News Why it’s time for Cameron Ciraldo to pull trigger on big Bulldogs’ change

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We train very hard in the off season then we play trials to give us an indication to select in the top 17.
By the 2nd round we should be able to work out who the best players are in their rightful positions,
If we don't then we have big problems...Brave decisions needs to be made !
The team that won against the titans was the team. I still dont understand why change a winning side, Wilson absolutely killed it and you take him off for an injured foxx? Like you’re gifting the opposition the 2 points. Wilson would have had Wighton covered

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We train very hard in the off season then we play trials to give us an indication to select in the top 17.
By the 2nd round we should be able to work out who the best players are in their rightful positions,
If we don't then we have big problems...Brave decisions needs to be made !
D-v I've noticed this is a big departure from your usual take. You must be concerned.

We can surely do more now towards becoming a complete team. Ciro must start the transition towards putting the best available players, in best positions, with best bench minutes to share the load.

Time to take the training wheels off? :grinning:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Crichton hasnt done enough to replace Taaffe. Crichton is a centre...period. He has been tried as a fullback in previous teams and failed miserably.
The problem we have is the ball distribution at the right times. The halves are not cutting it.
I would have Sexton and Burton as halves and Hutchison as 14.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can build on defence.
You only have to look at the Titans to see that you can't build on attack.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was there on Friday. I'm a big Critta fan, but he needs to go looking for work and turn and chase when his edge misses. That second wighton try pissed me off, watching him give up when johnston went around us

Not to mention the Burton break he initiated with that pass, then did nothing

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I was there on Friday. I'm a big Critta fan, but he needs to go looking for work and turn and chase when his edge misses. That second wighton try pissed me off, watching him give up when johnston went around us

So far he has been a good capt but if he wants to be a great Bulldog capt he needs to lead by example. He has been fairly uninvolved so far, from what he produced at Pennies.

No we aren't Penrith. Not even close but he needs to make sure he gets the ball and is also first defender there in cover.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no guarantee that if we move Critta to fullback that he'll kill it there and it certainly won't solve all of our problems. We need to get him more ball for sure but Kikau has gotten a lot of touches.

I doubt Taaffe gets dropped or that Ciraldo makes major changes, especially when Taaffe probably had his best game against Souths. I'd like to see Tracey at fullback soon as I think he'd offer a lot more there..
Yes I think Tracey at FB, Taffe at HB. Hutch is far too slow does not have the creativity to setup the try Taffe did against Souths. Surely Xerri has to come in at centre and Kiraz switch to Tracey's wing spot.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stephen Crichton was not signed by the Canterbury Bulldogs to play at centre.

He might be one of the NRL's most talented centres, proving it time and time again during his stint at the Penrith Panthers, but that's not why Cameron Ciraldo and the Bulldogs signed him.

It's not why they named him as club captain in his first year at Belmore either. In fact, when Canterbury put out their surprise statement naming Crichton as skipper for the new campaign, it was revealed his likely spot at fullback was a big part of the reason why the call was made.

And yet, four weeks into the new season, Crichton hasn't had a look in away from the three-quarters in a side who have won a single game against the horrific Gold Coast Titans, and lost the rest against the Parramatta Eels, Cronulla Sharks and now the South Sydney Rabbitohs on Good Friday.

While there is little doubt the Bulldogs were better on Good Friday in that loss to the Rabbitohs, particularly defensively where only small sections of the game cost them, their attack is still struggling to find another gear.

Yes, they put 32 points on the Titans in Round 3, but outside of that, Canterbury have only managed to score 30 points across their other three games.

Four weeks is a more than fair sample size when it comes to team selections and attempting to ascertain what is, and more importantly, isn't working.

The Bulldogs are far from the biggest basket case in the competition right now given the state of the Titans, but that doesn't mean there aren't things they should be looking at changing.

And the most glaring of those is putting Stephen Crichton at fullback.

In four games, Crichton has scored just a single try, assisted only one more and touched the ball a grand total of 68 times at just 17 per game.

Only seven tackle breaks, two offloads and a single game over 150 running metres continue to highlight exactly how uninvolved Crichton is as the club's supposed best attacking weapon sitting at centre.

It's not to say Crichton is a gurantee of working at fullback, but the Bulldogs made a number of big recruitment calls over the off-season, and to this stage, it's arguable to say they aren't working

One and three is a record which would have most teams staring down the barrel of missing the finals, and while Canterbury were never expected to make them this season externally, internally, it was a different story.

