News Why Canterbury Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo must accept criticism of his own performance

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I support Ciraldo trying to harden up the squad and weed out the weaker players, and hope Ciraldo turns the club around next year.

I don't agree with most of what's said in that article, but the coach of any team in any sport should also be looking at their own performance to see how they could have handled things better (not in relation to this BS story but the season itself) or how they can improve as a coach. A coach should always be evolving and learning. Hopefully Ciraldo learns a lot from this year... The point is, everyone needs to improve and lift their game, including all of the coaches.
100%

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Crawley you fucken spanner. When you’ve done what Mase, Ogre, Bobcat and Zap have done, you’ve earned the right to criticize those not meeting a minimum standard.
But, they are old school & out of touch with the man children of this world.

:tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The telegraph clowns is really trying to pile it on us. 100% hit pieces to scare other players from signing with us

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fucking media different story every time.
First he had to wrestle 8 players, then 12 players another article said 20, now this **** is saying he wrestle the entire top 30, what’s next wrestle the entire club.
I heard that the final straw was when that player had to wrestle John Khoury and he lost. That’s why he was so distraught.

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have a confession to make... I also wrestled the player and performed a squirrel grip on him. He was particularly upset by this and, whilst I did apologise afterwards, I may have questioned his manhood at some point.

For complete clarity (and I have now leaked the details to Rothfield and Crawley) other people who wrestled the player after my turn were Terry Lamb, Ron Coote, Donald Trump, the Pope and Elvis Presley. Please stand by for further updates in the Daily Telegraph today.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strangest thing is we recruited the most abysmal in the middles and front row leading into 2024.
If we come out starting like a sinking ship to start 2024 the writing will be on the wall.
All I know is, I will be very surprised if our club can sustain ongoing hits to the bulldogs brand moving forward.

My biggest concern is I have faith in what coach wants to do,but this is the time senior group need to pull the younger ones and as a group tow a line of hard work.
The fact Mahooney and Burton miss so many tackles isnt helping the team.
More than anything doggies need a pillar of strength and need a leader.
I hope this is gonna be a turning point for the bulldogs .
A positive one at least

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gives a good overview of the counter argument and one which the majority here will choose to ignore whilst continuing to bury their heads in the sand.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I want to see a 3-way wrestle between Gould, Drunkfield and Cruewly

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Crawley looks like the inside of a sausage roll, bloke has so many contradictions in everything he says, physical abuse in a game that’s built on physical abuse of the body. He didn’t write this when all the bronco’s were whinging about how hard kevie was working them 2 yrs ago, now he’s applauding the broncos for where they are. If you put a walnut in that chair on 360 in sure people wouldn’t know the difference and think he was still there.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Source Daily Telegraph
Paul Crawley

Why Canterbury Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo must accept criticism of his own performance | Daily Telegraph
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo needs to look in the mirror before coming out and bagging his players the next time he feels the need to justify his own lack of results.

At what point will the rookie NRL coach point the finger at himself and concede the Bulldogs have gone backwards on his watch this season?

As for Willie Mason labelling some players “f.....g soft as s..t” for daring to raise concerns they are being trained too hard, Mason’s unprofessional response on a podcast this week only further highlights how the Bulldogs’ coaching staff seem to have absolved themselves from any blame in respect to the team’s dreadful on-field performances.

Given Mason is on the Bulldogs’ payroll, it was simply outrageous.

If any other assistant at another NRL club came out and attacked his own players in this disrespectful manner, chances are they would be looking for a new job before the day was out.

But at the Bulldogs, under the current regime, it is obviously acceptable behaviour.

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has been very vocal on the shortcomings of his playing group. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has been very vocal on the shortcomings of his playing group. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers
It only makes it more concerning when you factor in the explosive allegations of the extreme punishment handed out to a young player for turning up to training a few minutes late.

How in the world anyone in this day and age could think making any player wrestle the entire top-30 squad “apart from the injured guys” is fair punishment has to be a huge concern for the management at every level of the game.

