Opinion Where was Ogden???????

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Bending the line is the main reason Ogden is even in the team. He certainly isn't there for his defense. Given he barely got over 100 run metres in 45 minutes, he hardly made a serious impression for the main reason he has those 45 minutes. He had a good couple of runs in the first half but went missing after that.

In terms of hit ups Ogden and Tolman are very different. Ogden is bash and barge, Tolman is footwork and body positioning (similar to Jimmy Graham). Nufties seem to think unless a prop does the bash and barge they can't get post contact metres and quick play the balls, the stats show otherwise.

Tolman had just as fast a play the ball as Ogden, and they were both faster than the average for the team. In defense Tolman is more effective, Ogden can make a hit, but too often he doesn't stick, when Tolman is involved in tackles the play the ball is slowed down giving our blokes the extra second or so not only to get back to the line but also to get up off the line and potentially force a dominant tackle. Go back and look at the critical time early in the second half when Warriors were making 50+ metres a set and scored twice, Tolman wasn't there, and Ogden and Sue weren't working hard enough to slow down the charge.

Like I've said before, we need a Prop that combines Ogden's hitup power with Tolman's defensive work and motor. In '04 we had several of them, Price, O'Meley, Asotasi, even big Mace had a pretty good idea in defense, though he sometimes fell off tackles or allowed quick play the balls.
I disagree about Tolman. He get dominated and can't win the ruck..To mention any one from the 04 team with this squad should get you a week ban lol.

Reactions: GDR

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bending the line is the main reason Ogden is even in the team. He certainly isn't there for his defense. Given he barely got over 100 run metres in 45 minutes, he hardly made a serious impression for the main reason he has those 45 minutes. He had a good couple of runs in the first half but went missing after that.

In terms of hit ups Ogden and Tolman are very different. Ogden is bash and barge, Tolman is footwork and body positioning (similar to Jimmy Graham). Nufties seem to think unless a prop does the bash and barge they can't get post contact metres and quick play the balls, the stats show otherwise.

Tolman had just as fast a play the ball as Ogden, and they were both faster than the average for the team. In defense Tolman is more effective, Ogden can make a hit, but too often he doesn't stick, when Tolman is involved in tackles the play the ball is slowed down giving our blokes the extra second or so not only to get back to the line but also to get up off the line and potentially force a dominant tackle. Go back and look at the critical time early in the second half when Warriors were making 50+ metres a set and scored twice, Tolman wasn't there, and Ogden and Sue weren't working hard enough to slow down the charge.

Like I've said before, we need a Prop that combines Ogden's hitup power with Tolman's defensive work and motor. In '04 we had several of them, Price, O'Meley, Asotasi, even big Mace had a pretty good idea in defense, though he sometimes fell off tackles or allowed quick play the balls.
Ahhh you had me going for a second there, I thought you were being serious..... Until you said tolman and footwork in the same sentence.. lol good one...

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Ogden had a poor game, when he is on we are sacrificing defence for offence because he doesn't do many tackles, and when he does he rarely controls the ruck and slows down the PTB. No surprise that those two game breaking tries came when he and Sue were in the middle, Warriors were making easy metres and our line speed became noneexistent, and our edges became vulnerable.

I wanted to see how Ogden and Tolman went as a front row partnership, and actually the first 20 minutes was pretty good, Ogden was making some decent runs, and Tolman was a key contributor to slowing the Warriors in defence.

But at the end of the game Ogden had 12 runs for 108m and 50 pcm. Tolman 13 runs for 105m and 53 pcm. Tolman has twice as many tackles but 2 less missed tackles.

For everyone saying Tolman is powder puff, goes to show you see what you think it true, rather than what is really true. If Tolman was a powder puff today than so was Ogden.
STATS mean absolute fuck all. Tolman couldn't bend the line agaisnt an under 12s team. 5 more weeks to go till this shit show is over and we never ever ever see Tolman on the 4th..

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Odgen was making meters.
But he is very lazy in defence.
Played plenty of minutes yestetday so not sure why the question is being asked?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We all seem to forget...This is a team sport !!!
We are always going to have players that are more effective defensively and others that are more effective offensively.
It's the job of the coach to find the balance in the team, to select the players that can make up the shortfall of their team mates
I don't say that in disrespect to the caretaker Steve G.
Example...Darren Lockyer was a brilliant attacker but couldn't defend if life depended on it especially in his early years, but his team mates covered him, that's how it works that's how the coach makes it work !!!
It doesn't help when we have a team lacking on quality, our million dollar star Foran is made out of glass and seems to limit his involvement in an attempt to avoid injuries, our two most expensive purchases of late DWZ & Thompson have been way below expectations.
Who is to blame the players, the coach, the management who signed them or all the mentioned ???
In my opinion the current and previous failed managements and boards are to blame.