When will the clubs announce these signings?

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ediq is playing Sydney Shield which is two levels below Cup. No chance he will be top 30 so he may get a development contract. Mavoni I would assume will also be a development contract. Stuckey, Cook and Asiata will most likely be top 30 signings.
Stuckey nsw cup or development and cook top 30

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
If looking for further positives out of these younger blokes is that due to not playing they've possibly had a chance to heal/recover from injuries that otherwise might have been unable to get rest with playing......

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stated earlier that these supposed signings are put out there,but nothing official from the club,sign someone then put it out there not 5 weeks prior.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on their track record they probably won’t they usually only announce big nrl names

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A lot of marquee players like Damien cook , DCE & Cody Walker were of a similar age when they got "discovered" in minor leagues across Australia. Even Pappenhausen was shopped around 2 years ago by Storm & Hynes was dropped from Manly's system after playing U20's. Talent scouts are as hit & miss as a blind man shooting at targets these days.
Not DCE though. He was in Manly's Toyota Cup Team for 2 years before playing for Manly's feeder team in QLD Sunshine Coast Eagles & then making his debut in 2011.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Probably just after they pull the wooden spoon out their ass, then they will announce signings to take emphasis off coming last, business strategy, keep buying memberships etc love us.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of these could be real money-ball acquisitions.

I have been hearing a lot of noise on here about their ages (Stuckey, Cook ~22/23) - but remember, they have had virtually 2 seasons ruled out cause of COVID, impeding development.

Trusting Gus' eye here... my only fear is we don't have the cattle in staff to turn these blocks into continued and battled-aged FGers
Not sure if you guys know, Gus has previously used the Moneyball theory when he was a Penrith. They almost won the Premiership that year, constantly rotating players on form and stats.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys know, Gus has previously used the Moneyball theory when he was a Penrith. They almost won the Premiership that year, constantly rotating players on form and stats.
If you look at Penrith over the last few years, they have followed a similar model; Rely largely on juniors, and bring in players to fill certain gaps where you are short.

Maloney, Tamou, Capewell, Whare are names that spring to mind.

Gus won't have as great of an opportunity to do that off the bat, given our junior development has been on a steep decline since the early 2000's - save for a few guns (Barba being one of them). So I think the moneyball approach for now is very much warranted, and displayed by these signings (at least, if they are indeed across the line). It will take a good decade for us to hit the Penrith-level of junior development-first grade transition, given we have a much smaller pool to pull from, and that the system is currently pretty broken.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If you look at Penrith over the last few years, they have followed a similar model; Rely largely on juniors, and bring in players to fill certain gaps where you are short.

Maloney, Tamou, Capewell, Whare are names that spring to mind.

Gus won't have as great of an opportunity to do that off the bat, given our junior development has been on a steep decline since the early 2000's - save for a few guns (Barba being one of them). So I think the moneyball approach for now is very much warranted, and displayed by these signings (at least, if they are indeed across the line). It will take a good decade for us to hit the Penrith-level of junior development-first grade transition, given we have a much smaller pool to pull from, and that the system is currently pretty broken.
I think the Covid effect on the juniors is more of issue for our junior development from 2022 and onwards.

Always a Bulldog

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What happened to the coaching guy Tangatoa, or whatever name he has?

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
How’s alimoti travelling… centre backup for first grade 2021??

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How is he traveling..well there is a thing called covid and all lower grades are cancelled 2 years in a row.
Soooo ask that question again!

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nope!
Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer right!
If you're going to copy and paste you might want to get his name right. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited: