News Why Canterbury Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo must accept criticism of his own performance

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking media different story every time.
First he had to wrestle 8 players, then 12 players another article said 20, now this **** is saying he wrestle the entire top 30, what’s next wrestle the entire club.
Cameron rounded up all the citizens of old Belmore town and had them flog the poor boy until he was red raw!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Willie Mason should not be making any comments saying the players are too soft if they can't handle the schudule, its very hypocritical

in 2007 he didn't show up to team events, the club fined him then he broke contract to join the roosters and he trashed steve folkes on the way out saying he was a dud and that he never learnt anything off him, he was one of the main reasons for the club to change course and change its culture

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What a complete moron that halfwit Willie Mason is.
He’s employed by the club yet thinks it’s ok to put shit on bulldogs players
Regardless of whether u think it’s true, he should have kept his trap shut. Mason is an idiot.
You can't put shit on someone if you don't name them. There is a media beat-up dragging the club through the mud, and threatening to engulf it. Willie was simply replying to a question being thrown up, and trying to add a bit of perspective to the situation.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Source Daily Telegraph
Paul Crawley

Why Canterbury Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo must accept criticism of his own performance | Daily Telegraph
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo needs to look in the mirror before coming out and bagging his players the next time he feels the need to justify his own lack of results.

At what point will the rookie NRL coach point the finger at himself and concede the Bulldogs have gone backwards on his watch this season?

As for Willie Mason labelling some players “f.....g soft as s..t” for daring to raise concerns they are being trained too hard, Mason’s unprofessional response on a podcast this week only further highlights how the Bulldogs’ coaching staff seem to have absolved themselves from any blame in respect to the team’s dreadful on-field performances.

Given Mason is on the Bulldogs’ payroll, it was simply outrageous.

If any other assistant at another NRL club came out and attacked his own players in this disrespectful manner, chances are they would be looking for a new job before the day was out.

But at the Bulldogs, under the current regime, it is obviously acceptable behaviour.

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has been very vocal on the shortcomings of his playing group. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has been very vocal on the shortcomings of his playing group. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers
It only makes it more concerning when you factor in the explosive allegations of the extreme punishment handed out to a young player for turning up to training a few minutes late.

How in the world anyone in this day and age could think making any player wrestle the entire top-30 squad “apart from the injured guys” is fair punishment has to be a huge concern for the management at every level of the game.

The player has not returned to training since with concerns over his mental welfare.

As one player who saw the incident speaking on the condition of anonymity told this masthead: “After it happened, I thought ‘what the f*** was that’. It was pretty ordinary.”

And even though the player’s name has not been released by the club or media, it has not stopped a wildfire of speculation on social media to try and expose him.

How this young man comes back from this remains to be seen.

But the NRL certainly cannot sit back and allow this not to be fully investigated.

If the allegations are proven then extreme punishment of a different nature needs to be executed on those responsible.

Make no mistake, the claims have left experienced people around the game gobsmacked.

Treatment that borders on physical and emotional abuse is not acceptable in any work environment. It should also not be acceptable in the NRL.

Yes, it is professional sport.

But how would any parent feel/react if their boy or girl was subjected to such humiliating punishment?

Would you want to send your kid to the Bulldogs after hearing this?

And we are entitled to question if Ciraldo would react as calmly as he did in his media conference this week if it was his own child forced to endure the same discipline.

It also defies belief that, on one hand, Ciraldo and Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould have refused to address the specific allegations due to the sensitive nature of the issue.

Yet, in the next breath, both doubled down on Ciraldo’s hardcore training methods and the need to toughen up the Bulldogs’ current culture.

Gould also referenced that the player continued to train for another week, which could be seen as implying this wasn’t the big deal it was being made out to be.

Outspoken Bulldogs assistant Willie Mason. Picture: Damian Shaw
“There are some exaggerations and some embellishments,” Gould claimed on his podcast.

Yet at no point has Gould put the blowtorch on the job Ciraldo has done this year.

There is just no hiding from the fact the Bulldogs are playing worse now than they did last year under interim coach Mick Potter. That is despite Ciraldo having a better roster to work with.

