News Why Luke Thompson, perhaps the best prop in the world, can save Canterbury’s ailing season

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All that stuff should be standard in today’s age anyway. All 16 clubs should be professionally run. It’s the highest level of Rugby League in Australia.
These are extraordinary times like no one has ever experienced. So no, this is no "standard". This would have taken a lot if time and effort to arrange and make possible.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That's such bullshit. Since they have been in charge we have signed CHN, DWZ, Stimson and Thomson, as well as a few fringe graders. Given our cap situation this is actually pretty fucking good. So that old line is just not true.
No it's not good.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
These are extraordinary times like no one has ever experienced. So no, this is no "standard". This would have taken a lot if time and effort to arrange and make possible.
Read my post again. I said “should”

The NRL and all 16 clubs should be aiming at the ultimate professionalism in the modern day.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I guess recruitment success should be determined by success on the field so it's hard to label anything as a 'success' atm considering we're really not playing well.

In saying that, I've gotta agree with you that when you take into account the extroadinary restrictions on our club when it comes to the salary cap, plus the fact we're really not an attractive proposition to any new player I'm personally relatively impressed that we've managed to get those players.

I think the true test will come in the next 2-3 signings after Thompson personally. Only then will we see whether we've turned the corner.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I guess recruitment success should be determined by success on the field so it's hard to label anything as a 'success' atm considering we're really not playing well.

In saying that, I've gotta agree with you that when you take into account the extroadinary restrictions on our club when it comes to the salary cap, plus the fact we're really not an attractive proposition to any new player I'm personally relatively impressed that we've managed to get those players.

I think the true test will come in the next 2-3 signings after Thompson personally. Only then will we see whether we've turned the corner.
They will be higher quality players, hopefully.

CHN and DWZ were good buys. After that it's below average players when you compare them to other NRL teams. Napa wasn't a good buy for what we're paying him. We've basically only signed rejects and opportunists. There is an asterisk on Thompson as he's unproven in the NRL and we're going to be paying a hefty amount.

Recruitment needs to be judged by what line-up we roll out round one 2021. We need another three to four signings.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Stimson - fat useless ****
CHN - multiple warnings from club, dick in pussy, sacked.
Britt - his dad played for us.
Crichton - Has a more athletic, talented brother. We signed the shit one.
JMK - refused to up out offer to other hooking targets because we had him.
DWZ - good player but we signed him to play fullback and his salary likely reflects that.

I could go on but I can't be fucked. Recruitment has been shit and if you think otherwise your expectations are far too low. Signed a bunch of rejects in hope of one coming good instead of aggressively recruiting a key target.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

CHN and DWZ were good buys. After that it's below average players when you compare them to other NRL teams. Napa wasn't a good buy for what we're paying him. We've basically only signed rejects and opportunists. There are asterisks on Thompson as he's unproven in the NRL and we're going to be paying a hefty amount.
I'm still on the fence about Napa. Hasn't set the place on fire like I had hoped, but hasn't been an absolute loss. Personally think that he's been quite a bit better than woods judging from the little I've seen but what people have said.

Asterisks? There's asterisks on every player. All the club can do is do their homework and buy someone with talent which he clearly has. Before our interest Thompson was regarded by most as to being one of the best props in the business. I don't think we can ask more of the club in this case.

The rest? Agree. Not fantastic but the players he listed imo were good pickups which I really don't think can be denied.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Stimson - fat useless c***
CHN - multiple warnings from club, dick in pussy, sacked.
Britt - his dad played for us.
Crichton - Has a more athletic, talented brother. We signed the shit one.
JMK - refused to up out offer to other hooking targets because we had him.
DWZ - good player but we signed him to play fullback and his salary likely reflects that.

I could go on but I can't be fucked. Recruitment has been shit and if you think otherwise your expectations are far too low. Signed a bunch of rejects in hope of one coming good instead of aggressively recruiting a key target.
My expectations are low simply because I'm being realistic as to what we could buy.

