News WHY SMITH THINKS THE BULLDOGS ARE "TWO TO THREE YEARS" OFF SUCCESS

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL legend Cameron Smith believes the Canterbury Bulldogs are "two to three years" off being competitive. The Bulldogs are currently in a transition phase under new coach Trent Barrett, and with just one win this season, they’re looking like the favourites to pick up the wooden spoon. After signing Matt Burton, Josh Addo-Carr and Brent Naden for next season, Smith thinks the club needs to think long-term for success as their current situation "won't change overnight". “It’s not a quick fix, that’s the first thing you need to understand,” Smith said on SEN 1170 Breakfast with Vossy. “It’s not going to change over night, you can’t really turn the situation around in half a season. “You have got to think long-term now, and you have got to start building your squad together where you think you’re going to be very competitive or a chance to be a part of finals at least in two to three years.” Smith likened the Bulldogs poor form to that of the Melbourne Storm in 2002, the year before Craig Bellamy joined the club and molded the franchise into what it is today. “I know that’s the vision Craig Bellamy had when he joined the Storm,” Smith said. “We finished 9th in 2002, he then joined at the end of that year, heading into the ‘03 season. “There were deficiencies that he saw in our squad. “He knew that it was going to take time and a lot of hard work to get to the goal that everyone is chasing, which is playing in a Grand final and winning a premiership. That took a few years to get to. In ‘03, ‘04, ‘05 where we were thereabouts, and then it all clicked and came together in ‘06, ‘07 ‘08 and ‘09 and it’s just gone from strength to strength since.” The Bulldogs go in search of their second win of the season around against a David Fifita-less Gold Coast Titans side at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Says the bloke who never tasted anything but success. Silver spooned all his career. Good luck to him I suppose.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he’s way off the mark regarding a timeframe two or three years
We have been going through this crap for the last five years at least which is beyond belief
There is no excuses that our team doesn’t start winning games and being genuinely
competitive next season.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I actually think he’s talking sense... goal for 2022 is to make the 8 and hopefully go deep in the finals (& you never know)... 2023 goal should be top 4 and seriously challenge for the title and thereabouts year on year hopefully

SKY-DOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It can be a quick fix.
2008 wooden spoon,
2009 preliminary final. If Pattern, Goodwin, Hannant didn’t get injured we would of beaten Parramatta and taken down Melbourne in the Grand final we beat them twice that year.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope he’s way off the mark regarding a timeframe two or three years
We have been going through this crap for the last five years at least which is beyond belief
There is no excuses that our team doesn’t start winning games and being genuinely
competitive next season.
I think he means challenging for the title.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
2017 we won 10 games and lost 7 games by 6 points or less and we thought the world had ended.

How many seasons before we win 10 games or more do you think?