Opinion Why Canterbury believes its utility player strategy can help get the club back on track

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Have you ever spoken to him or heard him address a room of people? I think you’d be surprised
I don’t see what that has to do with the job he’s doing at the club.

Look, you’re entitled to your view, fam… but I’m really not impressed by him so far. He has made some terrible signings (as evidenced by the fact they didn’t even see out a full year), has let some quality juniors go, and has somehow managed to make an already weak forward pack even weaker. I think some people are turning a blind eye to the mistakes he is making due to his reputation, but he really has made some howlers.

Again “I feel” and “I think” no actual facts.
You really have trouble understanding the concept of an opinion forum, don’t you? When you post your first fact on here, please let me know.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Look, you’re entitled to your view, fam… but I’m really not impressed by him so far. He has made some terrible signings (as evidenced by the fact they didn’t even see out a full year), has let some quality juniors go, and has somehow managed to make an already weak forward pack even weaker. I think some people are turning a blind eye to the mistakes he is making due to his reputation, but he really has made some howlers.

You really have trouble understanding the concept of an opinion forum, don’t you? When you post your first fact on here, please let me know.
lol so if it’s your opinion then why so much hate for a club you love?
You actually believe your opinion?
You want facts
Gus is in charge fact,
Did we struggle to buy players before Gus?
yes that fact.
Was releasing jmk, flano and Elliot a good move?
Yes , fact.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whilst all this talk about competition for spots is great. The coach traditionally picks and sticks. It’s great to cover for injury, yet I doubt without an injury we even see some of these players in grade.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
lol so if it’s your opinion then why so much hate for a club you love?
You actually believe your opinion?
You want facts
Gus is in charge fact,
Did we struggle to buy players before Gus?
yes that fact.
Was releasing jmk, flano and Elliot a good move?
Yes , fact.
Of course I believe my opinion. I don't know too many people who don't believe their own opinions.

I have shown no hate for the club. I have expressed doubts about whether the people currently running the football program and team are the best people to rebuild it and honour its legacy. Two people who seem to be going about the rebuild in a decidedly un-bulldog way of prioritising backs and utilities over forwards, and trying to copy paste the culture and identity of another club rather than looking for players who buy into this club's history and culture.

Gus is in charge. Fact. But I don't see what that adds to your argument, as I've never expressed doubt over whether Gus is in charge, I simply expressed doubt over the quality of the job he is doing.

We didn't struggle to buy players before Gus....we signed Burton, JAC, Vaughan, TPJ, Thompson and a bunch of others long before he joined us. Fact. So not only is your statement about us not being able to sign players before Gus arrived not a fact, it is complete nonsense.

As for releasing JMK, Flano, and Elliott being a good move, that again is purely your opinion... what's more, judging from the way JMK out performed Mahoney this year (and also happens to be on a lot less money), and the reality Elliott has been playing career best footy and actually bends the line (a quality our pack has been in desperate need of in recent years), I don't think it's a particularly sensible opinion. No evidence Turpin is a better backup hooker than Flano, either. Flano did well in the role for us when called upon this year.

Thank you for proving my hypothesis that you don't understand what a fact is.

Look, you're entitled to your opinions, but don't attack me for sharing my opinions on an opinion forum and try to present your own opinions as facts, because if you do that, I will show you up every time. Especially if you keep coming at me so aggressively.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Your mind is made up and you’re upset he got rid of your favourite players but if you take the the time to meet or listen to Gus you might learn a lot

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Of course I believe my opinion. I don't know too many people who don't believe their own opinions.

I have shown no hate for the club. I have expressed doubts about whether the people currently running the football program and team are the best people to rebuild it and honour its legacy. Two people who seem to be going about the rebuild in a decidedly un-bulldog way of prioritising backs and utilities over forwards, and trying to copy paste the culture and identity of another club rather than looking for players who buy into this club's history and culture.

Gus is in charge. Fact. But I don't see what that adds to your argument, as I've never expressed doubt over whether Gus is in charge, I simply expressed doubt over the quality of the job he is doing.

We didn't struggle to buy players before Gus....we signed Burton, JAC, Vaughan, TPJ, Thompson and a bunch of others long before he joined us. Fact. So not only is your statement about us not being able to sign players before Gus arrived not a fact, it is complete nonsense.

As for releasing JMK, Flano, and Elliott being a good move, that again is purely your opinion... what's more, judging from the way JMK out performed Mahoney this year (and also happens to be on a lot less money), and the reality Elliott has been playing career best footy and actually bends the line (a quality our pack has been in desperate need of in recent years), I don't think it's a particularly sensible opinion. No evidence Turpin is a better backup hooker than Flano, either. Flano did well in the role for us when called upon this year.

Look, you're entitled to your opinions, but don't attack me for sharing my opinions on an opinion forum and try to present your own opinions as facts, because if you do that, I will show you up every time. Especially if you keep coming at me so aggressively.
Your opinion is just attacking the club, and if you want to show me up go ahead let’s play ball.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Your opinion is just attacking the club, and if you want to show me up go ahead let’s play ball.
No… criticising two people who I don’t think are good for the club. If you think those two people are bigger than the club it’s you who is disrespecting the club, not me.

I don’t want to show you up, I’d prefer not to engage with you, tbh. You’re getting a bit tedious. But if you keep coming at me….

PS Bullfrog didn’t think Gus was good for the club either.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Your mind is made up and you’re upset he got rid of your favourite players but if you take the the time to meet or listen to Gus you might learn a lot
Players come and go… my issue is he is letting go of talented juniors while talking about rebuilding pathways and weakening our pack by letting go of forwards and not replacing them… let alone replacing them with players who are better. But I think my biggest issue is he recruited a rookie coach who seems to be intent on turning us into a second rate Penrith knock off for a massive five years.

I honestly think he’s a bit past it, fam. Wouldn’t be the the first great league mind the game outgrew.

but I can respect opposing views and understand some people think he’s the solution we’ve been waiting for.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You blokes need to listen to flopagain..

Don’t forget, he told everyone he’s the most astute minded one on TK ..

Let’s not forget he wrote that long winded thread telling all us Dogs supporters how we’d all be envious of the Tigers in 23, that they’d finish above us on the ladder and he had them in his top 8 ..

Knows what his talking about this one does .. [emoji6]

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Players come and go… my issue is he is letting go of talented juniors while talking about rebuilding pathways and weakening our pack by letting go of forwards and not replacing them… let alone replacing them with players who are better. But I think my biggest issue is he recruited a rookie coach who seems to be intent on turning us into a second rate Penrith knock off for a massive five years.

I honestly think he’s a bit past it, fam. Wouldn’t be the the first great league mind the game outgrew.

but I can respect opposing views and understand some people think he’s the solution we’ve been waiting for.
Which talented juniors? We won the lower grade comps this year also. No credit for that?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Which talented juniors? We won the lower grade comps this year also. No credit for that?
Two blokes who couldn’t tackle very well.
The #ClownCrew bleated ad nauseam that we leaked points in 2023, so two defensive liabilities are replaced in trying to address that yet that’s also wrong :-).

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were duds. One was a dud on the field and the other off it.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Brilliant post @Flanagun can't disagree or argue with your points. I believe you have always said Gus has too much power. Correct?