• Aiden Sezer 450

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Gareth Widdop 300

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
I have watched all 4 games this year and I have identified the need for a new halfback.
Problem is we don’t have the money to buy a marquee half.
I’m sorry we just don’t.

we are going to have to shed Corey Allen and Kyle Flanagan as is. It’ll cost us a bit probably.
I believe we are going to have to buy someone under 500k.
This is cheap for a half. Which is the problem.

we blew our chance at Townsend when he could have come cheap. And missed out on SJ.

does anyone have ideas?
These are mine:
George Williams.
This to me is target number 1. He is to us what the Donbas is to Russia. The holy grail. It is my opinion that 500 might be enough to get him. Maybe not. But we should have hard talks with his people.
By any measure he was a top 8 half when he was with the raiders and only went back to England because his gf had to have family around her during the breed.
He slots in perfect. Can organise and have spark. The absolute solution.
Failing him, I believe next best option is:

Albert Kelly.
I peg him as probably worth 400k. His disciplinary record might mean he comes cheap and that’s something we have to take advantage of.
He has that aboriginal class that’s hard to describe. He took us apart in round two when we got thrashed by the broncos.
I think if we wanted him, we could get him. A two year deal whilst Hayward and the Lebanese Foran dude get ready.

Jai Field.
Probably could nab him for 300. He was a good player.
I’ve watched him In super league and he carves up. Has good speed between his legs and can slot into fullback. He was decent at st George. Surprised he went to England so young.

Also controversially, I would re-look at Foran. We just haven’t been the same since he left.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets go through your "options"

George Williams- back in England as he got homesick VERY early. You realise just how hard it was for Canberra to keep him and this included multiple trips home, which is hardly practical in the current times.

Albert Kelly- don't make me laugh, he's not a halfback anyway, running 5/8th.

Field- maybe but that hardly suits us we need an experienced half.

Still would be looking at someone like a Sezer or a Maloney in the short term. I can't believe we didn't offer the farm for Reynolds.

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
George Williams!?

You know the Williams we need, greatest halfback of all time 100% win rate, better ball player than flopagan and a better boot too.

The almighty

TREX

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have watched all 4 games this year and I have identified the need for a new halfback.
I’m sorry we just don’t.

we are going to have to shed Corey Allen and Kyle Flanagan as is. It’ll cost us a bit probably.

we blew our chance at Townsend when he could have come cheap. And missed out on SJ.

does anyone have ideas?
These are mine:
George Williams.
This to me is target number 1. He is to us what the Donbas is to Russia. The holy grail. It is my opinion that 500 might be enough to get him. Maybe not. But we should have hard talks with his people.
By any measure he was a top 8 half when he was with the raiders and only went back to England because his gf had to have family around her during the breed.

Albert Kelly.
I peg him as probably worth 400k. His disciplinary record might mean he comes cheap and that’s something we have to take advantage of.
He has that aboriginal class that’s hard to describe. He took us apart in round two when we got thrashed by the broncos.
I think if we wanted him, we could get him. A two year deal whilst Hayward and the Lebanese Foran dude get ready.

Jai Field.
I’ve watched him In super league and he carves up. Has good speed between his legs and can slot into fullback. He was decent at st George. Surprised he went to England so young.

Also controversially, I would re-look at Foran. We just haven’t been the same since he left.
What about Mitchell Moses?

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have much rather signed renoylds the. Anyone. Heck I’d give up jac and dufty to have signed him. With Mahoney coming next year our 6-7-9 would be one of the strongest in the league, oh well

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I’m sorry we just don’t.

does anyone have ideas?
These are mine:
George Williams.

Albert Kelly.

Jai Field.

You identified we need a new halfback. How insightful. Foran lol. As if you can wrench him from Des' arms. He will retire at Manly. Just like Des it's the only place he performs consistently

Last edited:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

George Williams- back in England as he got homesick VERY early. You realise just how hard it was for Canberra to keep him and this included multiple trips home, which is hardly practical in the current times.

Still would be looking at someone like a Sezer or a Maloney in the short term. I can't believe we didn't offer the farm for Reynolds.
Have you watched Reynolds this year ?

He played ok against us but has been absolute shit the next 2 games. Looks old and slow. I doubt he will see out his deal . He clearly has issues with his back.

It’s like the coach situation. The options are pretty bare unless you want to pay $800k for someone like Townsend. Also we have Flanno on $500k next year so unless we miraculously move him on I doubt we have cap space to sign someone.

It would be nice if we had someone in the juniors jump up out of the ground.

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score

George Williams didn’t get homesick himself. His woman did. She was bred up and needed to be around family when she popped. That’s understandable since it was fortress Australia at the time and poms couldn’t enter.

Maloney?
Hes playing park footy in France and is 37.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you watched Reynolds this year ?

He played ok against us but has been absolute shit the next 2 games. Looks old and slow. I doubt he will see out his deal . He clearly has issues with his back.

It’s like the coach situation. The options are pretty bare unless you want to pay $800k for someone like Townsend. Also we have Flanno on $500k next year so unless we miraculously move him on I doubt we have cap space to sign someone.

It would be nice if we had someone in the juniors jump up out of the ground.
I've seen Reynolds and he's been fine, kicked well and organised well, Brisbane are just dog rubbish aside from Staggs and Has really. We need to be realistic there aren't many halves. I'd be looking at the Penrith juniors behind Cleary.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
George Williams didn’t get homesick himself. His woman did. She was bred up and needed to be around family when she popped. That’s understandable since it was fortress Australia at the time and poms couldn’t enter.

Maloney?
Hes playing park footy in France and is 37.
Whether it was him or his wife makes no difference, he isn't coming to Australia again. No team will do it, he's a good player but circumstances mean a big no there.

I'd be looking at the clubs that have set halves mainly Penrith and Melbourne and seeing who is under them. Sharks already got Hynes that way.