Why a loss won't hurt the Dogs - Jason Taylor - SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Canterbury have developed into the best team in the competition and they deserve to be premiership favourites. However, the best team doesn't always win the grand final. Believe it or not, if the Dogs are to be premiers this season, a loss right now is just what they need.

The Bulldogs are vulnerable at present and ready to be beaten. Their run of consecutive wins won't last forever and, if the Tigers are on their game this evening, it could end tonight. Despite winning their past two games, the Dogs are down on form. They were out-played by the Broncos last week, even though they won the game. And while it is possible that the scare Canterbury got from the Broncos will be enough to get them firing again, nothing re-focuses a team like a loss.

Two weeks ago in Newcastle the Bulldogs blew the Knights off the park by scoring four tries inside the first 20 minutes. However, from that point on, the only points the Bulldogs scored were from a penalty goal in the last minute of play. Last week against Brisbane, the Dogs were on the receiving end of a similar fast-start with the Broncos jumping to a 14-0 after only 14 minutes. Canterbury eventually hit back with a try to Josh Jackson only three minutes before half-time. Prior to this try, however, the Dogs had played 100 minutes of football without scoring a try. In fact, the score line for the 100 minutes before the Jackson try was 24 points to the opposition and two to Canterbury.

While the lack of points in that period will be a concern for coach Des Hasler, it is the way the Broncos broke through the Dogs' defence in the first half that will be most alarming. The last thing a coach wants to see is his team conceding breaks - and tries - through its defensive line instead of around it.

Picture one is from the Broncos' first try last week after only one and a half minutes. In the lead-up, Brisbane produced a Canterbury-like play with some nice passing among their forwards. However, the crucial part from the Dogs' perspective was when Ben Hunt committed Kris Keating to tackle him and Josh Morris didn't react. Morris simply had to move in-field to tackle Ben Te'o and the try wouldn't have been scored. As it was, Morris hardly got a hand to Te'o, who ran straight through the hole and over Ben Barba to score.

Picture two is the lead-up to a break made up the middle of the field last week by Ben Hannant. As Hannant carried the ball forward, he angled slightly to his right to pass the ball to Josh McGuire, who was running in support. Before Hannant passed the ball, Dogs defender Frank Pritchard moved forward to tackle McGuire, which opened up half a hole for Hannant. This put Hannant one-on-one with Michael Ennis. Without help from Pritchard, Ennis wasn't able to bring down Hannant and the Broncos front-rower broke through the line before being stopped by Barba. This was the Broncos' fourth clean break through the Bulldogs defensive line in 23 minutes. Brisbane's inability to convert two of these breaks into tries ultimately cost them the game.

Although the Bulldogs have been down on form in their last game and a half, their ability to still record victories is a great sign. After 11 straight wins, their confidence is obviously sky high. However, I'm sure the catch phrase around Belmore Oval this week has been, "yes we won, but we have to improve." But, as any coach will tell you, it is much harder to get your team to learn the lessons from last week's game on the back of a win than it is on the back of a loss. Then again, Hasler isn't just any coach.

Watching this Bulldogs team over the next few weeks is going to be riveting. Every game they win gets them closer to their next loss. And if they don't have a loss soon, they'll miss their chance to take some of the pressure off. You see, there is already enough pressure in winning a comp. But if these guys keep winning they will need 17 straight to win the grand final. This would smash the record set by the Rabbitohs in 1925 of 12 straight victories to win the premiership - an undefeated run. On top of that, Hasler is in line to become the first coach in history to coach consecutive premierships at different clubs. While there is absolutely no doubt Hasler is good enough to achieve the second of these accomplishments, I believe the first one is too much to ask in this day and age. Time will tell as win No.12 awaits the Dogs tonight.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/why-a-loss-wont-hurt-the-dogs-20120816-24bjo.html#ixzz23iubN5CS[/url]

This guy does think too deeply. He does not factor in how we raise our intensity when we are behind and how we lower our intensity when we are far in front.

MAL75E

Man Of The Match
Reaction score
What a douche jason taylor is no wonder he got punched by one of his own players i feel like punching him in the face every time he makes an article about the dogs, he hasnt had a good thing to say about them always putting us down he needs to shut the F&$k up and f$&k off back to the under 20s where he belongs

WestieDog

Zambuck
Reaction score
This guy is the biggest dribbler hawking his so-called expert knowledge around the media traps - and that's saying something when you have the likes of Daley, Alexander, Fittler and co in the same field.

