: Coffs Harbour
I don't want to slag the guy but I heard that the instigator of that sordid event was not resigned at the end of the year.

Last edited:

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’ll only believe this when it actually happens. I don’t believe signing Barrett is the answer or the right fit for our club. Unlike Pay he’s had NO previous connection to the club, similar to him taking on the coaching role at Manly and you only have to talk to Manly supporters to see how they felt about him being their coach.

Channel Sunday Roast have basically said it’s a done deal but nothing has come out from either club to say that is true.

I’d hope they stick with Georgallis for this year and next before signing Holbrook, his Titans contract expires next year, to a long term deal. He’s a far better option than Barrett in my opinion.
Just because you played for the club doesn’t mean you know how to coach the club.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at parras coach and internal crap 2&1/2 years ago, absolute rabble. Spent money on some good players turned it around pretty quick, new coach some decent signings and a new sponsor around the corner. Future looks alot better allready

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There wouldn’t be ONE coach that would’ve made a difference to our club after the Des era left us with NO salary cap to buy decent players and leave us with no room to move in our cap and players well past their best but being paid more each year they as they were signed on ridiculous back ended contracts. James Graham being a classic example of that. He was great for us when he first came to the club but oppositions had worked him out and he was then on 900K or more for the last year of his contract with us. That’s why they had to move him on and still pay out his contract while playing for Saints. Same with MBye and a few others. We were fucked for a number of years until these contracts had been paid out. That didn’t happen until now. So I can’t see how PAY is to be blamed for that. We’ve had a horror run with injuries and suspensions as well, yet everyone seems to think Barrett will be our savior.

He’s still happy at Penrith and they don’t want to lose him so I’m not convinced it’s a done deal as so many in the media seem to think.

Channel 9 were even suggesting in having Gus Gould on as an advisor! We’re trying to rebuild the club NOT destroy it. Gus still hasn’t forgotten the war of ‘97 and doesn’t like those teams that sided against the ARL back then. Listening to his commentary of the Rorters and what he’d done to Penrith only highlights that.
Good on ya mate, unfortunately some have very short memories, or are either to young or to simple to remember, Gould is Rotters through and through and then some, because that's where the money is, which would help if you get in trouble gambling.
Many remarks he has made since the SL war tells me that he has not eased up on his hatred for our club, sure he may have convinced DWZ to sign for us but he probably did it it more to help Penrith than to help us, he would never want us to beat the Rotters, or probably anyone else..
Many say old habits die hard, any person who harbours deep hate has to hang on to it because without it he has nothing left. another coach that was associated with him said that he was a man of agendas. Giving Gould a job at our club is like putting a fox in the chicken coup.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because you played for the club doesn’t mean you know how to coach the club.
I’d still rather have a coach who has played and knows the club than one who has no idea about the clubs history or culture.

Sure there are those teams fortunate enough to have secured the services of a super coach like Parramatta had back in the ‘80’s with probably the best of all time in Jack Gibson and Tim Sheens for Canberra these days I would classify Bennett and Bellamy as Super Coaches but they are not available nor interested in coaching the ‘dogs. Don’t tell me Robinson is a Super Coach, he’s been backed by a billionaire who have been allowed to lure and form a virtual test team by way of third party agreements that allows them to get away with buying anyone they want like SBW & Cronk. If you have the backing of someone like that you’re more than halfway to success. But apart from those TWO super coaches mentioned above you are not going to achieve immediate success with someone who has no previous links to the club. Brad Arthur has been at Parramatta as a full time first grade coach since 2014 and took over as caretaker in 2012. Ricky Stuart coached them in 2013 before going to Canberra and he should’ve had a win last year but for a referee blunder that cost them that GF. Parramatta have still yet to win a GF under Arthur and while they look good this year they still are Parramatta and need to show that they can back up their success week in week out. Consistency has been their main problem for years. As for the ‘dogs our last 3 GF wins we were coached by ex players from the club. Folkes, Anderson and Gould.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at parras coach and internal crap 2&1/2 years ago, absolute rabble. Spent money on some good players turned it around pretty quick, new coach some decent signings and a new sponsor around the corner. Future looks alot better allready
how many comps have they won under Arthur? He’s been there since 2014! They may break through this year but they are Parramatta and they have a problem with consistency and also Finals footy. It’s all well and good to put a few impressive wins together early in the season but when the blow torch is applied around finals time they come up short. Ferguson is one player that can win or lose you a game. Sivo is great for them on the wing in attack but like many of those wingers can be found out in defense. Still not sold on Parra as a premiership threat. It’s either the Rorters again or the Storm are the only team that can compete with them. Penrith are going OK but against weaker opposition, they still have to lift to beat either the Rorters or Storm.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dogs to announce Barrett signing in next ‘24-48 hours’ — and he’s already plotting a Sea Eagles raid

