Who are your favourite goal kickers of all time?

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Daryl Halligan and Hazem El Masri. Two of the greatest goal kickers ever.
Agree. These 2 miles ahead of the rest with their high %s and the pressure goals they kicked. As an old guy, people must remember, goal kicking changed when leather balls went out. Strike rates went from 70% to 90% for the best kickers.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Agree. These 2 miles ahead of the rest with their high %s and the pressure goals they kicked. As an old guy, people must remember, goal kicking changed when leather balls went out. Strike rates went from 70% to 90% for the best kickers.
Yeh the old balls were heavier and you really had to smash them to get them over the posts. Newer balls are rounder and floatier, and easier to bend the kick which is helpful from the sidelines.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ross Conlon. Pig skin ball and sand. No kicking tees which allow you to position the ball perfectly

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ross Conlon. Pig skin ball and sand. No kicking tees which allow you to position the ball perfectly
Good call. Interesting to see what he would have done with the synthetic balls.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Rickety Rod Wishart with his shorts riding his arse crack and stuttering run up.
Always been a dogs fan but the steelers were my 2nd team.
Also Wayne Bartrim.
Any one remember him??
Wasn't that good a goal kicker but quality lock for dragqueens.
Wayne Bartrim moved on to successfully become a shonky property developer or something who fleeced pensioners out of their life savings if I remember correctly. Should be burnt at the stake the lowlife prick.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh the old balls were heavier and you really had to smash them to get them over the posts. Newer balls are rounder and floatier, and easier to bend the kick which is helpful from the sidelines.
Exactly right, would have hurt toe poking those wet brick like leather balls.
Couple who were good back in the day our own Steve Gearin and Mick Cronin.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A lot of great kickers mentioned already, I think James Maloney was underrated as a kicker (cue the jokes), but seriously, he was decent. A few mentions about O’Connors SOO conversion, got me thinking about some of the more memorable kickers/kicks, like Daleys shank in SOO and then again for Aus (I think they are on YouTube), Ian Herron looking over the shoulder style stance blew my mind as a kid, and what was with Soward ‘the milkman’ routine? Walk back, three steps to the left, one forward, half circle to the right, quarter turn back towards the stands……Just kick the f@#king ball you W@nker!!

Dakdah

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hazem. One of his best kicks was on a windy day, can’t recall who we were playing but I think it was knights, where he basically aimed for the opposite touch line and the wind took it a mile. Straight over

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
In order:

Daryl Halligan - I just loved the way he kicked and made the ball curve particularly from the sideline. I remember against the Broncos in the 1995 Semi Final, he kicked 6/6, and nailed 2 of them from the sideline when the sun was glaring in his eyes.

Hazem El Masri - the GOAT when it comes to goal kickers. He could kick them from all over the field and did not crack under pressure. The game against the Knights in 2002 obviously stands out, but there were so many games that we won due the points differential due to his accurate goal kicking. The fact that he was a handy scorer of tries as well (up there with the best) and a strong defender (just ask Lote Tuqiri and Steven Bell) only adds to his cause of being one of the greatest players ever as well.

Johnathan Thurston - helped win many games for whichever team he played for by kicking goals and setting up tries to be able to take the conversions. Classy player.

You know what the good thing is about those 3 goal kickers? Not only do I consider them the 3 greatest ever, but they all won a premiership with us!

Last edited:

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
This is a ridiculous thread and question.

You ask who is the best kicker on a Bulldogs forum.

OF COURSE people here are going to just say El Masri and Halligan. Sacrilege if they didn’t.

Its like asking ‘what suburban ground has the best memories for you to watch the nrl as a kid?’and of course peopel here on this forum are going to say belmore andnot Oran park.
@Hacky McAxe this is why we need Nasheed as these threads wouldn’t be so cliche and wooden.