Which forward (not hooker) and back would you buy to complete our roster for 2022 ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you were going to buy 1 back and 1 forward (not hooker) to complete our roster for 2022 who would they be ?

For me it would be Kotoni Staggs and either Ryan Matterson or Angus Crichton and here's why.

I can't see us getting Brandon Smith for 2022 (he has family living in Titans territory) so I've have been hoping an unsigned young promising hooker would pop up this year for some club and as luck would have it we might have found one right under our noses in Dietz. So I'm assuming for 2022 we'll be sticking with Dietz or another cheapie like him. No established hookers are available until 2023. I can't see Barrett waiting that long after he watches JMK play a few games.

From the players below off contract this year I assume we would let go of Britt, Crichton, Harding (already gone apparently), Sione Katoa, Lewis, Roumanos and Smith. I think we might keep JMK as back up but on a downgrade hopefully. I also believe Barrett will shed Hopa (500-600K) and Napa ($650K) because they're both on big money and they don't offer enough value. Hopa doesn't create and Napa doesn't make metres.

Renouf Atoni, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Tyrone Harding, Will Hopoate, Sione Katoa, Tui Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, James Roumanos, Chris Smith

Tui Katoa would be on minimum wage so probably worth keeping. Meaney is worth keeping as back up fullback on the same low dollars.

If you look at NRL props available for 2022 there's really no-one better than what we already have in Thompson, Hetherington, Atoni and Ogden. RFM can push up IF needed also. We lack strike in the forwards since CHN departed so if we're saving money at hooker if we don't sign B. Smith (and we're not exactly breaking the bank on our 1, 6 and 7) we need to sign the best attacking forward "available". That would have to be Crichton or Matterson.

Hopa is too slow to create a line break let alone a try or even defend well as we saw on the weekend. We need someone to replace him for 2022 who can create something from nothing or who can convert those half chances into tries and Staggs fits that mould. The Eels are after him big time reportedly. F..k them. We should have a lot more to spend than them given their roster and they still need to re-sign several players on big money including Moses and Sivo. Averillo is just too injury prone so he would be a better option at 14 in 2022 at this stage. Schoupp didn't do much on the weekend (in limited game time) so he's only a 50/50 chance of becoming something special like Staggs. We need to score tries and we need the ability to score them NOW 100% - not just "hope" a junior develops into something great.

If we have a team like the one below for 2022 we'd be a definite top 4 team IMO

1 Corey Allan
2 JAC
3 Nick Cotric
4 Kotoni Staggs
5 Jayden Okunbor
6 Matt Burton
7 Kyle Flanagan
8 Luke Thompson
9 Bradley Dietz / ?
10 Jack Hetherington
11 RFM
12 Ryan Matterson / Angus Crichton
13 Josh Jackson

14 Jake Averillo
15 Adam Elliott
16 Renouf Atoni
17 Ofahiki Ogden

OTHERS
Nick Meaney
JMK
Aaron Schoupp
Paul Alamoti
Ava Seumanufagai
Jackson Topine
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Matt Doorey
Brandon Wakeham
Bailey Biondi-Odo
Tui Katoa
Corey Waddell
Joe Stimson

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If I was signing a centre and second rower it'd be Staggs and Angus Crichton. I think almost everyone would say those two.

Hopoate can be re-signed for less than what he's currently on (currently no more than 500k). I think the safe play is to re-sign Hopoate for what he's worth in 2022 (400k MAX, if he wants/can get more elsewhere we can move him on) and wait for Schoupp or Alamoti, probably the latter.

I'd rather we sign Brandon Smith over both Staggs and Crichton (I actually think Crichton will have a massive 2021 and be one of the Roosters best players) so I'm going to hold onto that until it isn't possible anymore. Piakura also could be better value than Crichton (and similar to other signings Barrett has made) who I actually think is less gettable than Brandon Smith.

I agree no props are "available" on the surface now that Leniu and Guler have been locked up, I'd be moving RFM into the middle as we also have Doorey and Topine coming through. I don't think Doorey would look out of place on the edge right now even.

Elliott's our best forward and will be starting.

We don't have to blow our salary cap for the sake of it, we need to bring in players that fix the positions we need the most (hooker and prop), as well as where we don't have players coming through (blocking pathways). I'm pretty confident Barrett will get it right.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
1. Allan
2. Coates*
3. Cotric
4. Schoupp
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Hetherington
9. B.Smith*
10. Thompson
11. Elliot
12. Topine
13. Jackson (c)

14. Averillo
15. Mariner
16. Atoni
17. Doorey

*Brandon Smith - no explanation needed, best on market now.

* Xavier Coates - 19 years old, powerful, fast and good in the air, will give Flanagan plenty of options on the boot.

* New left edge of Burton and two young talented mates in Topine and Schoupp to have great chemistry.