And while the Bulldogs won’t finish with the wooden spoon this year, few would argue that on current form they are the NRL’s worst performing team.

For the Bulldogs to be conceding on average 32 points a game – and playing with such a lack of enthusiasm and commitment – is as alarming an indication of the methods Ciraldo and his coaching staff are employing as it is the so-called lack of culture and toughness within the playing group.

Even if a team can’t challenge for the premiership, fans at least expect to see them go out and have a go.

But it is like Ciraldo has arrived from his assistant role at the Panthers coaching the back-to-back premiers and just expects to implement the same standards and the players will rise to the challenge.

Experienced coaches will tell you it just doesn’t work that way. It takes time to get to those levels. In between it is also the coach’s job to find a way to get his players performing to their existing potential. On that front Ciraldo needs to own up to his part of what has gone wrong at the Bulldogs this year.

NRL
1. "Canterbury Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo must accept criticism of his own performance" - he has a point.
"Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo needs to look in the mirror before coming out and bagging his players..." - I agree.
A more detailed explanation of that premise here -> Lynchpin said: [Hey Crawley, no charge for the mirror metaphor...this time.]

2. "making any player wrestle the entire top-30 squad..." - really? This is the focus of faux outrage? I would think this kind of thing is stock-standard across most professional football teams (across all the various codes around the world). Any professional athlete (that is going to succeed) would not balk at facing that "punishment" head-on; to see it as a challenge and an opportunity to deliver a massive "F#ck You" moment and earn the respect of peers and coaches.

BUT, that's not what I think is happening here. I don't think for a moment the player in question doesn't train hard, doesn't want to put in, or doesn't have what it takes - quite the opposite.

I have an alternate theory, entirely speculation, but based on how Ciraldo has mismanaged his selections (my opinion only) since he first arrived (starting with Perham of Averillo in pre-season - what a Cluster-F#(k that turned into).

I think the response to the "punishment" has more to do with it being selectively applied, only applicable to players not on the favoured list of Coach Ciraldo (or the coaching group in general).

If the speculation is accurate about which player it is, then we're talking about a solid clubman, one that's put in when called upon (not often enough), hasn't complained, has been consistently passed over by worse performers with less potential, selected out of position and then scapegoated when results don't go the team's way.

Meanwhile, lesser talents are continually selected, held to account only under duress; several times now, the coach has fallen over himself to re-select underperformers (that he likes - for some unknown reason), despite unacceptable performances, and even after the Coach has publicly called them out. Just one last chance (again) at the expense of others that cannot be scapegoated fast enough. It's a strange way to attempt to build trust and accountability; no wonder we are where we're at, as a team. This is what you engineered. This is what you got.

3. "Given Mason is on the Bulldogs’ payroll, it was simply outrageous." - yeah, whatever. This is just a cheap shot. A distraction. Maybe he shouldn't be saying it publicly. Maybe he's perfectly entitled to. Who cares.

4. "Ciraldo’s hardcore training methods and the need to toughen up the Bulldogs’ current culture." - this is a given. All the fans expect this.

BUT, it must be done in the right way. EVERYONE (including, perhaps especially, the coach) must be held to the same standards.
[Attempted] Blameshifting onto the players (and yes, they bear a significant portion of responsibility), especially publicly is not going to turn this culture around. If anything, it will perpetuate it. The culture of cutting corners, blaming others, and not raising standards TOGETHER, is exactly the culture that has this club ("Us"), where we are.

Ciraldo needs to be better. Simple. I hope he can be.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Btw...
As one player who saw the incident speaking on the condition of anonymity told this masthead
Whenever I see the word "Masthead", my brain immediately replaces it with the word "Wanker".

"Masthead"? Get F#(ked!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If the player turned up on time for the training we wouldnt be talking about this now.

It is as simple as that.

You scared of tough physical nature of punishment, Fucken turn up on time or piss off!

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I support Ciraldo 100%.
The wrestling incident seems ike fair game. Suspect fringe players are using it as a weapon - I imagine this sort of stuff goes on at other clubs?