Perhaps your expectations simply aren't realistic?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
My expectations are low simply because I'm being realistic as to what we could buy.

Perhaps your expectations simply aren't realistic?
My expectations are absolutely realistic. We signed all these rejects on overs trying to get lucky? Why? Target a key recruit and just use the depth we had available. Perfect example is Burr, no worse than what we had and WANTED to stay and was happy to be on minimum wage yet we said no and went to the market.

All this coin adds up and could've been the difference from us nailing a signing like Api, Robson, etc and not. We didn't recruit smartly at all but some of you have been so distracted by the propaganda dished out by the board that some of you can't even see this.

Doesn't matter now, we're in a situation where we have more money than other clubs and if they still can't get their shit sorted then that absolutely has to be it. But I have a sneaky feeling they will lift their game now and actually get on the front foot as a the excuses are gone.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My expectations are absolutely realistic. We signed all these rejects on overs trying to get lucky? Why? Target a key recruit and just use the depth we had available. Perfect example is Burr, no worse than what we had and WANTED to stay and was happy to be on minimum wage yet we said no and went to the market.

All this coin adds up and could've been the difference from us nailing a signing like Api, Robson, etc and not. We didn't recruit smartly at all but some of you have been so distracted by the propaganda dished out by the board that some of you can't even see this.

Doesn't matter now, we're in a situation where we have more money than other clubs and if they still can't get their shit sorted then that absolutely has to be it. But I have a sneaky feeling they will lift their game now and actually get on the front foot as a the excuses are gone.
I must say Sancho. I envy your insight into every situation as you truly do know it all ...

Without doubt the club has made mistakes. I still don't get what happened to the hooker situation, especially when we signed Katoa and he hasn't even got a look in when our current hooker really hasn't been doing much at all. I'm not going to judge Stimson on 3 games. Let's see how he progresses. Britt people were lauding him in the preseason. Hasn't done well the last few games. He's been rubbish. But I'm not going to write him off.

These guys weren't high profile purchases, but they never were going to be. The club was clear in their approach to signing new players, never hid from the fact they'd be scraping such signings in the hope they'd turn out well. I honestly don't know what else you expect?

Some of you have been so distracted by the propaganda dished out by your own arseholes that some of you can't even see this ....

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

CHN and DWZ were good buys. After that it's below average players when you compare them to other NRL teams. Napa wasn't a good buy for what we're paying him. We've basically only signed rejects and opportunists. There is an asterisk on Thompson as he's unproven in the NRL and we're going to be paying a hefty amount.

Recruitment needs to be judged by what line-up we roll out round one 2021. We need another three to four signings.
There's no asteroid whatsoever in my opinion. This guy is all class. He will kill it for us.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
There's no asteroid whatsoever in my opinion. This guy is all class. He will kill it for us.
Thompson has to kill it for us with his price tag. I hope he does. There is 100% an asterisk for the reasons I've stated. Unproven in the NRL and he has to perform up to the same level (if not even better) as the best props in the league due to his price tag.

chrise186

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree but check out his highlights

How many tries does the bloke scores a prop and hitting the line at Pace as well as hitting holes in the defence.
Pretty excited about this bloke
Thompson has to kill it for us with his price tag. I hope he does. There is 100% an asterisk for the reasons I've stated. Unproven in the NRL and he has to perform up to the same level (if not even better) as the best props in the league due to his price tag.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Agree but check out his highlights

How many tries does the bloke scores a prop and hitting the line at Pace as well as hitting holes in the defence.
Pretty excited about this bloke
I agree and I think he'll be a good buy, all I'm saying is there are a few asterisks regarding him :P . I'm excited to see him playing in ~1 month.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Love how this thread that’s dedicated to us signing one of, if not the best prop in the world has been tarnished by the usual window lickers having a whinge about recruitment lol.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
at least he's fast, has footwork, has a pass in him and can he can find the try line.
I know alot of people won't be keen on Elliot ball playing... But with Thompsons explosiveness and good support play, I think the two could form a nice little combo in the middle third