Numpty player, numpty coach, numpty pundit.

bullpup1971

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
yes with that being said ,there are a few halfwits saying the same like joel cain on the game plan,even joey johns and they have all been wrong.

Talltimber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I actually think what he says has some merit.......for a ********

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Atleast he didn't start raving on about the obstruction rule again.

I don't understand the reasoning that after each win, we are closer to a loss. Each game we play, we play to win, not because we won the last one. It's like tossing a coin, if after tossing 10 heads in a row, the chances of tossing a head again is still 50/50, makes no difference what the previous results were.

There is no reason why we can't win each game from here on in if Des has the boys ready each week.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury have developed into the best team in the competition and they deserve to be premiership favourites.
Thanks Jason, today we're the best team in the comp, three weeks ago we were cheats. This grub has as much credibility as a politician at election time... None!

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Astounding article !!!

I have never read such a desperate attempt to divert logical thinking down the path of idiocy.
This man clearly thinks everyone is an idiot !

Let me point out the key theme here .....

- the best team doesn't always win the grand final.
- a loss right now is just what they need.
- The Bulldogs are vulnerable at present and ready to be beaten.
- Their run of consecutive wins won't last forever
- if the Tigers are on their game this evening, it could end tonight.
- the Dogs are down on form.
- They were out-played by the Broncos last week, even though they won the game.
- nothing re-focuses a team like a loss.
- the Dogs had played 100 minutes of football without scoring a try. In fact, the score line for the 100 minutes before the Jackson try was 24 points to the opposition and two to Canterbury.
Are you catching his drift yet ???

Picture one is from the Broncos' first try last week after only one and a half minutes. In the lead-up, Brisbane produced a Canterbury-like play with some nice passing among their forwards. However, the crucial part from the Dogs' perspective was when Ben Hunt committed Kris Keating to tackle him and Josh Morris didn't react. Morris simply had to move in-field to tackle Ben Te'o and the try wouldn't have been scored. As it was, Morris hardly got a hand to Te'o, who ran straight through the hole and over Ben Barba to score.
Never mind the fact it's an 80min game and this try was scored in the first 90seconds of it.
Never mind the fact it was Keating's 1st game back from injury.

Taylor would have us believe our entire defensive structure is leaking like a sieve, and that 90seconds dictates the outcome after 80mins.

Picture two is the lead-up to a break made up the middle of the field last week by Ben Hannant. As Hannant carried the ball forward, he angled slightly to his right to pass the ball to Josh McGuire, who was running in support. Before Hannant passed the ball, Dogs defender Frank Pritchard moved forward to tackle McGuire, which opened up half a hole for Hannant. This put Hannant one-on-one with Michael Ennis. Without help from Pritchard, Ennis wasn't able to bring down Hannant and the Broncos front-rower broke through the line before being stopped by Barba. This was the Broncos' fourth clean break through the Bulldogs defensive line in 23 minutes. Brisbane's inability to convert two of these breaks into tries ultimately cost them the game.
Not content with his first failure, here's a second attempt to highlight invented facts ... Note there is nothing to be said for our scramble defence and Barba's ability to tackle above his weight.

We don't want logic or balance to get in the road of our tin-foil hat theories now do we ?

And while we're at it, lets completely ignore the facts that we endured 15mins of ambush, THEN ground-out the sets for 20mins without error, before scoring 4 tries in 40minutes to ultimately run down a Broncos 14-point lead AND keep them scoreless for 67 minutes !!!

So let's back to what he's really trying to suggest ...

- the Bulldogs have been down on form in their last game and a half
- the catch phrase around Belmore Oval this week has been, "yes we won, but we have to improve."
- it is much harder to get your team to learn the lessons from last week's game on the back of a win than it is on the back of a loss.
- Every game they win gets them closer to their next loss.
- if they don't have a loss soon, they'll miss their chance to take some of the pressure off.
- there is already enough pressure in winning a comp.
If Jason Taylor has been there, I'd imagine he's ONLY been to Belmore as a spectator, and would have NFI what gets said around the place.

Furthermore, Jason Taylor has never won a comp. Probably only strung 12 wins together back in the days of St.Gregs.

I'd like to finish by quoting the teacher from Billy Madison ....