• July 20, 2020 7:52am
  • DARCIE MCDONALD
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
[FONT=Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

The Bulldogs are set to announce the appointment of Trent Barrett as head coach in the coming days. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images).
Source: Getty Images​

Canterbury’s search for a new coach is over with the announcement of Trent Barrett expected in the coming days.

Fox League’s James Hooper reports the club will confirm the signing of Barrett on a three-year deal in the next 24 to 48 hours.
“Trent Barrett, the worst kept secret in the game, will be made official in the next 24 to 48 hours,” Hooper told Big League Wrap.
“He will coach Canterbury-Bankstown for the next three seasons.”
Barrett, currently an assistant coach with the Panthers, will finish the year season at the foot of the mountains before he makes the switch to Belmore for the 2021 season and beyond.
He’ll face a number of challenges when he joins the club including recruiting smartly to ensure the $3 million war chest is spelt wisely, transforming the club’s attack and handling the reported split in the boardroom.
Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield said Barrett already had his sights set on Brookvale.
“My mail is he will sign in the next 48-hours and he will take John Cartwright from Manly as his assistant coach,” he said on Big Sports Breakfast.
“Baz has a lot of money, he has the best cheque book in rugby league and knows those Manly players as well as Des does.”

But Hooper says Barrett’s first challenge will be retaining a disgruntled star.
“His first assignment will be trying to convince Corey Harawira-Naera, the Kiwi back-rower not to go down to the National capital. He wants out, he wants to be a Canberra Raider, Baz is going try and keep him in the kennel.”
Harawira-Neara is reportedly filthy at the club for how it handled his pre-season sex scandal and is desperately seeking a release from the remaining two years of his contract to join the Raiders.
Barrett will replace Dean Pay who resigned on Tuesday after two and a half years at the helm with little to no success.
Pay, who was off-contract at the end of the year, walked away after he was told by the board he would not be re-signed.
Under Pay’s watch the Bulldogs finished the 2018 and 2019 season in the 12th spot but the opening nine rounds of 2020 saw the Bulldogs win just one game and slump to last.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/5f90263666a8cf17e71bc4b4117c1244

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I think if he grabs John Cartwright, that will be the perfect foil for him. A guy who has been around as a head coach, understands the pressure. Should be able to help guide him and give him the support he needs.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett has the ideal attacking style to turn us around. More on that in a moment.

Our main issue and because we are not winning games is due to our atrocious attack and lack of scoring points. Yeh I know, thanks scoop. This started with Hasler. We weren't winning games by much and the game plan was all about completions and defence with statistics at the forefront. We have had this style in our system for over six years and it has stuck like mud.

