Where is the SPEEED!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoppy10

Waterboy
Reaction score
I'm gonna keep it short and sweet.....
Why do we discourage SPEED..... It must be a issue to be quick at Belmore... and we must be against sprint training.
Grandfinal 98
1. Rod Silva
2. Gavin Lester
3. Shane Marteene
4. Willie Talau
5. Daryl Halligan
1. Luke Patten
2. Utai/Emelio
3. Millard
4. Tonga
5. El Masri

Can anyone see a common feature amongst these two backline 10yrs on.... I'll help you out SLOW..... No disrespect to any of the players cause alot of them are fine players in their own right and would'nt want anyone else their...

1.The only spark/pace we have is Patten and 10yrs earlier it was no one else expect Rocket Rod.....
2. Utai and Lester both short good out of dummy half, quick play the balls... and strong ball runner and quick off the mark....
3. Millard did anyone bother to see how quick he was when we recruited him or not.... yesterday afternoon he could not run down hohahi or Mannering one a 5/8 and hooker the other playing in the backrow... Remember Millard is only 20...... so he is not going to get quicker.... Does'nt know what i line break is but can push the odd flick pass/fluke pass that all gives us hope he can be something but in honest true he won't.... e.g Against South earlier this yr and newcastle i think..... Marteene was the same..... young looked like he might possibly be something but never was.....
4. Tonga all i seem to complement him on this yr is his defence and the way he can go over the sideline on a consistant basis..... Willie Talau was the same a remember a great defender, good ball runner but knew how to stay in the field....
5. Halliagan other times known as the Rock and El Masri...... El Magic is alot better then this bloke and does'nt need his speed to find the try line... I am not disrespecting El Magic but people can see the similarities... great goal kicker not too fast either... El magic is quicker and alot better though....

What happened to the change of heart and direction in 2000's when Folkes made this promise of SPEED, we still seem to be waiting anything that has a bit of pace moves on Lolesi and Vagana............

What do you people think?

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
i tihnk our side now has more speed than back then

P.M.

Ban Ned
Reaction score
good points you made there

our average running speed is probably one of the lowest in the comp

our forwards probly have a better than average speed tbh, but its pretty useless to have a slightly faster forward pack and a slow backline

=Sarah=

Long live MJ
Reaction score
except rod silva jeremiiiiah!!!

they didnt call him rocket 4 nothing.

Snoppy10

Waterboy
Reaction score
You would like too hope so the facilities and training programs and supplements they have at their disposal........... these days that our back line is quicker but really they are still known as slow in this generation....

Whats your point..... Brisbane back line in 98?
1. Lockyer
2. De Vere
3. Renouf
4. Smith
5. Sailor
FEARED and quick always expect a 80m effort....

1. Hunt
2. Boyd
3. Hodges
4. Berrigan
5. Tate...

Brisbane in 06 backline was quicker then the one in 97 but you still look at it 10yrs down the track and you FEAR it............. and the same thought 10yrs earlier

alz_274

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
who cares our players still getthe job done, speed plays a role only in long range efforts like intercepts and linebreaks, obviously these dont occur too often in the game so it doesnt quite matter

hazem is not slow, he kept up with slater wen he made that 100m try agenst us in 2005

patten is does more than enuf for us to expect him to be quick

millard is not slow he was pretty dangerous in last years finals for the dragons and imo folkes should look at how brownie coached millard and employ that into millards game

tonga needs to ressurect his 04form which got him an aussie jumper

utai well i dont need to explain his abilities, ahem 2003agenst roosters final minute give u any idea???

houndmeister

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Millard lives up to his namesake the caravan. Hohaiha left him for dead

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i too was suprised how slow Millard was when chasing Mannering and Hohia

DOGUS

Waterboy
Reaction score
Terry Mortimer (aka 300 Dogs of War) recently made an interesting comment on our lack of speed and the "slugs" we have in our backline. He used to play touch footy on the streets of Lakemba with Josh an Australian under 18 sprint champion who trialled for the dogs and was released for being too fast.

B

Ben Godberts

tovio is quick so is winitana also crisp from memory
cutler is as slow as a wet weekend??

once folkes gets the hacks out of our backline woo hoo

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are defense orientated (It hasn't shown so much this year TBH). The backs we recruit are generally solid in defense and have some flair and vision and usually the ability to break through tackles which suits us in the fact that we score most of our tries through applying pressure on their line. Would you guys like to see us buy more guys like Howland. He was supposed to be fast but never got into any space because he played like a powder-puff. I'll take someone with reasonable pace and talent plus some ability over a speedster who can't break the line or make any impact in any way.

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
**** Millard is nothing. I thought he had SOME speed but he aint got ****..

we need some speed in the backline.

Snoppy10

Waterboy
Reaction score
We have too be rounded and we are not...................... You Supporters forget the time of Nigel Vagana if he was not a excitement machine i'm not here and if Tonga was not a excitement machine in 04 i'm not here........ Tell me people don't love live when Vagana scored 5 against south and people the leading attacking weapon in the NRL and leading try scorer

You people make it out like we are fine with the slownesss... Our forward pack is not what it useto be people.......... People make it out like their the cream of the crop....
Look at Brisbane forward name them all, look at manly (Kite, Menzies, Watmough, King, Rose, Williamson, Stewart and Glenn Hall...
Melbourne- White, Cross, Lima, Tagatase, Smith, Hoffman, Crossman, Johnson, Matt Rua, Kafiusi and Crocker (tell me this is not a rounded forward pack)...
We have our 5 guns and if they don't play their is no pressure applied to their position by anyone Hickey, Armit, Cleal hahahahah what a joke...
Nrth Queensland- Tronc, Payne, Webb, Southern, Faiumenwa, O'Donnell, Lillyman, Cashmere, Matt Scott,
Tigers- Halatau, Harrison, Galloway, Payten, O'hara (dogs recruit), Galea, Gibbs, Heigington, Fulton, FARAH
Parra- Cayless, Hindmarsh, Hindmarsh, Wagon, Cannings, Riddell, Fui Fui Moi Moi, Chad Robinson, Mateo....

These packs have depth ours 1-5 is great but if they are not on form or injuried no one even worth replacing them deserves a spot...
Sharks- even have depth Bird, Gallen, Thompson, Williams, Stapleton, Douglas, Ross....

I'm just sayin 3 yrs ago when we has Mason, Asostai, SBW, O'mealy, Reni, Even anasta a potential lock, Ryan, Myles, Price, Gramiadi..... We had depth and you could understand why the backs lacked potency....

Our pack is not that far ahead as people make it out to be! cause a pack consists of not only 5 but 7 or 8 players.... That is why we do not dominate teams its not easy..... for us....

Mac

lol finch
Reaction score
cutler is a ****ing rocket, shame he cant catch a ball

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hohaia and Mannering are no slouches.. both have pace 2 burn
The NZed comentators on the ABC were claiming that Hohaia was
a junior sprint champion...... still it was disappointing to see Milard
being left behind.....

Speed isn't everything though.... do you remember Brett Howland???

The Coyote

Status
Not open for further replies.