Of course Ciraldo will be reflecting and learning. He is smart. He might be trying to impose Premiership winning standards faster than our pack of losing culture players can handle. That's possible. Frustrating, but possible.

The one part that is true is that we have gone backwards despite spending $ millions. That's disappointing and does point to the coaching staff.
Can't remember the Dogs regularly leaking 40 points per game. Ever.

A lot will be learned by how the team plays this weekend. The players will make their statement in that game.
We are in a tough time. And we will come out of it smarter and stronger.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My.God.
‘Disrespectful’, ‘Outrageous’.
What is the world coming to when you can’t call out and/or demand better results from highly paid employees. Can’t hack it? Get an easier and lower paid job, no problem and good luck.
I do agree but if there was previous signs of mental issues then it is a different story.

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’d focus on getting the leaks plugged and ensure the scribblers get nothing. They’ll still write crap but then it’s just egg on their face like the Tino pub story. That’s greater satisfaction than any pursuit for money. If we keep our eyes on the game we’ll have the last laugh!
That's why we need Adam Elliot back to Belmore. He was a master at 'plugging holes'...

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Btw...

Whenever I see the word "Masthead", my brain immediately replaces it with the word "Wanker".

"Masthead"? Get F#(ked!
I get the feeling these so called journo’s are all adding the word “Masthead” these days as some form of subtle disclaimer, like don’t blame them if it’s false or incorrect information because the informations not coming from them, it’s coming from the masthead, and good luck finding out who that is if you want to sue anybody for some reason.

From what I’ve Googled, in publishing a masthead is a list at the top of a page that includes the names of all the editors, writers, and owners, as well as the title of the newspaper or magazine. Apparently you find the masthead on one of the first few pages.

So that makes it hard to really pinpoint who the original source was, if asked the question, the answer to where the original information came from can be be pushed from pillar to post, was it him her the owner, who knows, which goes a long way towards protecting the writer ..

Someone smarter than me would know and probably be able to explain it better …

Jmo.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Source Daily Telegraph
Paul Crawley

Why Canterbury Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo must accept criticism of his own performance | Daily Telegraph
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo needs to look in the mirror before coming out and bagging his players the next time he feels the need to justify his own lack of results.

At what point will the rookie NRL coach point the finger at himself and concede the Bulldogs have gone backwards on his watch this season?

As for Willie Mason labelling some players “f.....g soft as s..t” for daring to raise concerns they are being trained too hard, Mason’s unprofessional response on a podcast this week only further highlights how the Bulldogs’ coaching staff seem to have absolved themselves from any blame in respect to the team’s dreadful on-field performances.

Given Mason is on the Bulldogs’ payroll, it was simply outrageous.

If any other assistant at another NRL club came out and attacked his own players in this disrespectful manner, chances are they would be looking for a new job before the day was out.

But at the Bulldogs, under the current regime, it is obviously acceptable behaviour.

It only makes it more concerning when you factor in the explosive allegations of the extreme punishment handed out to a young player for turning up to training a few minutes late.

How in the world anyone in this day and age could think making any player wrestle the entire top-30 squad “apart from the injured guys” is fair punishment has to be a huge concern for the management at every level of the game.

The player has not returned to training since with concerns over his mental welfare.

As one player who saw the incident speaking on the condition of anonymity told this masthead: “After it happened, I thought ‘what the f*** was that’. It was pretty ordinary.”

And even though the player’s name has not been released by the club or media, it has not stopped a wildfire of speculation on social media to try and expose him.

How this young man comes back from this remains to be seen.

But the NRL certainly cannot sit back and allow this not to be fully investigated.

If the allegations are proven then extreme punishment of a different nature needs to be executed on those responsible.

Make no mistake, the claims have left experienced people around the game gobsmacked.

Treatment that borders on physical and emotional abuse is not acceptable in any work environment. It should also not be acceptable in the NRL.

Yes, it is professional sport.

But how would any parent feel/react if their boy or girl was subjected to such humiliating punishment?

Would you want to send your kid to the Bulldogs after hearing this?

And we are entitled to question if Ciraldo would react as calmly as he did in his media conference this week if it was his own child forced to endure the same discipline.

