Why Newcastle's Mata'utia brothers said no to Canterbury coach Des Hasler

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Can't wait for the response to this one woohhoo. For me, how was it going to adversely affect their mother and secondly I just hope the door is firmly shut on these idiots after reneging. I don't rate any of them anyways so another bullet dodged IMO

In the end, the Mata'utia brothers put family ahead of the "Family Club".
Sione, Chanel and Pat Mata'utia grew up in Bankstown as Canterbury supporters, so when they received a lucrative offer to shift to Belmore, they had no qualms about signing up. But the talented teens soon thought better of it, especially what it would mean for their family.
They weren't quite ready to cut the cord with their mother, Matalena, who brought them up on her own with little money. Which is why, with much less fuss than the round 13 backflips performed by Daly Cherry-Evans, James Tedesco and Josh Papalii, they went against the grain and said no to Des Hasler.
The trio will face Canterbury on Saturday for the first time since knocking them back after accepting a three-year counter offer from Newcastle. It was an agonising decision for the talented trio, which resulted in them separating from their former manager. However, the brothers are comfortable with their decision as they prepare to face the Bulldogs on Old Boys Day.
Advertisement

"I had my first game at four for the Bankstown Cougars and we had a pretty good time back then," Sione said.
"Growing up in Bankstown and growing up a Bulldogs supporter, [joining them] sounded pretty good.
"Obviously everyone knew there was some contract negotiating there. I just felt like the best option was to stay close to our family at this early time in our career.
"It probably wasn't the right time. It is what it is. Staying at Newcastle has turned out to be a good option.
"We left on good terms and it's just another game of footy really. I've got a lot of respect for the Bulldogs club and [CEO] Raelene Castle is a lovely lady.
"It's going to be a great day and that's going to be my focus, on putting in a good performance."
The Bulldogs went all out for the trio who, along with St George Illawarra try sneak Peter, could soon be rivalling the Burgess brothers as the most talented sporting family in either code. Such was the regard for Sione - who became the youngest Kangaroos debutant after being handed a green and gold jersey after just seven appearances - that Wayne Bennett anointed him a future club captain.
Sione was full of praise for Canterbury's handling of a delicate situation.
"With any club that has a bit of interest, it gives us a bit of confidence and gratitude towards them as well," he said.
"We have a lot of respect for Raelene and Des, all those guys who helped us with the whole situation, which was awesome. We'd like to thank those guys for going about it the way they did.
"I spoke to Raelene a fair bit after it, she said congratulations. It was really nice of her. There's no bad blood there, it's the way the situation went.
"This will be the first [game against Canterbury] since all that contract negotiating stuff.
"That's one thing I wanted to do, whatever decision I came up with I wanted to end on good terms and leave no bad blood. There's nothing bad there so I'm happy with how it's gone."
Chanel has made eight NRL appearances but has been named to play alongside Pat for the NSW Cup encounter against Manly on Saturday.
"It was a bit of a tough time, being on the last year of contract with the Knights and trying to sort everything for the year after," Chanel said.
"We came from Bankstown, we moved up here and they were the first club we supported. We were interested in going and they were interested in having us.
"We ended up going down there to meet Des Hasler late one night for a meet and greet.
"We met the trainers and they showed us around and that was about it.
"The first priority was to stay at Newcastle and we ended up securing a contract here. We thought about family first and we're all happy with it."

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...des-hasler-20150825-gj7j0s.html#ixzz3jooCV9nW
Follow us: @brisbanetimes on Twitter | brisbanetimes on Facebook

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They are all overrated pieces of shit. It's the best news I've heard all year in relation to recruitment. Stay there reserve graders

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Glad we got out of them to be honest. As odd as it sounds missing out on them and Fifita seems a blessing for us.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fifita - Bullet dodged
Mata'utia's - Bullet dodged
Blair - Bullet dodged

Who else have we been lucky to 'lose out' on previously..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fifita - Bullet dodged
Mata'utia's - Bullet dodged
Blair - Bullet dodged

Who else have we been lucky to 'lose out' on previously..
Blair is actually doing okay at Brisbane now after bludging at the tigers for years lol

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Blair is actually doing okay at Brisbane now after bludging at the tigers for years lol
How did we dodge Blair? Did I miss something?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think the courier mail blasted him after he made about 3 metres in an early season game and he has put a more respectable effort in since then. Still he is overpaid and had to be told he needs to make more than 3 metres a game. Still a big bullet dodged IMO... A big slow lazy one.

Imagine T Rex and Blair in the same side. Damn that's a lot of wasted cap space!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I don't know about dodging bullets, but it seems like we dodged a Pea this year. But I like Pea!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Josh Hoffman is a bit of a bullet dodged in hindsight. We could have used him at the time but are much better off with BMoz.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Speaking of bullets dodged, why confine the list to players? Ricky Stuart almost signed on as our coach. That's not just dodging a bullet, that's dodging a platoon load of artillery!

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Speaking of bullets dodged, why confine the list to players? Ricky Stuart almost signed on as our coach. That's not just dodging a bullet, that's dodging a platoon load of artillery!
We never approached Ricky Stuart to coach us. That's why Ricky is also dirty with our club.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Josh Hoffman is a bit of a bullet dodged in hindsight. We could have used him at the time but are much better off with BMoz.
I remember everyone on here blowing a load over him and how he would score so many trys from our offloads etc lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think the courier mail blasted him after he made about 3 metres in an early season game and he has put a more respectable effort in since then. Still he is overpaid and had to be told he needs to make more than 3 metres a game. Still a big bullet dodged IMO... A big slow lazy one.

Imagine T Rex and Blair in the same side. Damn that's a lot of wasted cap space!
I remember seeing that in the match stats haha.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We never approached Ricky Stuart to coach us. That's why Ricky is also dirty with our club.
I thought we at least had preliminary talks. I wonder if we would have entered talks if Des didn't show up on the horizon. Maybe that bullet wasn't as close to us as it felt when it went by.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They reneged on our deal because God loves us and didn't want to punish our club

Status
Not open for further replies.