Why our next child must be a daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Shelley Hadfield From: The Daily Telegraph January 08, 2011 9:58AM

A COUPLE who terminated twin boys conceived through IVF are fighting to choose the sex of their next child - because they want a girl.

In a case that raises the ethical question of sex selection, the couple have taken their fight to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal. They already have three sons and said they now want to have a girl after their baby daughter died.

An independent panel, known as the Patient Review Panel, rejected the couple's bid to choose the gender of their next child using IVF. They now want that decision overturned. The tribunal, which ruled it has the power to review the earlier decision, will hear the case in March.

The couple said they had made the decision to terminate the twin boys but could not continue to have unlimited numbers of children.

If their bid to have a daughter fails, they said they would go to US so they can conceive a girl.

The woman - in her 30s - said she loved her sons but would do anything to have a daughter. "After what we have been through we think we are due for a bit of luck," the man said.

"We know we definitely won't be replacing her in any way, but want the chance to have the baby girl we don't have."

According to Victorian law, sex selection is banned unless it is necessary to avoid the risk of transmission of a genetic abnormality or disease or the Patient Review Panel has approved such using of an embryo.

All IVF clinics in Australia also subscribe to a code of ethics, including that they stay within National Health and Medical Research Council guidelines which say sex selection should not be done except to reduce the transmission of a serious genetic condition.

The man said sex selection should be determined on a case-by-case basis. "Girls will go and get abortions and terminate when they know it's not the right sex," he said. "That's the reality.

"We think it's our right to have a chance to do it. It's ridiculous that sex selection is illegal, actually."

Australian IVF pioneer Gab Kovacs said he could not understand why the couple should be banned from having a girl.

"I can't see how it could possibly harm anyone," Professor Kovacs said.

"Laws should be made to protect people from things that are going to damage them. Why should we make this illegal? Who is this going to harm if this couple have their desire fulfilled?"

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...st-be-a-daughter/story-e6freuy9-1225983928223

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
****wits. I don't even agree with regular abortion in regular circumstances but termination because they 'want a girl' is ridiculous.

Shoot them both.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
****wits. I don't even agree with regular abortion in regular circumstances but termination because they 'want a girl' is ridiculous.

Shoot them both.
This x 10.

Had they fought this before they aborted twin boys that many women would kill to be able to have, i could sympathize with them. If the technology is available to determine sex is there i see no problem using it. After aborting twins i think they don't deserve more chances and should learn to be thankful for whatever kids they get. If this lady gets pregnant with twin daughters do they have to kill one of their existing boys to accommodate the daughters?

edit
There are some circumstances where i think abortion is warranted but i don't agree with it in principle. If you know you don't want children use protection or go on the pill or just practice abstinence.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There are some circumstances where i think abortion is warranted but i don't agree with it in principle. If you know you don't want children use protection or go on the pill or just practice abstinence.
Yip, I agree with that. Rape victims and certain other circumstances should be exceptions because that is no fault of their own and the bearer most likely would not have had the ability to make the assessment prior to falling pregnant over whether or not they could handle a child.

The thing I've never understood with these pro-choice people is the idea that it's a woman's choice to do what she wants with her own body in regards to carrying and birthing a child. Sure, there may be some validity in individuals having some form of freedom, but when you are carrying a child, it is no longer just your body, there is another body which will be effected by your choice.

It goes hand in hand with what you've said about people who don't want children.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i dont like the idea of selecting a sex

why not just cut off his penis and do sex change surgery after birth?

idiots

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw if you allow abortions for rape victims only, then people who dont want the baby badly enough will claim they got raped

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
btw if you allow abortions for rape victims only, then people who dont want the baby badly enough will claim they got raped
Which would then require them to go to court and enter into a legal battle with the biological father. I don't think many would try that.

There will be consequences for those who try to cheat the laws, obviously.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Which would then require them to go to court and enter into a legal battle with the biological father. I don't think many would try that.

There will be consequences for those who try to cheat the laws, obviously.
i mean the girl says rape after consulting the father

she gives vague details to the police and the case would be unsolved because no rape took place

there is not going to be any consequences for this type of case

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i mean the girl says rape after consulting the father

she gives vague details to the police and the case would be unsolved because no rape took place

there is not going to be any consequences for this type of case
It still requires legal investigation, interrogation, they have to co-ordinate the plan effectively so that it doesn't end up coming out as looking like rape because then the father goes to jail, and what if there is a mistake in that coordination?

It's not as simple as you say, Rod.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score

Shoot them both.
agreed....as long the baby is healthy then it shouldnt matter if its a boy or a girl tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.