News Why forgotten Dog is not rushing to leave the kennel despite snub

altair

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Forgotten Bulldog Rhyse Martin won’t look to rush out of the Belmore kennel despite being overlooked by Canterbury coach Dean Pay.

Martin’s manager Sam Ayoub told foxsports.com.au there is interest from other NRL clubs, but he won’t begin entertaining any options for “another six or seven rounds (of the season)”.

Ayoub says it would be “insanity” to begin contract negotiations after one game of the season, and merely because his client was not selected in first grade.

His comments come after league legend Mark Geyer warned rival clubs will begin sniffing around the talented forward if the Bulldogs continue to give him the cold shoulder.

Geyer suggested both the Dragons and Eels could use the player’s services immediately.

Martin and Ayoub had to fight for a new deal last year when it looked like Canterbury’s salary cap squeeze was going to force the Papua New Guinea World Cup representative out.

The Bulldogs eventually secured Martin on a one-year deal, but he remains off contract this year and is free to negotiate with rivals.

The agile backrower - who became a cult hero of sorts after making his NRL debut last year - has been left out of Pay’s side for the opening two rounds of the season.

Pay hasn’t spoken about the omission and hasn’t returned phone calls from foxsports.com.au in recent weeks.

The snub of Martin has been a point of anger for blue and white fans, who have widely slammed the decision to snub the man many believed to be one of the club’s best players in 2018 despite only playing half the season.

He’s been overlooked for the likes of captain Josh Jackson, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, and recruit Corey Harawira-Naera. Last week Martin ran for more metres in reserve grade than every forward in the NRL side bar Aiden Tolman.

Pay has opted to run out an unchanged 17 in Round 2 despite being towelled up by the Warriors in a record Round 1 loss.

Ayoub also brushed off as “laughable” a report claiming Martin’s snub was a result of him returning to pre-season unfit, and getting offside with coaching staff.

The agent is confident Martin will be selected in the NRL side before too long, and is hoping they can then begin to negotiate a new deal

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
My gut feeling is that he is already gone
Yes it's playing out with the familiar words and scenarios we've all heard before. Can this club ever settle.

[emoji444]Dumb, dumb, dumb another bites the dust. And another one's gone, and another one's gone, another one bites the dust [emoji445]

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hopefully Pay plays him, he was developing a great partnership with Lewis.

Almost as good as another famous Martin and Lewis combination...

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's like his manager is saying "stop calling me, the prick has signed with the Cowboys" lol
I’d say it’s the manager saying, “shit we haven’t had as many offers as I thought” better get his name in the news more to receive some better offers

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ayoub is right that a few clubs could use Martins services this year as they are thin on forwards.

Hopefully win or lose Pay makes some better decisions about who is selected in the 17.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I’d say it’s the manager saying, “shit we haven’t had as many offers as I thought” better get his name in the news more to receive some better offers
That can work too.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Martin's form last year warranted a round 1 top 17 selection, in fact it's a no brainer! Something's weird about him not being selected and tbh I don't like it.

Wholetthedogsout

Waterboy
Reaction score
Martin's form last year warranted a round 1 top 17 selection, in fact it's a no brainer! Something's weird about him not being selected and tbh I don't like it.
Yeah im thinking theres something going on there. Maybe theres a personality clash or attitudinal issue.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
According to the dragpoofs forums, we're looking to swap him with their reserves hooker.

ibby

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Pay is a Gronk throw Elliot out and put him in I don’t know what the hell he see’s in Elliot his so shit and in effective Martin all day and he is almost a guarantee 2 points when he kicks.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The article to me reads ‘he can’t get big offers from reserve grade, I’ll wait 6 more weeks for him to possibly make first so my commission is bigger’. Agents are scum making a dollar from other people’s talents

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just shows pay has his favourites,based on his form late last year martin should have been starting,jacko to lock ffs everyone can see this except for our coach

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know your team is doing it tough when fans stress over Martin as if he's the next immortal