The player has not returned to training since with concerns over his mental welfare.

As one player who saw the incident speaking on the condition of anonymity told this masthead: “After it happened, I thought ‘what the f*** was that’. It was pretty ordinary.”

And even though the player’s name has not been released by the club or media, it has not stopped a wildfire of speculation on social media to try and expose him.

How this young man comes back from this remains to be seen.

But the NRL certainly cannot sit back and allow this not to be fully investigated.

If the allegations are proven then extreme punishment of a different nature needs to be executed on those responsible.

Make no mistake, the claims have left experienced people around the game gobsmacked.

Treatment that borders on physical and emotional abuse is not acceptable in any work environment. It should also not be acceptable in the NRL.

Yes, it is professional sport.

But how would any parent feel/react if their boy or girl was subjected to such humiliating punishment?

Would you want to send your kid to the Bulldogs after hearing this?

And we are entitled to question if Ciraldo would react as calmly as he did in his media conference this week if it was his own child forced to endure the same discipline.

It also defies belief that, on one hand, Ciraldo and Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould have refused to address the specific allegations due to the sensitive nature of the issue.

Yet, in the next breath, both doubled down on Ciraldo’s hardcore training methods and the need to toughen up the Bulldogs’ current culture.

Gould also referenced that the player continued to train for another week, which could be seen as implying this wasn’t the big deal it was being made out to be.

Outspoken Bulldogs assistant Willie Mason. Picture: Damian Shaw
Outspoken Bulldogs assistant Willie Mason. Picture: Damian Shaw
“There are some exaggerations and some embellishments,” Gould claimed on his podcast.

Yet at no point has Gould put the blowtorch on the job Ciraldo has done this year.

There is just no hiding from the fact the Bulldogs are playing worse now than they did last year under interim coach Mick Potter. That is despite Ciraldo having a better roster to work with.

And while the Bulldogs won’t finish with the wooden spoon this year, few would argue that on current form they are the NRL’s worst performing team.

For the Bulldogs to be conceding on average 32 points a game – and playing with such a lack of enthusiasm and commitment – is as alarming an indication of the methods Ciraldo and his coaching staff are employing as it is the so-called lack of culture and toughness within the playing group.

Even if a team can’t challenge for the premiership, fans at least expect to see them go out and have a go.

But it is like Ciraldo has arrived from his assistant role at the Panthers coaching the back-to-back premiers and just expects to implement the same standards and the players will rise to the challenge.

Experienced coaches will tell you it just doesn’t work that way. It takes time to get to those levels. In between it is also the coach’s job to find a way to get his players performing to their existing potential. On that front Ciraldo needs to own up to his part of what has gone wrong at the Bulldogs this year.

NRL
Now you've crapped again, who holds you responsible for polluting the environment ?
Crawl back into your Daily Tellacrap hole with your corrupted friends you stinky little turd :rage:
The minute your Evil puppet masters go bust the wold will be a better place !
I will be there celebrating them losing a billion dollars at a time.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Paul Crawley is one of the biggest fuckwits in the media. He purposely referenced Mick Potters record when the season was gone instead of using Barretts.

He also failed to mention that our season was disrupted by injuries. No balance reporting at all.

Lastly, I hope Mason unleashes on this scum bag. Nothing wrong with what Mason said, Coaches like Bellamy, Bennett, Stuart,etc have said far worse to get their players to harden up.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Crawley looks like the inside of a sausage roll, bloke has so many contradictions in everything he says, physical abuse in a game that’s built on physical abuse of the body. He didn’t write this when all the bronco’s were whinging about how hard kevie was working them 2 yrs ago, now he’s applauding the broncos for where they are. If you put a walnut in that chair on 360 in sure people wouldn’t know the difference and think he was still there.
I have never heard anyone’s appearance described as the inside of a sausage roll.

I am absolutely fucking done. That is great stuff.

Thank you.