* A bench with 3x forwards who can handle playing middles or on an edge which gives us plenty of versatility and options

* Averillo for that X-Factor

* Bye bye DWZ and Hopoate

Only issue this lineup has is that Alomati isnt in it and how would we get him in ?
Only way possible is forget Coates, Cotric to the wing and spend that money elsewhere... but where ? Do you punt Mariner and go for Matterson or Angus Crichton ? Do you bench Hetherington and by and elite prop and have to cut either Doorey or Topine for balance... Hard calls to make.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I live in Brisbane and the word is that Staggs wants to stay in Brisbane.
Plus we would be spending wayyy too much on the back line with Jac,Cotric and then Staggs.
You need the right balance of spending with the Salaty cap.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I live in Brisbane and the word is that Staggs wants to stay in Brisbane.
Plus we would be spending wayyy too much on the back line with Jac,Cotric and then Staggs.
You need the right balance of spending with the Salaty cap.
We want him but I don't think we're going to be offering the sort of money he's after. Another club can do that or he can join us for less. We have plenty of options available for us.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Joey Manu and Kikau.. have no idea if they are off contract or not ..

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Unless you’re doing Fantasy League picks, at this stage you’ve only got who’s not contracted for ‘22 to choose from. Somehow, wether it’s by having money in The SC bank or contracted players willing to be moved on for longer deals elsewhere, we’ve got to have room to jump on CONTRACTED players that unexpectantly become available at seasons end right up until Jan.

Some of the biggest signings in the game have been made in that period over the last decade or so and will continue to be until The NRL come up with trade windows or whatever to put a stop to it.

Kyle Flanagan and Corey Allan are two such examples that nobody would have mentioned for the same question this time last year.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as signing players is concerned we need to be mindful that we should be spending more on our spine than we are. if we are successful with a pairing of Burton and Flanno, we will need to significantly increase those contracts to hold onto them, Corey Allan too. so whatever money we have left we can't just go spending it on long term investments. Also we need to remember we have Schoupp, Alamoti. Topine, Doorey (and we also chasing Piakura) coming through too. Part of successful team will be to have a good balance of talented juniors and established players to get the best performance out of the Salary Cap.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am a little surprised that no one is showing concern over Staggs and the fact he is returning from an ACL injury. I, for one, don't want to take a risk on a player as well as pay overs for a player (no matter the caliber) who is returning from such an injury.

He will lose a touch of speed. Confidence will be down a little after returning. It takes a while to both physically and mentally recover.

I think with the loss of Tolman, and most likely Napa - if Thompson can't lead this pack, then a big name prop is what I would be chasing. I wouldn't mind bringing Finucane back tbh. Just need someone who is going to add steel to this team - the loss of Tolman will be huge when it comes to the little things he cleaned up around the ruck. Moving Jackson to lock will fix some of these problems, but big Dale can help solidify that middle.

Or even a Jazz Tevaga. Can cover hooker in a pinch, and just gets through a MOUNTAIN of work.

As for backs, I don't mine Lumelume from Melbourne. Maiko Sivo is another we can target.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There was rumours that Crichton was on the outer so he might be a possibility. As for backs I don’t think we’re going to sign another big name. Schoupp or Avo might be the options there.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There was rumours that Crichton was on the outer so he might be a possibility. As for backs I don’t think we’re going to sign another big name. Schoupp or Avo might be the options there.
Apparently, Crichton doesn't want to go anywhere....

CRICHTON NOT INTERESTED IN MOVE

Before a ball has been kicked in 2021, Angus Crichton is one of the hottest properties on the market for next season.

The Roosters back-rower was in superb form last season and also looked sharp running on the edges in the trial against Canberra in Queanbeyan on Saturday.

But rival clubs can save their time - Crichton has told friends and family he is more than happy at the Roosters and isn't interested in a move elsewhere.

An intelligent, well spoken youngster with a private school education behind him, Crichton is being groomed as Roosters captain in years to come.

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/9f0f6d9e-6072-4824-b26a-18ab4eab5d73

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the club should continue to target younger players like Brendan Piakura and perhaps depth in the spine like Tex Hoy or Phoenix Crossland

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
1 Allen
2 cotric
3 okunbor
4 Alamoti
5 Jac
6 Burton
7 Flannagan
8 Hass
9 deitz
10 Thompson
11 Jackson
12 Antoni
13 Elliot

14 Ogden
15 Hetherington
16 rfm
17 piakura

Last edited:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently, Crichton doesn't want to go anywhere....

CRICHTON NOT INTERESTED IN MOVE

Before a ball has been kicked in 2021, Angus Crichton is one of the hottest properties on the market for next season.

The Roosters back-rower was in superb form last season and also looked sharp running on the edges in the trial against Canberra in Queanbeyan on Saturday.

But rival clubs can save their time - Crichton has told friends and family he is more than happy at the Roosters and isn't interested in a move elsewhere.

An intelligent, well spoken youngster with a private school education behind him, Crichton is being groomed as Roosters captain in years to come.

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/9f0f6d9e-6072-4824-b26a-18ab4eab5d73
From what I heard it wasn’t him wanting to move, more the club wanting to move him on. Possibly bs who knows.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apart from hooker, 1 or 2 really good middle forward for me.
No need for edge forward. Especially if we can get piakura. Already have doorey and topine waiting for opportunity.
Halves and fb sorted.
Wings sorted.
Only need ctr for shor term till alamoti or schoup ready.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't understand why a grown man in the time of his peak earning potential would go to a club because "he has family there", and if he was the sort of player with that mentality, i'd see him as a mummy's boy and wouldn't be interested tbh.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll make a big play for Payne Hass apparently he is disgruntled there and wanting out and from what I’ve been hearing we are in talks with a superstar prop and he is the only player that comes in mind he would be an awesome fit as for an outside back no need I would rather two forwards our backline is already made up for the coming year