Opinion Who would you prefer out of Ben Hunt or Shaun Johnson ?

Who would you prefer out of Hunt or Johnson

• Total voters

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thompson's money going to Critta but we also have Flanagan and Waddell off contract (others like Okunbor too) and we get Cotric and Allan's money back into the cap since we've been contributing towards their salaries at other clubs. We'd be able to scramble enough salary cap to match what Hunt's on at Dragon.

Dragon would be stupid to let Hunt go. Amone overated imo (Hunt and Sullivan should be Dragon halves). It would have to be Hunt forcing a release/kicking stones.
Dont count on Thompson or Waddell going anywhere.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fairly easy choice - SJ. Far more potent attacking and kicking this season. Probably been the best no.7 so far.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not even a question. The aim, right now, in bringing in an experienced half is to have a mentor for our young halves. SJ might be the more impactful player right now but Hunt is WAY more developed. SJ's career has been REALLY hot and cold (moreso than just about any player in the game right now). He's playing well at the Warriors but before he re-joined them he was not looking so great.

As others have noted, though, it's a moot point. SJ isn't leaving NZ.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't understand the Huntmania - he is a good player but a better 9 than 7, and we have got an elite 9. Broncos chose Kodi Nikorima over him to play 7, and, it could be argued he reinvented himself as a 9 to stay in first grade. St George play him in either spot, depending on their needs of the moment. We would also have to pay massive overs to get him, and no club wins a premiership with over paid players on their roster without rorting the salary cap.

MOVE.80

M-Power
Reaction score
I don't understand the Huntmania - he is a good player but a better 9 than 7, and we have got an elite 9. Broncos chose Kodi Nikorima over him to play 7, and, it could be argued he reinvented himself as a 9 to stay in first grade. St George play him in either spot, depending on their needs of the moment. We would also have to pay massive overs to get him, and no club wins a premiership with over paid players on their roster without rorting the salary cap.
He's an experienced halfback, game manager and big game player as seen on multiple occasions in origin.

The bloke came close to winning the Dally M last year in a side that didn't even make the finals. He is exactly what we need moving forward.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Something a lot of ppl arent considering....Hunt is 33.

chihuahua dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Knowing our luck SJ would do an Achilles in a trial match and be out for season anyway. Hunt seems more durable

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Shaun Johnson set up 3 tries tonight for the Warriors and has been playing very good lately. I don't know when was the last time Hunt set up 3 in 1 game for the Dragons.

I'd prefer Johnson and he'd be a bit cheaper than the 1.2M or close Hunt would be seeking. We need money for middles too.

It would have to be a pretty decent offer to get Johnson to leave his family in NZ again. If I were Gus I'd offer him up to 750K a season for 2 years and hope we pick up a decent middle also
You would think the decision has already been made...
IMO
Johnson is the more brilliant and skillful player, he is my kind of halfback !
Hunt is the more dependable player out of the two but his success has been more as a hooker than a halfback.
If it's up to me I would offer Johnson who is a year younger an offer he can't refuse and the Warriors can't match !!!
But I would be very happy with any of the two.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's an experienced halfback, game manager and big game player as seen on multiple occasions in origin.

The bloke came close to winning the Dally M last year in a side that didn't even make the finals. He is exactly what we need moving forward.
You can easily see 2 injury safe years with Hunt over Johnson too.. Johnson is far a better player this year but can break down anytime.

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Something a lot of ppl arent considering....Hunt is 33.
33 is the new late 20’s now. So much science goes into their bodies now and 100’s of $$ goes into recovery each week
DCE and Hunt are great examples of this

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You can easily see 2 injury safe years with Hunt over Johnson too.. Johnson is far a better player this year but can break down anytime.
Hunt is Cameron Smith levels fit, doesn't look like breaking down anytime soon.