Mr. Taylor, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
People are saying we need to get the monkey off our back but I reckon we can call last weeks poor start our loss and get on with it.
Are we starting to be treated like the Storm and not liked so much?
Winners are grinners and I believe we might drop the first semi but then go on with it.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How much hate does this fu©kwit have for the Dogs.

I sure hope that we create our own history so we can prove to everyone that anything is possible

FMD

So over this ©unt!

Alphamale

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Remind me again how many premierships this guy was part of in his playing/coaching Career spanning 19 years?

Oh that's right, none.

Remembered only for being part of the epic Parra fail of the 2001 GF, and punching on with players when coaching before getting the arse.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Astounding article !!!

I have never read such a desperate attempt to divert logical thinking down the path of idiocy.
This man clearly thinks everyone is an idiot !

Let me point out the key theme here .....

Are you catching his drift yet ???

Never mind the fact it's an 80min game and this try was scored in the first 90seconds of it.
Never mind the fact it was Keating's 1st game back from injury.

Taylor would have us believe our entire defensive structure is leaking like a sieve, and that 90seconds dictates the outcome after 80mins.

Not content with his first failure, here's a second attempt to highlight invented facts ... Note there is nothing to be said for our scramble defence and Barba's ability to tackle above his weight.

We don't want logic or balance to get in the road of our tin-foil hat theories now do we ?

And while we're at it, lets completely ignore the facts that we endured 15mins of ambush, THEN ground-out the sets for 20mins without error, before scoring 4 tries in 40minutes to ultimately run down a Broncos 14-point lead AND keep them scoreless for 67 minutes !!!

So let's back to what he's really trying to suggest ...

If Jason Taylor has been there, I'd imagine he's ONLY been to Belmore as a spectator, and would have NFI what gets said around the place.

Furthermore, Jason Taylor has never won a comp. Probably only strung 12 wins together back in the days of St.Gregs.

I'd like to finish by quoting the teacher from Billy Madison ....

Mr. Taylor, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Well said and you articulated with clear definitition and I agree with every point made.

JT is just a ©unt in this artical he has failed to point out the Dogs positives throughout the whole 80 mins of that match.

We were resilient, got back into form, completed sets, restructured and that's how we won the game.

Every article I've read of his on this forum has been nothing but negatives about the Bulldogs nothing constructive at all.

What di©k

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
We were very ordinary and beat them in Round 18. God help them tonight if Kas and Bupa are ready to fire after a spell.

I expect we will lose one before the finals but not this one.

Canberra in Canberra on a Friday night with it snowing down the road will be very tough. We need to pull out a big one tonight to guarantee top spot come seasons end.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
his obstruction article didn't have any impact, so he is trying to hope we will be complacent....when will this idiot learn that nobody listens to him!

P

Promiscuous

Atleast he didn't start raving on about the obstruction rule again.

I don't understand the reasoning that after each win, we are closer to a loss. Each game we play, we play to win, not because we won the last one. It's like tossing a coin, if after tossing 10 heads in a row, the chances of tossing a head again is still 50/50, makes no difference what the previous results were.

There is no reason why we can't win each game from here on in if Des has the boys ready each week.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
agree with everyone except the htc bit

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
is it butthurt trauma from not getting a look in for Coach?

Does he have lingering childhood issues which invoke his screams for relevance?

Is he embarrassed that he sits down to pee through a gutted rabbit?

whatever it is with this guy he needs to be helped -

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Taylor is an expert at making losses sound like a good thing. He had to when he was coaching.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Put it this way, we win tonight and its 12 in a row. The prospect then of potentially winning 5 straight does not sound that daunting. We have Des!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ahhhh I see "Coach of the Year" is at it again.

The only loss we need, is for Taylor get get lost somewhere and disappear from the media into oblivion. The seething hatred from this guy towards the Dogs only furthurs to lower credibility of SMH journalists as a whole. Whoever gave him the space to write articles needs sacking. Heaven forbid if the Dogs win the premiership, what would he write about then.

I'm going to say it ..... He's worse than Manly's worst supporter! Rubbish coach, gutter journalist, and far outdoes all of Danny Weilder's efforts in just 3 articles.

David Fa'alogo is obviously to blame here. Taylor hasn't been the same (mentally) since DF gave him a hiding. Probably knocked the only sense and limited IQ he had out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.