Opinion Who would you prefer out of Ben Hunt or Shaun Johnson ?

Who would you prefer out of Hunt or Johnson

• Total voters

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shaun Johnson set up 3 tries tonight for the Warriors and has been playing very good lately. I don't know when was the last time Hunt set up 3 in 1 game for the Dragons.

I'd prefer Johnson and he'd be a bit cheaper than the 1.2M or close Hunt would be seeking. We need money for middles too.

It would have to be a pretty decent offer to get Johnson to leave his family in NZ again. If I were Gus I'd offer him up to 750K a season for 2 years and hope we pick up a decent middle also

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Ben's career has been way more consistent then Shaun's 2 good seasons like 8 years apart. Yet for me Ben has troubles in big moments at times. Ben by a nose as he's a good #9 as well.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shaun Johnson already rejected the Tigers and their big money contract. Why would he come to us. He said i'll either retire or play for 1 more year at the Warriors. He doesn't want to leave NZ.

Ben Hunt is the better player and is more consistent.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
By all accounts Shaun isn’t even available. Hell go around with warriors or pull up stumps.

Hunt and million dollars should not be used in the same sentence. Decent player. Probably a second tier half. So shouldn’t be on first tier money.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
SJ is a Warrior through and through. The love he has for his club and country with his family back home is what's got us seeing him at career best form. He won't be like this with us or anyone else for that matter.

Hunt is the perfect player we're after. He's an international and state rep and has been carrying a basket case squad and club for half a decade on his own. Burton at 6 and Hunt at 7 would be fucking fire. Let Hunt do the dirty work and game management, and let Burton do the flashy shit and running.

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we won't get them imo

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunt would be a good fit with Burton in the halves for us but how can we afford him and why would the Dragons let him go?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hunt would be a good fit with Burton in the halves for us but how can we afford him and why would the Dragons let him go?
Thompson's money going to Critta but we also have Flanagan and Waddell off contract (others like Okunbor too) and we get Cotric and Allan's money back into the cap since we've been contributing towards their salaries at other clubs. We'd be able to scramble enough salary cap to match what Hunt's on at Dragon.

Dragon would be stupid to let Hunt go. Amone overated imo (Hunt and Sullivan should be Dragon halves). It would have to be Hunt forcing a release/kicking stones.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Johnson has had a few great years, but IMO the fact that his great seasons have been well spaced apart tells me getting his mentality right is the key. There's no guarantee that he'd fall into great form with us. I used to think he was a glorified running half and better suited to 5/8. More recently he seems to have gotten better as a game manager.

I've not really followed Hunt as closely, but he seems more inclined to be the game manager than an out and out running threat. He's still got some running ability, but it's not the main string in his bow. And he's probably been more consistent throughout his career, while not having those occasional seasons where he looks outstanding.

Unless we could guarantee Johnson was going to be at his best mixing game management with running I think the potential for success is not guaranteed. Hunt is probably more likely to consistently get more out of his team mates, while not always looking like a big game breaker.

So I'd prefer Hunt. At this stage though if we didn't get either, I'd not be overly upset.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
SJ is a Warrior through and through. The love he has for his club and country with his family back home is what's got us seeing him at career best form. He won't be like this with us or anyone else for that matter.

Hunt is the perfect player we're after. He's an international and state rep and has been carrying a basket case squad and club for half a decade on his own. Burton at 6 and Hunt at 7 would be fucking fire. Let Hunt do the dirty work and game management, and let Burton do the flashy shit and running.
This

Close thread

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Neither will come here but Sean is the better player. Although not sure if hes as good playing for another team outside warriors

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
When we had the chance for SJ I would have definitely gone him, but he’s to much about NZ and playing for his country, doesn’t want to be here. also he’s very rocks and diamonds! even though he has great moments. So 100% Benny Hunt for the doggs of war to start establishing something with a genuine 7.