Ciraldo is into his second season as head coach, and director of football Phil Gould has just about completely ripped up the squad and reset it since he first arrived.

That means it's time for results, and if the Bulldogs can't get them, then radical and immediate changes are needed.

Blake Taaffe has been far from poor or the worst Bulldog on the field over the opening rounds, but that shouldn't really come into it. If the Bulldogs have spent so much of their salary cap on Crichton with the idea of him playing fullback because he is one of the NRL's best attacking weapons, then that is exactly where he should be playing moving forward as you build your team around him, even if it doesn't bring with it an immediate change of luck and fortunes.

Whether there is a role for Taaffe if he isn't at fullback is disputable, but again, it simply doesn't matter. Canterbury must build their side around their most dangerous playing lining up in the key position at the back.

Taaffe likely couldn't play in the centres, but there is the potential of a halves spot being up for grabs. Drew Hutchison is the other change Canterbury likely need to consider given his lack of impact and effectiveness over the opening round.

Statistically, he looks as if his output has been solid enough, but the points on the scoreboard is where a halfback must be judged.

Whether Taaffe is a contender for the number seven jersey remains to be seen, with Toby Sexton the likely front-runner if Ciraldo does make the call to chop and change in the halves.

That said, Ciraldo will likely be hesitant to make two changes to his spine in the same week, particularly given he will also need to replace Josh Addo-Carr (concussion) and Jacob Preston(fractured jaw) heading into their Round 5 clash with the Sydney Roosters at home on Friday evening.

But if it doesn't happen this week, it can't be all that far away unless the Bulldogs suddenly make big changes to the way they are attacking, with tangible results popping up on the scoreboard.

The dispute over the one and seven should be easy enough to make a call on eventually, but not as easy as replacing Crichton, with Bronson Xerrimore than ready for a call up into Canterbury's centres. He impressed during the pre-season challenge and was one of the more unlucky players around the competition to not feature over the opening rounds.

It's now time for his power, size and strength to come into the side, allowing Crichton's switch to one, with the team being built around that.

Canterbury need to pull the band-aid off in a hurry, because 2024 is starting to look an awful lot like 2023, and other recent seasons full of struggles and poor results.
I started a thread a few weeks ago regarding how Critta is being wasted outside of Kikau and his stat's back that up. We don't need a strong attacking left centre, just someone solid that does his job, Kikau does the rest. We need to put Critta at fullback so he touches the ball more, it's plain and simple if our attack was to improve and if we are going to get full value out of Critta.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started a thread a few weeks ago regarding how Critta is being wasted outside of Kikau and his stat's back that up. We don't need a strong attacking left centre, just someone solid that does his job, Kikau does the rest. We need to put Critta at fullback so he touches the ball more, it's plain and simple if our attack was to improve and if we are going to get full value out of Critta.
I’ll be deeply upset if ciraldo doesn’t tweek the team and keeps persisting with same combinations.
Our defence is keeping us in the contest our hands are failing us badly as well as execution .

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Question: Fact, or near enough fact, or just looks that way....are we the worst team for catching/passing/losing possession for near on 10 years or what?
With no data to back me up I would still confidently say yes.
Yes we are.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’ll be deeply upset if ciraldo doesn’t tweek the team and keeps persisting with same combinations.
Our defence is keeping us in the contest our hands are failing us badly as well as execution .
If he does change it up and injects some variety, it wont be till Knights game no doubt.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, I'd be pissed if he sticks with the same team

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone even know if Crichton has the fitness levels to play fullback ?

He had a limited pre season and has barely played any NRL there.

He was decent in the World Cup but that’s hardly a genuine sample size.
pretty sure he played centre at world cup then 6 at end of season tri nations

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The team that won against the titans was the team. I still dont understand why change a winning side, Wilson absolutely killed it and you take him off for an injured foxx? Like you’re gifting the opposition the 2 points. Wilson would have had Wighton covered
Agree I wondered if the team thought the group should have been rewarded for the next week.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Worrying sign for me was the start of the press conference. He was joking around and upbeat. Cirro was pissed and was not happy. Probably losing focus and accepting losing already. Watch his form go down the shitter like all the decent players we've signed in the last 7 years.