Why Boyd will follow Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr333k

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
St George Illawarra fullback Darius Boyd is resigned to leaving the Dragons at the end of the year as he looks to continue playing his NRL career under coach Wayne Bennett.

Halfway through Bennett's press conference last week, the line of questioning switched to Darius Boyd.

Asked about Boyd's future at St George Illawarra, Bennett replied: "That's Darius's decision. You'll have to ask him."

In his only interview since Bennett's announcement, Boyd said he had already come to terms that he would also be leaving the Dragons. He doesn't want to play under any other coach.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"I want to do what he wants to do, wherever he goes, I want to keep playing under him," Boyd said.

The dream scenario for Boyd is for Bennett to choose Brisbane Broncos and take him as well.

"I would love to eventually get home," Boyd said.

If the cards fall his way, Boyd is reluctant to fill the five-eighth boots of Darren Lockyer at the Broncos, but he also refused to rule it out completely.

"I played (five-eighth) in the Charity Shield," Boyd said. "I really enjoyed it. I've really enjoyed my time at fullback and I really think it's my best position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you agree with Darius Boyd's position of wanting to be a one-coach player? Post your thoughts at the bottom of the page.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"While I've had fun at five-eighth, it's a pretty big role. I wouldn't really want to be playing it, especially after the best player in the world has played that position. I'd never say no if all the cards went that way, (but) I do like fullback."

Bennett and Boyd have spoken several times about the star fullback wanting to follow the coach should he leave. It's a well-known fact that Bennett represents more than just a coach to Boyd. He is the only father-figure in his life.

Boyd has never known his dad.

"I did not meet my dad," he says. His mother guided him through life until he was 15, when things became unsettled for her.

"I had a pretty normal childhood," Boyd says.

"I was always with my mum. She was great for me in those years, she did a really good job.

"But my mum, I don't want to talk about it too much, she just, she became mentally unwell."

This forced Boyd to live with some family friends in Year 11. In Year 12, his grandmother, Delphine, took him to the Gold Coast.

"She's been there the last eight or so years, she's been my No 1 support. It's hard for her, she's by herself."

He travels back and sees her whenever he can. "She is my only family member ... I couldn't expect other people to look after me."

But the bond between Bennett and Boyd has become stronger since they moved to Wollongong.

Boyd recalls a training sessions towards the end of 2009 when life was becoming difficult for him.

Bennett could see it. He pulled him aside after training and asked: "Are you OK? Do you need to talk?"

Boyd broke down.

"Straight away I became upset," Boyd says. "He just knew I wasn't my usual self. He just knew I wasn't on. To be able to pick that.

"To be able to talk to someone I thought was pretty awesome."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ns-with-for-2012/story-fn2mcuj6-1226032764014

If Bennett goes to Souths, who will make way for Boyd? Sutton or Wesser?

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know a lot of people dislike Wayne Bennett, but the last part of the article is why the players love playing under him. They always talk about Wayne being able to bond with them despite being so much older and different personality to most players. All the league player's bios I have read that have played under Wayne all say the same thing about him being a father figure and being able to get the best out of the players.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
That's nice for Darius and all, but if he goes to Broncos I'm pretty sure they have a fullback there who's going pretty well. Sucks for him if Bennett and Boyd end up there and he gets shafted.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How can one player suck so much coaching cock?

Sticking to one coach your whole sporting career stuns your ability to grow as a player. Bennet is the best of the business and Boyd is lucky to have spent so many years under him, but he is not God.

Why not take the opportunity to see what other coaches have to offer to your playing skills?

Considering his problems as a child, it looks more like Boyd is after a father figure in his life.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like Boyd needs to drink a cup of concrete and harden the phuk up.

Either way, he is going to shaft a player wherever he goes. Replacing Lockyer at number 6 would be interesting.

G

Gladiator.

Bennett brings out the best of the players, this article shows why he is considered one of the greatest coaches. If Darius wants to follow, good on him he clearly respects and loves the man.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Bennett brings out the best of the players, this article shows why he is considered one of the greatest coaches. If Darius wants to follow, good on him he clearly respects and loves the man.
Player shouldn't put the coach above their team mates in my opinion. You playe with 16 other blokes every week, you'd want to to think each one wants to play with each other, not just **** off when the coach leaves.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Player shouldn't put the coach above their team mates in my opinion. You playe with 16 other blokes every week, you'd want to to think each one wants to play with each other, not just **** off when the coach leaves.
I thought the same until I read that bottom part of the article. Obviously with Boyd it's different given him family issues and Bennett is the closest thing he's had to a father in his life.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't care that Boyd wants to follow Bennett, anything that negatively impacts on St George is good in my books.

Might be interesting to see him at five-eighth regularly. He struggles to score tries from fullback, but he offers a lot in terms of assists for other players in the team.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am so over Bennett..... he won 6 comps with a team full of Origin players and Internationals,
who were so far over the cap its not funny.... he scraped over the line last year with a
team of chokers, who got lucky, as the Tig-pies deserved to beat them in the semi last year...

This is a man who told players like Petro to take a pay cut to stay with the club.... when Benny
was getting under the table money from the Thorough Breds.... one who tried to sneak out from
them and get a job at the Rorters until he was caught out.... he started negoiating with the
Broncos in January, and has basically told everyone that he came to the Dragons to do a job,
and now he can fark off because it has been done....

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think with Boyd not ever having a father in his life and then Wayne Bennett comes into his life and suddenly he has this guy who for the first time in his life feels like he can guide him and offer advice like a Dad would do. He doesn't want to be away from this guy who he obviously has a huge amount of respect for, and now he wants to live his daily life being in close contact with him. I can understand that. If he can get his wish and play under Bennett his entire career, good luck to him.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Yep, I rekon Boyd will follow Bennet to Souths and replace Wesser as fullback

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Yep, I rekon Boyd will follow Bennet to Souths and replace Wesser as fullback
Can souffs afford him?

Oh that's right the salary cap doesn't apply to Rusty

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can souffs afford him?

Oh that's right the salary cap doesn't apply to Rusty
And if all else fails there's an entire 25 man squad to try offload.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
is boyd going to retire if bennett decides to also?

Doesnt Boyd know Bennett is always a phone call away. Even when other players have left, they still used to call up bennett for advice.

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
lmao boyd is sucking on waynes old wrinkly cock like no tomrrow !

Who cared anyways I hope the dragons fail this year !

Boyd is a flop anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.