Enter Trent Barrett. Our current system that has stuck like mud will be eradicated by the smarts and style of Trent Barrett's attacking style he has proven to be effective with Penrith. To a certain extent with Manly also by opening the shackles of DCE (selected for QLD Origin) and Co. We expect more of the same when he is our coach and with the right signings like Cotric and others alike will reflect this and will ensure our attack is a lot more slick and entertaining which is exactly what we need rather than a coach that focuses more on defence than attack. There are not many other options better than Barrett to remove our current slow and boring system from our playing group. I have no doubt the board see this and is the reason why they have gone for Barrett. Lets give credit where it is due to the boeard because this will see the Bullldogs play a completely different style of game to what we have been seeing in the past six or so years.

We need to remove the shackles and Barrett is the man to do so.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett has the ideal attacking style to turn us around. More on that in a moment.

Our main issue and because we are not winning games is due to our atrocious attack and lack of scoring points. Yeh I know, thanks scoop. This started with Hasler. We weren't winning games by much and the game plan was all about completions and defence with statistics at the forefront. We have had this style in our system for over six years and it has stuck like mud.

Enter Trent Barrett. Our current system that has stuck like mud will be eradicated by the smarts and style of Trent Barrett's attacking style he has proven to be effective with Penrith. To a certain extent with Manly also by opening the shackles of DCE (selected for QLD Origin) and Co. We expect more of the same when he is our coach and with the right signings like Cotric and others alike will reflect this and will ensure our attack is a lot more slick and entertaining which is exactly what we need rather than a coach that focuses more on defence than attack. There are not many other options better than Barrett to remove our current slow and boring system from our playing group. I have no doubt the board see this and is the reason why they have gone for Barrett. Lets give credit where it is due to the boeard because this will see the Bullldogs play a completely different style of game to what we have been seeing in the past six or so years.

We need to remove the shackles and Barrett is the man to do so.
Well said mate. Agree 1000%. Not sure he is the best defensive coach but in terms of attack he will eradicate the disgusting cancer known as "Desball" - hopefully from FG down to Harold Matts. Hopefully any prop taking a regulation hit up in the opposition 20 is punished the following week with a 4AM training session because that shit needs to be banned

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So where does this leave Georgallis? Will he be assistant coach? I hope they keep him on as he’s won the Canterbury Cup for us in 2018 and even though we lost on Saturday to the Saints I thought we showed a lot of improvement from previous weeks. Only stupid individual errors cost us. He has the experience and knowledge of a lot of players coming through so I hope they at least keep him on as assistant coach. Then again loyalty doesn’t count for much these days.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’d still rather have a coach who has played and knows the club than one who has no idea about the clubs history or culture.

Sure there are those teams fortunate enough to have secured the services of a super coach like Parramatta had back in the ‘80’s with probably the best of all time in Jack Gibson and Tim Sheens for Canberra these days I would classify Bennett and Bellamy as Super Coaches but they are not available nor interested in coaching the ‘dogs. Don’t tell me Robinson is a Super Coach, he’s been backed by a billionaire who have been allowed to lure and form a virtual test team by way of third party agreements that allows them to get away with buying anyone they want like SBW & Cronk. If you have the backing of someone like that you’re more than halfway to success. But apart from those TWO super coaches mentioned above you are not going to achieve immediate success with someone who has no previous links to the club. Brad Arthur has been at Parramatta as a full time first grade coach since 2014 and took over as caretaker in 2012. Ricky Stuart coached them in 2013 before going to Canberra and he should’ve had a win last year but for a referee blunder that cost them that GF. Parramatta have still yet to win a GF under Arthur and while they look good this year they still are Parramatta and need to show that they can back up their success week in week out. Consistency has been their main problem for years. As for the ‘dogs our last 3 GF wins we were coached by ex players from the club. Folkes, Anderson and Gould.
Listen mate there 3 type of coaches

1. Coaches who lead the way
2. Coaches who are keeping up
3. Coaches who are left behind

who only reason Anderson and folkes had success was because of the cattle we had .

Disaster took us to 2 grand finals when we really shouldn’t have been there.

Ted Glossop took us to grand finals and won.

warren Ryan took us to grand finals and won.

Phil Gould took us to grand finals and won.