It also defies belief that, on one hand, Ciraldo and Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould have refused to address the specific allegations due to the sensitive nature of the issue.

Yet, in the next breath, both doubled down on Ciraldo’s hardcore training methods and the need to toughen up the Bulldogs’ current culture.

Gould also referenced that the player continued to train for another week, which could be seen as implying this wasn’t the big deal it was being made out to be.

“There are some exaggerations and some embellishments,” Gould claimed on his podcast.

Yet at no point has Gould put the blowtorch on the job Ciraldo has done this year.

There is just no hiding from the fact the Bulldogs are playing worse now than they did last year under interim coach Mick Potter. That is despite Ciraldo having a better roster to work with.

And while the Bulldogs won’t finish with the wooden spoon this year, few would argue that on current form they are the NRL’s worst performing team.

For the Bulldogs to be conceding on average 32 points a game – and playing with such a lack of enthusiasm and commitment – is as alarming an indication of the methods Ciraldo and his coaching staff are employing as it is the so-called lack of culture and toughness within the playing group.

Even if a team can’t challenge for the premiership, fans at least expect to see them go out and have a go.

But it is like Ciraldo has arrived from his assistant role at the Panthers coaching the back-to-back premiers and just expects to implement the same standards and the players will rise to the challenge.

Experienced coaches will tell you it just doesn’t work that way. It takes time to get to those levels. In between it is also the coach’s job to find a way to get his players performing to their existing potential. On that front Ciraldo needs to own up to his part of what has gone wrong at the Bulldogs this year.

NRL
Fuck of Paul Crawley!! That first paragraph was enough for me!! Not once have I heard ciraldo bag his players! He suggested that our culture 8s not there yet, and that the team has been disapointing. I don't doubt ciraldos character one bit!

tuggersdog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Fucking media different story every time.
First he had to wrestle 8 players, then 12 players another article said 20, now this **** is saying he wrestle the entire top 30, what’s next wrestle the entire club.
30 plus the WWE raw roster

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Paul Crawleys brother 'Mick' is assistant coach at the Raiders and his brother Steve Crawley is the executive at Fox Sports. No wonder Ricky never cops any criticism from the media. Not one opinion piece is written about him.

When Ricky labeled Salmon "A weak gutted dog" . There was nothing at all written about him by the Telegraph and Fox news.

Infact Kent came out to support him. It's great to have friends in the media.

View attachment 80722
Pretty obvious where the Murdoch press agenda comes from now against us. The Crawleys....Murdoch's version of the Sutton bros.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I get the feeling these so called journo’s are all adding the word “Masthead” these days as some form of subtle disclaimer, like don’t blame them if it’s false or incorrect information because the informations not coming from them, it’s coming from the masthead, and good luck finding out who that is if you want to sue anybody for some reason.

From what I’ve Googled, in publishing a masthead is a list at the top of a page that includes the names of all the editors, writers, and owners, as well as the title of the newspaper or magazine. Apparently you find the masthead on one of the first few pages.

So that makes it hard to really pinpoint who the original source was, if asked the question, the answer to where the original information came from can be be pushed from pillar to post, was it him her the owner, who knows, which goes a long way towards protecting the writer ..

Someone smarter than me would know and probably be able to explain it better …

Jmo.
I think it has more to do with self-adulation, of wanting to imply prestige where none exists, than protecting themselves from any liability.

These clowns know that they're nothing more than parasitic gossips. Calling themselves a "Masthead" is nothing more than a self-administered overdose of 'Copium'.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
If the player turned up on time for the training we wouldnt be talking about this now.

It is as simple as that.

You scared of tough physical nature of punishment, Fucken turn up on time or piss off!
i was once late to work because centenary drive was fucked with all lanes closed and there was no way out, if they tried to humiliate me over it i would have quit and hated them for it

what is the line? if his punishment was a gangbang ass fucking from the squad then im sure we would say they have crossed the line, so there must be a line

ass fucking - not acceptable
strip player down naked and put a butt plug up his ass - not acceptable
THE LINE
12 on 1 wrestling while he is injured - acceptable

R0CKY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Do we know who was having the whinge and turned up late to training?